Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Latitude 1.4 4X4 on order which comes with 16" wheels. Is it possible to put on 17" or 18" wheels? Are the other factory wheels in these sizes larger in diameter?

If you put a larger diameter wheel on, can the trip computer and speedometer be calibrated to reflect the new size?

Which wheel size will yield greater gas mileage, larger or smaller?

:) Thanks for any knowledge that anyone has on these questions.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have a Latitude 1.4 4X4 on order which comes with 16" wheels. Is it possible to put on 17" or 18" wheels? Are the other factory wheels in these sizes larger in diameter?

If you put a larger diameter wheel on, can the trip computer and speedometer be calibrated to reflect the new size?

If you put a larger wheel on you usually have to use lower profile tyres to keep the overall diameter similar. The renegade does not have a lot of room to allow much larger tyres.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you put a larger wheel on you usually have to use lower profile tyres to keep the overall diameter similar. The renegade does not have a lot of room to allow much larger tyres.
So are all the larger wheel/tire combos that come on Renegades the same diameter as the 16 inch?

·
Registered
607 Posts

I am also wondering if maybe the Jeep dealership can re-calibrate the Speedometer to accommodate the larger tires if I upgrade to 225/70/16 from the stock sized 215/65/16... @raz-0 would you know?

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Renegade is available with 18" wheels as an option on the North edition (similar to Latitude in the US, I believe) and they're standard on the Limited. The Trailhawk comes with 17" wheels. So yes, all those options are available.

I had similar questions trying to decide between two available Renegades, one with standard 16" wheels and one with the optional 18" ones (see this thread). One thing I did was go to wheel-size.com to compare; as mentioned, since the larger rims come with lower profile tires, the overall outer diameter of the tires was pretty consistent (around 27").

I also read some articles from car sites about the advantages & disadvantages of the larger wheels. Turns out, at least at the level of OEM rims and a car like the Renegade, the advantages are mostly cosmetic--and the disadvantages of higher wheel weight and lower protection (due to shorter tire sidewalls) seem to outweigh any possible handling advantages, again, especially on a car like the Renegade, which isn't exactly a high-zoot sportscar.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Renegade is available with 18" wheels as an option on the North edition (similar to Latitude in the US, I believe) and they're standard on the Limited. The Trailhawk comes with 17" wheels. So yes, all those options are available.

I had similar questions trying to decide between two available Renegades, one with standard 16" wheels and one with the optional 18" ones (see this thread). One thing I did was go to wheel-size.com to compare; as mentioned, since the larger rims come with lower profile tires, the overall outer diameter of the tires was pretty consistent (around 27").

I also read some articles from car sites about the advantages & disadvantages of the larger wheels. Turns out, at least at the level of OEM rims and a car like the Renegade, the advantages are mostly cosmetic--and the disadvantages of higher wheel weight and lower protection (due to shorter tire sidewalls) seem to outweigh any possible handling advantages, again, especially on a car like the Renegade, which isn't exactly a high-zoot sportscar.

The question is: "if you buy a Renegade that already has 16" wheels, and you put 18" wheels on it, or if you just mount taller tires to your 16" wheels, can you have the speedometer re-calibrated at the dealer to correct the accuracy of the MPH or KPH reading due to the unexpected change in wheel/tire diameter?"

·
Registered
356 Posts
The question is: "if you buy a Renegade that already has 16" wheels, and you put 18" wheels on it, or if you just mount taller tires to your 16" wheels, can you have the speedometer re-calibrated at the dealer to correct the accuracy of the MPH or KPH reading due to the unexpected change in wheel/tire diameter?"
Ah. Yes.

Good question; I don't know the answer to that. When I asked this question of a different manufacturer, I was told that +/- 3% in tire diameter was usually the "safe" limit, with regard to electronic stability systems (which read differential tire speeds, among other things). I wouldn't be surprised if the ECM could be reprogrammed to account for larger tires; I would be surprised if the average dealer had the ability or desire to do it. I do note that all stock and optional OEM tires have approximately the same diameter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.