Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Alpine White
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So this is my first "NEW" Jeep. I have a '69 CJ5 Willy's. But I bought a new 2022 Renegade Trailhawk. I have a few questions because I'm worried the dealer screwed with me. I bought it brand new I think 11 miles on it, however when I started the normal upgrades aka installing LEDs. I noticed the panel in the wheel well to replace the fog lights was backwards. Yes completely backwards, the pins were even installed backwards, meaning the Phillips head was on the inside not facing the wheel. I fixed this after a bit of tinkering.

Then later I noticed my driver side seatbelt doesn't have the housing on it around the adjustable part. Passenger side does, drivers side no.

To continue adding to the weirdness, my auto start stop feature always says my "battery is charging" so it's not working. Well I've tried this after hooking my battery up and fully charging it. It will after about 15 miles maybe say my battery is charged and start working. From what I've seen I don't believe the '22 renegades have an auxiliary batteries like some wranglers do for the auto start stop. Yes I did swap almost everything over to LED but it should be pulling less power that stock lights did. So I'm very concerned about this. My battery voltage is always 14v while driving, so I don't think it's the alternator. But ideas or thoughts?

And last thing, the oh sh!t handles in the back seat have hooks on them (for what I always knew with other cars was for a clothes hanger) but mine do not spring back into place. The handle does, but the hooks stay in the position you place them in. Is this normal or are they faulty.
I do understand some of these things are stupid. However dropping a pretty penny on this vehicle (over MSRP because the dealer says the tow hooks aren't standard on the trailhawk, this was after talking then down about 5k) I really want to make sure everything is in ship shape and working well.

I am new to this forum and have been searching threads before I finally asked anything. It's actually been about 3 weeks of searching and figured I might as well ask. I know people say the auto start stop is crap but I haven't seen anything about the '22. So hopefully you all can help me.
Thank you,
Spiz

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the group. I have had a 2019 limited and now 2021 Trailhawk, both with the 1.3t. The battery charging thing I solved by putting in an AGM type battery in both had the same symptoms. JEEP just put the cheaper EFB batteries in Renegades.

As for the other two issues, my guess is assembly errors.

·
Registered
169 Posts
have you brought it back to the dealership? one thing i noticed in my 2021 is when you open the front doors and look forward to the engine they just have a type of insulation in there.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I know everyone tries to avoid going to the dealer, but with a vehicle this new, I wouldn't be "fixing" anything myself, no matter how minor. It's plainly obvious the "dealer prep" fee that they always tack on just didn't happen to your vehicle. They are supposed to do the very same thing you are doing; go over the vehicle with a fine toothed comb before you leave the lot.

My suggestion ? Start a list, then take said list to the dealer, let them sort it out. Like you said, you paid good money for this vehicle, you should be doing nothing to it at this stage but driving and smiling.

Some may say I'm being picky, but this is the very reason why Quality Control suffers; we let them get away with it with a dismissive "It's not that big a deal." and do their job for them.

Yes, it's a real pain going back, a real hassle and dealing with the eye-rolls at the dealer with threats of "we are busy, it will take 2-3 days" for them to get to it because they don't want to do it. They are planning on you saying "never mind" and leaving. Just be polite and say, "That's fine." and watch for the shocked look on their face.

I look at it this way; if you go to a steak house and you order a 16 oz filet mignon but instead they bring you a burnt hamburger, would you accept it, eat it and let them charge you for a steak because "It's not that big a deal." ? No, you want what you paid for.

Same thing.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Welcome!

First, I'd agree that since you have a brand-new vehicle, you need to go back to the dealer unless it's something genuinely trivial.

over MSRP because the dealer says the tow hooks aren't standard on the trailhawk
You mean the red recovery hooks -- two in the front bumper, and one in the rear? Those are absolutely standard on the Trailhawk... In fact, standard on any "Trail Ready" Jeep:
Automotive lighting Vehicle Font Motor vehicle Aviation

To continue adding to the weirdness, my auto start stop feature always says my "battery is charging" so it's not working. Well I've tried this after hooking my battery up and fully charging it. It will after about 15 miles maybe say my battery is charged and start working. From what I've seen I don't believe the '22 renegades have an auxiliary batteries like some wranglers do for the auto start stop. Yes I did swap almost everything over to LED but it should be pulling less power that stock lights did. So I'm very concerned about this. My battery voltage is always 14v while driving, so I don't think it's the alternator. But ideas or thoughts?
No, the Renegades don't have -- and haven't had -- an auxiliary battery for the Auto Stop/Start system. It's all done with the primary battery.

Note that there are a lot of conditions that cause the Auto Start/Stop to be unavailable -- basically anything that puts a load on the battery (see the Owner's Manual); plus the battery not being charged. Generally, that means the Auto Stop/Start isn't available for the first bit of the drive.

With my 2021 Trailhawk, bought in April 2021, the Auto Stop/Start was working normally at first. Then, after about six months, I kept getting the "Battery Charging" notification:
Speedometer Car Plant Motor vehicle Tachometer

Even after an hour and a half of Interstate driving. So that wasn't right.

I reported it during the first free dealer service last March. They determined the OEM battery was defective, and gave me a new battery under warranty. Not a Mopar, but a DieHard:
Bumper Auto part Font Magenta Automotive lighting

Note it's an AGM.

The Auto Stop/Start problem seemed solved at first. Then, after about a month, it started showing "Not Ready / Battery Charging" again. Now it seems to be fine again.

I don't particularly like the feature, but I hate having something wrong with the vehicle. So I'll see how it behaves over time. If I need to, I'll take it back to the dealer when i have a chance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My suggestion ? Start a list, then take said list to the dealer, let them sort it out. Like you said, you paid good money for this vehicle, you should be doing nothing to it at this stage but driving and smiling.
This is a wonderful idea. I just notice today that my front brakes are grinding and just normal pulling up to a light braking. I know it "could be" debris in there but I haven't gone off road or anything so I assume the likelihood of that is low. So I'm making a list!

You mean the red recovery hooks -- two in the front bumper, and one in the rear? Those are absolutely standard on the Trailhawk... In fact, standard on any "Trail Ready" Jeep:
Yeah, I asked why it was listed 5k over jeep.com MSRP. They said because of the options on it and pointed out the red tow/recovery hooks. But I know the only options for the trailhawk are 1. Seat material 2. Sunroof 3. Tow package and 4. Mopar idk outside vanity accents? They were just trying to BS me.

No, the Renegades don't have -- and haven't had -- an auxiliary battery for the Auto Stop/Start system. It's all done with the primary battery.
Good to know, I only really found people talking about the Renegades start/stop (ESS) in regards to not liking it. I saw a ton about how the Wrangler JL's had an auxiliary battery under the primary just for the ESS system. So I figured the Renegade might too? But I have no info to back that up besides pulling the battery, and where I live it's already up to 110°F outside so I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. I'm hoping the ESS might help save fuel, so I wanna test it out a bit. If not then maybe I'll have it turned off?

With my 2021 Trailhawk, bought in April 2021, the Auto Stop/Start was working normally at first. Then, after about six months, I kept getting the "Battery Charging" notification
It first started happening the day after I upgraded all my external lights to LEDs. But I knew I ran the battery down a bit while doing it due to checking the lights with the car off. So I threw the battery charger on it that night and made sure it charged it all the way up. But then after I disconnected it and the engine temp too low went away it said charging. Which it shouldn't have been doing. The only load I put on the battery with the vehicle off was unlocking and starting it up. So the battery should be pretty close to full. Maybe I'll try and get an AGM out of them!

I know the lights weren't broke so why replace them, well I like LEDs and the 6000k temperature light better. Plus now my headlights and fog lights together throw out 38,000 lumens 😅 while pulling less current then the stock lights did.

Oh before I go, is it normal the transmission not to shift into neutral when coasting like other automatics do? Sorry I come from many years of driving a manual and I don't know if that's something particular to the trailhawk, an option, or something worse...

I really want to thank everyone for the warm welcomes! I really didn't thing I'd have this many responses so quick! I am glad to be here and I'll keep everyone updated!

Thanks all!
Spiz

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeah, I asked why it was listed 5k over jeep.com MSRP. They said because of the options on it and pointed out the red tow/recovery hooks. But I know the only options for the trailhawk are 1. Seat material 2. Sunroof 3. Tow package and 4. Mopar idk outside vanity accents? They were just trying to BS me.
In the current market conditions, it's not unusual for dealers to charge more than MSRP. If people will pay it, that's what they'll charge. But if they use the tow hooks as an example of why the price was so high, they plain lied to you. Or weren't familiar with their own product...

If you configured the Trailhawk on jeep.com with option packages, the price there should have included those. Our Trailhawk was just a shade under that price when we went to the dealer, but that was in Dec 2020 (we factory-ordered it; but that was then).

I saw a ton about how the Wrangler JL's had an auxiliary battery under the primary just for the ESS system.
I was seeing conflicting information about a possible auxiliary battery. In fact, my USB Service Manual mentions one. But no one could point to where or what it was in the Renegade.

I asked the dealer's service manager about that when I had the service done in March. He confirmed that while some Jeeps had one, the Renegade does not.

If not then maybe I'll have it turned off?
While you can disable the feature for each driving cycle using the switch next to the e-brake switch...
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

...there's unfortunately no way to permanently disable it.

Oh before I go, is it normal the transmission not to shift into neutral when coasting like other automatics do? Sorry I come from many years of driving a manual and I don't know if that's something particular to the trailhawk, an option, or something worse...
This is the first auto transmission vehicle we've owned in our lives -- more than four decades. But no, it doesn't automatically shift into neutral when coasting. I'm not aware of any automatic transmission that do that...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...there's unfortunately no way to permanently disable it.
So I was going to ask the dealer to do it, which they may not be able to do, or get a bypass gate so I can reprogram it from the OBD-II port. I'd actually like to do this to change a few settings, but it's a little expensive if it's just for turning that off and in the '19-'22 Renegades the bypass is located behind the radio, so it may not be worth it?

I'm not aware of any automatic transmission that do that...
Oh I've always had it, I don't know if it specifically shifts into neutral? But it disengages your engine from your transmission when you are not applying gas because otherwise your engine is just slowing you down more. So when you let off the gas and just coast the RPMs drop to idle
My first vehicle was a 98 Chevy Suburban and it did it, and my brother's 09 Mazda Tribute did it as well. The Mazda actually had a "hill decent" button so I would keep the transmission and engine engaged so it wouldn't increase speed while going down a slope.
Again I don't know if this was an "option" for those vehicles and just not something jeep does. Or I was actually thinking it might be designed to keep your turbo spooled up? Idk just a thought.

Does anyone know if a way to have your doors auto lock if the key leaves the detection area of the vehicle? Like if you walked away and forgot to lock it? Or is this not possible on the Renegade? I've tried some of the settings and I actually managed for it to do it once. But I was standing next to the vehicle talking for an extended period of time(like 15 minutes or so). And it should have been able to sense the remote, but I've never been able to reproduce it.

Thanks all,
Spiz

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I've always had it, I don't know if it specifically shifts into neutral?
Sorry I did a little bit of quick research, it disengages the torque converter, allowing the engine to drop to idle. I always assumed it shifted into neutral. But the torque converter makes much more sense!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So I was going to ask the dealer to do it, which they may not be able to do, or get a bypass gate so I can reprogram it from the OBD-II port. I'd actually like to do this to change a few settings, but it's a little expensive if it's just for turning that off and in the '19-'22 Renegades the bypass is located behind the radio, so it may not be worth it?
What's a "bypass gate"? And particularly what are you saying is behind the radio?

Do you mean a sophisticated diagnosis tool that plugs into the OBD2 port, with which you can also re-code the vehicle for certain things? Like VCDS for Volkswagens?

The consensus seems to be that the best such tool for the Renegade is AlfaOBD, which I've just gotten. Quite a bit more complex than VCDS, and I haven't played around with it yet.

But I haven't heard that AlfaOBD can disable the Auto Stop/Start. In fact, the opinion is that nothing can, permanently. To include the dealer, even if the dealer were inclined to do so.

Does anyone know if a way to have your doors auto lock if the key leaves the detection area of the vehicle? Like if you walked away and forgot to lock it? Or is this not possible on the Renegade? I've tried some of the settings and I actually managed for it to do it once. But I was standing next to the vehicle talking for an extended period of time(like 15 minutes or so). And it should have been able to sense the remote, but I've never been able to reproduce it.
There's no such setting through Uconnect. Again, I don't know about AlfaOBD.

Seems like an interesting setting to have. Might be a bit risky, though...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's a "bypass gate"? And particularly what are you saying is behind the radio?

Do you mean a sophisticated diagnosis tool that plugs into the OBD2 port, with which you can also re-code the vehicle for certain things? Like VCDS for Volkswagens?
I haven't done this, just been researching into it. But essentially yes, like normal programmers with more steps.
So Chrysler locked down the obd2 port. You can read but can't write. Essentially they put a digital firewall between the obd2 port and internal ECU so your car technically can't be hacked from an outside source.
You have to get like obdgenie, the tazer (which was originally made for wranglers and adapted to other vehicles in the Chrysler family), or jscan(I don't think jscan will work on the Renegade though). This requires you to bypass the security gate by pairing a security bypass with an obd2 module. The security bypass is accomplished by unplugging two cables from your car and plugging in a small programmer to connect to the obd2 port module. This is in multiple locations (depending on your make, model, and year. In the Renegade I just believe it is after '19 located behind the radio but other models I believe is located by the obd2 port and just a little higher up.)
Once you do this you can change things like ESS always off, change the alarms for your tire pressure, change RPM of idle(this is the only one that resets when you turn off the car) change it to accept low current led lights, without complicated setups or throwing codes, Button remapping, steering wheel shifting using the + and - for Cruse control, while Cruse is off and you are in manual stick mode.
However like I said they are expensive, you can buy just a cable for the security bypass, but I haven't seen anyone do that on Renegades only the paired set of a bypass module and obd2 module.
But it is something you can do. Which I why I said I don't know if the dealer could do it or not. But they have the ability to write to your ECU because they can do software updates and clear codes. I am told you cannot clear a code from the obd2 port with a normal scanner. However I havent throw a code to test if this is true of all scanners or just cheep ones.
I have seen a few performances plugin modules that claim to provide performance increases but who know if those work?
Again I have NOT done this I have just been researching about it. So take everything I say with a grain of salt as I cannot confirm this does 100% work.
Anyways yeah that's what I'm talking about. I ran into it when I was trying to figure out how to get my renegade to accept a set of led fog lights without buying more expensive one to not throw canbus errors. In the end I just bought the other fog lights because it was much cheeper! 😂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The consensus seems to be that the best such tool for the Renegade is AlfaOBD, which I've just gotten. Quite a bit more complex than VCDS, and I haven't played around with it yet.
Thanks for the tip, I might look into that. Keep me updated if you do get around to playing with it? Is it just to like increase performance and timing or what?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I gotta say....you are one brave individual !! As I've said before, the electronics on this vehicle are more sensitive than a teenage girl after her first break up. But you plan on jumping in and modifying the code in a brand new vehicle !?! Mucho huevos !!

It's well documented that if the battery drops about 1 or more volts, your dash will flash like a winning slot machine. If the battery goes flat and you try to start it, chances are it won't and requires a trip to the dealer to get the brain reset because the low voltage scrambles it, possibly locking your tranny in Park, especially if you get a jump from a neighboring vehicle. Something as mundane as replacing the bulbs with a type the electronics do not like will toss errors, amazingly, some that do not point to the bulbs.

Point in case, you replaced your bulbs with LED's that were stated to "work with the Renegade", yet you now have unrelated errors on your dash. The new bulbs ? Who knows, possibly not. The only way to troubleshoot is to put the originals back in as see if the error clears.

The common repair for errors is to disconnect the negative battery cable and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. I have never heard of another vehicle that had this undocumented "fix" that actually works.

But your Jeep, your rules. I wish you nothing but good luck.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I haven't done this, just been researching into it. But essentially yes, like normal programmers with more steps.
So Chrysler locked down the obd2 port. You can read but can't write. Essentially they put a digital firewall between the obd2 port and internal ECU so your car technically can't be hacked from an outside source.
Yes. Since about 2018, the Renegade has had a Security Gateway (SGW), which supposedly prevents remote hacking into the computer -- which I do think is a real concern. But it also prevents -- or discourages -- the use of sophisticated scan tools like AlfaOBD -- and "coincidentally" forces you to go to the dealer to do a simple scan...or at least anything more than a generic fault scan.

Unless you also use an SGW Bypass Module plugged into the separate SGW port. Like I said, I haven't played around with any of this yet, but the SGW port is supposed to be right next to the OBD2 port under the driver's side dashboard.

The SGW Bypass I got was $69 from Z Automotive, simply because again most people here with AlfaOBD seemed to have that kind:

Z Automotive Security Gateway Bypass Module (zicmoto.com)

Trick is that if you keep the SGW Bypass plugged in, I think it'll open up the hacking vulnerability. Plus cause at least raised eyebrows at the dealer when you bring it in for warranty service.

I am not going to use AlfaOBD for sophisticated modifications or adaptation. As Mud Pie wrote, I'd personally be real leery of fooling around with that. It's just that I've been used to having VCDS for our two Mk5 VWs, to do better fault diagnosis than a generic scanner will do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Point in case, you replaced your bulbs with LED's that were stated to "work with the Renegade", yet you now have unrelated errors on your dash. The new bulbs ? Who knows, possibly not. The only way to troubleshoot is to put the originals back in as see if the error clears.
I don't have any errors on my dash. Only threw a "light out" code a few times. But that would be like tire pressure low. Fix the problem and you're good!
I did do alot of research before buying the LEDs! And I only bought ones that I knew would work, actually I found some of it on this site.
The only reason LEDs throw errors is because they draw lower current so your vehicle thinks the bulb is out. I believe this is only on the headlights and fog lights.
I did throw a code when I tried to swap in a pair of fog lights with a fan on them. Like once in a 30 minute drive it would quickly throw "parking light out" however it never stored the codes in the ECU. I just swapped back the ones I knew worked and everything fixed.
Today the ESS worked flawlessly! I'm still going to have them check the battery and try to get an AGM. But who knows.
And researching and doing are two very different things! Plus like I said the programmers are expensive, and I really don't have a use for them. So I have no plans to do any reprogramming. But there are alot of people online that have done it and do it. It doesn't override your settings so you can always go back to stock. Again, it was just stuff I was researching. Plus I do already have a mechanic scanner that can clear codes on the jeep, and I have a Bluetooth one that I can read all the computer info. Boost level, throttle position, ECT, it just can't clear codes. If only they had things like the edge system that they do you diesel truck that plug in after the ECU to give you better performance.
But the LEDs I highly recommend! Worse case scenario if you get ones that arent can bus error free, you have to get a resistor to plug in between the light and car. No big deal.

But you should be able to use the AlfaOBD for reading everything. You just can't clear codes, without the bypass in. And z automotive is the one that sells the tazer.
I'll grab some screen shots tomorrow of the things you can read without doing the bypass. And yeah I wouldn't ever leave the bypass in for good(if I did it). I know the odds of your car getting hacked is slim. But why risk it.
It was just something interesting to talk about.

Unless you also use an SGW Bypass Module plugged into the separate SGW port. Like I said, I haven't played around with any of this yet, but the SGW port is supposed to be right next to the OBD2 port under the driver's side dashboard.
If you have a '19 it's located behind the radio unfortunately(from what research says). But yes alot we're located by the obd2 port. Actually besides reading about it I haven't looked. So maybe look next time you have free time, I will too and report back. Obviously if I can't find it I'm not pulling my dash 😂

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you have a '19 it's located behind the radio unfortunately(from what research says).
The Security Gateway (SGW) module was only added in 2008, I think; which also coincided with the Renegade's only facelift since introduction in 2015. So the Security Module access should certainly be the same ever since 2008; that is, for my 2021 and your 2022.

That having been said, I just crawled under the driver's side dashboard and looked (for the first time in the year that I've had the Trailhawk).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

All I see there offhand is what appears to be the OBD2 port, next to the hood release.

I'm looking through an old thread that I participated in regarding this:

Scan tool question | Jeep Renegade Forum

See my Post #17... I had apparently found that the SGW is accessible by removing a panel under the dashboard -- but I don't know where I'd seen that.

I do now have a USB Service Manual for the 2020 Renegade (latest year the Manual is available for); but it should be the same for 2021 and 2022.

According to the Manual, the SGW looks like this:
Rectangle Wood Line Font Magenta

The connectors are at the bottom. I'm pretty-sure one is for the normal wiring harness always connected there, and the other is where I'd plug in my bypass module.

It says the SGW "is located in the instrument panel, on the driver side, secured to the SGW bracket attached to the outboard side of the instrument panel carrier bulkhead support." I'll have to check again to see exactly where it is. But * whew * it's not behind the radio.

Here are the instructions on how to remove it:
Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Pattern

The SGW is Item #1 in orange.

Not that it says to remove the Body Control Module and its bracket first. But that's if you want to remove the SCW; hopefully the connector is accessible with removing the BCM...

I'm sure it would be, since the dealer (I assume) has to access it each time they do an OBD scan...

Maybe someone who's done this can confirm...?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The SGW was moved, and is now behind the stereo.
I'm not questioning you (well, maybe I am :) ), but what's the reference for that?

When was it moved -- between the 2020 and the 2021 model years? Since my 2020 Service Manual says it's under the driver's side instrument panel...

And why? Does that mean that my SGW bypass module is useless now? And, more generally, so is my AlfaOBD?

·
Registered
34 Posts
According to OBDgenie, the SGW was behind the OBD port in the 2018 Renegade and is behind the stereo starting in 2019. That doesn’t mean your bypass module is useless. It just means it’s a bit more difficult to get to. They have a video for the Cherokee, which has it in the same location.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts