Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Welcome!

First, I'd agree that since you have a brand-new vehicle, you need to go back to the dealer unless it's something genuinely trivial.

over MSRP because the dealer says the tow hooks aren't standard on the trailhawk
You mean the red recovery hooks -- two in the front bumper, and one in the rear? Those are absolutely standard on the Trailhawk... In fact, standard on any "Trail Ready" Jeep:
Automotive lighting Vehicle Font Motor vehicle Aviation

To continue adding to the weirdness, my auto start stop feature always says my "battery is charging" so it's not working. Well I've tried this after hooking my battery up and fully charging it. It will after about 15 miles maybe say my battery is charged and start working. From what I've seen I don't believe the '22 renegades have an auxiliary batteries like some wranglers do for the auto start stop. Yes I did swap almost everything over to LED but it should be pulling less power that stock lights did. So I'm very concerned about this. My battery voltage is always 14v while driving, so I don't think it's the alternator. But ideas or thoughts?
No, the Renegades don't have -- and haven't had -- an auxiliary battery for the Auto Stop/Start system. It's all done with the primary battery.

Note that there are a lot of conditions that cause the Auto Start/Stop to be unavailable -- basically anything that puts a load on the battery (see the Owner's Manual); plus the battery not being charged. Generally, that means the Auto Stop/Start isn't available for the first bit of the drive.

With my 2021 Trailhawk, bought in April 2021, the Auto Stop/Start was working normally at first. Then, after about six months, I kept getting the "Battery Charging" notification:
Speedometer Car Plant Motor vehicle Tachometer

Even after an hour and a half of Interstate driving. So that wasn't right.

I reported it during the first free dealer service last March. They determined the OEM battery was defective, and gave me a new battery under warranty. Not a Mopar, but a DieHard:
Bumper Auto part Font Magenta Automotive lighting

Note it's an AGM.

The Auto Stop/Start problem seemed solved at first. Then, after about a month, it started showing "Not Ready / Battery Charging" again. Now it seems to be fine again.

I don't particularly like the feature, but I hate having something wrong with the vehicle. So I'll see how it behaves over time. If I need to, I'll take it back to the dealer when i have a chance.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yeah, I asked why it was listed 5k over jeep.com MSRP. They said because of the options on it and pointed out the red tow/recovery hooks. But I know the only options for the trailhawk are 1. Seat material 2. Sunroof 3. Tow package and 4. Mopar idk outside vanity accents? They were just trying to BS me.
In the current market conditions, it's not unusual for dealers to charge more than MSRP. If people will pay it, that's what they'll charge. But if they use the tow hooks as an example of why the price was so high, they plain lied to you. Or weren't familiar with their own product...

If you configured the Trailhawk on jeep.com with option packages, the price there should have included those. Our Trailhawk was just a shade under that price when we went to the dealer, but that was in Dec 2020 (we factory-ordered it; but that was then).

I saw a ton about how the Wrangler JL's had an auxiliary battery under the primary just for the ESS system.
I was seeing conflicting information about a possible auxiliary battery. In fact, my USB Service Manual mentions one. But no one could point to where or what it was in the Renegade.

I asked the dealer's service manager about that when I had the service done in March. He confirmed that while some Jeeps had one, the Renegade does not.

If not then maybe I'll have it turned off?
While you can disable the feature for each driving cycle using the switch next to the e-brake switch...
Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

...there's unfortunately no way to permanently disable it.

Oh before I go, is it normal the transmission not to shift into neutral when coasting like other automatics do? Sorry I come from many years of driving a manual and I don't know if that's something particular to the trailhawk, an option, or something worse...
This is the first auto transmission vehicle we've owned in our lives -- more than four decades. But no, it doesn't automatically shift into neutral when coasting. I'm not aware of any automatic transmission that do that...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
So I was going to ask the dealer to do it, which they may not be able to do, or get a bypass gate so I can reprogram it from the OBD-II port. I'd actually like to do this to change a few settings, but it's a little expensive if it's just for turning that off and in the '19-'22 Renegades the bypass is located behind the radio, so it may not be worth it?
What's a "bypass gate"? And particularly what are you saying is behind the radio?

Do you mean a sophisticated diagnosis tool that plugs into the OBD2 port, with which you can also re-code the vehicle for certain things? Like VCDS for Volkswagens?

The consensus seems to be that the best such tool for the Renegade is AlfaOBD, which I've just gotten. Quite a bit more complex than VCDS, and I haven't played around with it yet.

But I haven't heard that AlfaOBD can disable the Auto Stop/Start. In fact, the opinion is that nothing can, permanently. To include the dealer, even if the dealer were inclined to do so.

Does anyone know if a way to have your doors auto lock if the key leaves the detection area of the vehicle? Like if you walked away and forgot to lock it? Or is this not possible on the Renegade? I've tried some of the settings and I actually managed for it to do it once. But I was standing next to the vehicle talking for an extended period of time(like 15 minutes or so). And it should have been able to sense the remote, but I've never been able to reproduce it.
There's no such setting through Uconnect. Again, I don't know about AlfaOBD.

Seems like an interesting setting to have. Might be a bit risky, though...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I haven't done this, just been researching into it. But essentially yes, like normal programmers with more steps.
So Chrysler locked down the obd2 port. You can read but can't write. Essentially they put a digital firewall between the obd2 port and internal ECU so your car technically can't be hacked from an outside source.
Yes. Since about 2018, the Renegade has had a Security Gateway (SGW), which supposedly prevents remote hacking into the computer -- which I do think is a real concern. But it also prevents -- or discourages -- the use of sophisticated scan tools like AlfaOBD -- and "coincidentally" forces you to go to the dealer to do a simple scan...or at least anything more than a generic fault scan.

Unless you also use an SGW Bypass Module plugged into the separate SGW port. Like I said, I haven't played around with any of this yet, but the SGW port is supposed to be right next to the OBD2 port under the driver's side dashboard.

The SGW Bypass I got was $69 from Z Automotive, simply because again most people here with AlfaOBD seemed to have that kind:

Z Automotive Security Gateway Bypass Module (zicmoto.com)

Trick is that if you keep the SGW Bypass plugged in, I think it'll open up the hacking vulnerability. Plus cause at least raised eyebrows at the dealer when you bring it in for warranty service.

I am not going to use AlfaOBD for sophisticated modifications or adaptation. As Mud Pie wrote, I'd personally be real leery of fooling around with that. It's just that I've been used to having VCDS for our two Mk5 VWs, to do better fault diagnosis than a generic scanner will do.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If you have a '19 it's located behind the radio unfortunately(from what research says).
The Security Gateway (SGW) module was only added in 2008, I think; which also coincided with the Renegade's only facelift since introduction in 2015. So the Security Module access should certainly be the same ever since 2008; that is, for my 2021 and your 2022.

That having been said, I just crawled under the driver's side dashboard and looked (for the first time in the year that I've had the Trailhawk).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

All I see there offhand is what appears to be the OBD2 port, next to the hood release.

I'm looking through an old thread that I participated in regarding this:

Scan tool question | Jeep Renegade Forum

See my Post #17... I had apparently found that the SGW is accessible by removing a panel under the dashboard -- but I don't know where I'd seen that.

I do now have a USB Service Manual for the 2020 Renegade (latest year the Manual is available for); but it should be the same for 2021 and 2022.

According to the Manual, the SGW looks like this:
Rectangle Wood Line Font Magenta

The connectors are at the bottom. I'm pretty-sure one is for the normal wiring harness always connected there, and the other is where I'd plug in my bypass module.

It says the SGW "is located in the instrument panel, on the driver side, secured to the SGW bracket attached to the outboard side of the instrument panel carrier bulkhead support." I'll have to check again to see exactly where it is. But * whew * it's not behind the radio.

Here are the instructions on how to remove it:
Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Pattern

The SGW is Item #1 in orange.

Not that it says to remove the Body Control Module and its bracket first. But that's if you want to remove the SCW; hopefully the connector is accessible with removing the BCM...

I'm sure it would be, since the dealer (I assume) has to access it each time they do an OBD scan...

Maybe someone who's done this can confirm...?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The SGW was moved, and is now behind the stereo.
I'm not questioning you (well, maybe I am :) ), but what's the reference for that?

When was it moved -- between the 2020 and the 2021 model years? Since my 2020 Service Manual says it's under the driver's side instrument panel...

And why? Does that mean that my SGW bypass module is useless now? And, more generally, so is my AlfaOBD?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
According to OBDgenie, the SGW was behind the OBD port in the 2018 Renegade and is behind the stereo starting in 2019. That doesn’t mean your bypass module is useless. It just means it’s a bit more difficult to get to. They have a video for the Cherokee, which has it in the same location.

Wow. OBDgenie indeed says that the SGW for the 2019-2021 Renegade is behind the radio.

I'd take that with a grain of salt; but I just dug a bit further under my dashboard following the Service Manual directions. After removing the cover underneath the sash on the driver's side, I got to where I could (barely) see the Body Control Module way back there.

Here's the best photo I managed to take, looking forward inside the left side of the driver's side dashboard. You can see the dead pedal at the bottom, and the OBD2 port just above it. The BCM has the rows of fuses (look like mostly yellow 20A -- good luck of you have to change one of those), and the red cables are plugged into it:
Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk Automotive tire Automotive exterior

But no sign of the SGW; and it doesn't look easy to remove the BCM.

So yet another case where the TechAuthority Service Manual isn't quite correct.

I do see the video for the 2019-2021 Cherokee:

Jeep Cherokee Bypass Module Removal - YouTube

Well, according to the Service manual :rolleyes: , the radio on the Renegade -- at least with the Uconnect 4C NAV unit -- looks like it's easier to remove than the Cherokee's. You have to pry off the bezel around the screen, and the four screws holding in the radio are right there...

Still, they don't make it easy to use a scan tool like AlfaOBD, do they?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
So... I don't foresee doing any extensive adaptation or proxy alignment, since I'm not planning on replacing any modules or components. Everything's set up more-or-less the way I like it, and most common settings are accessible through Uconnect. And I really doubt that theres any way that Auto Stop/Start can be permanently disabled on the current Renegades. (Nice to have the ability to do proxy alignment if I need to, though.)

So I'd be using AlfaOBD most-often to check for fault codes (common ones, and any specific Jeep-related ones) if/when I get a Malfunction Indicator Light (or CEL), and to see if there might not be an inexpensive accessible sensor that I can replace myself. And, of course, to erase the fault(s) afterward, or to see if they were just transitory. That's the way I used my VCDS for our VWs.

Can I at least do that without accessing and bypassing the SGW?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just imagine the added cost to have the dealer clear your codes.... a 10 minute job turns into 2+ hours....when they can fit you in.

Something you used to be able to do in your driveway in seconds.
Yeah. Of course, the rationale is that "only" Jeep dealers have the expertise to be able to fix things.

That may be true in many cases. But in many other cases, a good scan tool (like VCDS for Volkswagens) can pinpoint a particular sensor or other simple plug-in component as the problem; and that can be replaced for $35 or so, plus an hour or so of fumbly DIY work int he garage. Even if it's not quite 100% certain that's the problem, it's often worth it to give that a try yourself.

If you can reach the component... Then of course you need to clear the fault code.

Or sometimes there's a very intermittent (or one-time) fault; the only way to check that, to see whether anything needs to be fixed at all, is to clear the code(s) and see what happens...

Well, at least it doesn't look like getting to the SGW behind the radio is that horribly tough...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Doesn't disconnecting power for like 5 minutes clear those? Idk for sure, this is the first newer car I've had. But in my '04 civic that was always an option?
I'll bet nothing clears any fault codes except... clearing the fault codes. With some kind of tool.

That's the way it is with our 2009 VWs -- using VCDS. And I assume that's the way it is with this Renegade.

But at least, like I wrote above, it doesn't look like it's too tough to remove the radio bezel and remove the radio...

Just... a PITA, just to clear codes... :mad:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
[Dealership] said "the aux battery just isn't charged enough"
I'm 100% convinced there is no ESS aux battery on the Renegade.

Whether the ESS is working properly may seem like a trivial issue. But it may indicate a bigger problem; and whether or not there's an aux battery may be important.

That was one of my first questions when I joined this Forum over a year ago. My Mopar TechAuthority USB Service Manual mentions that the ESS system uses an auxiliary battery. And some members here said they thought there was a "wee" (to use Puddlesplasher's language) battery.

On the other hand, no one on this Forum was able to indicate what it was, or where. And the dealer told me that the Renegade does not have an aux battery (though the Cherokee does).

If the dealer had told me there was an aux battery, my next question would have been, "OK, could you show it to me?"

I've never caught my dealer in a lie (yet). On the other hand, your dealer did tell you that the red Trailhawk tow hooks were an addition-cost option. :)

None of this is proof. Of course, "absence of proof is not proof of absence." and "you can't prove a negative." But if someone has proof that there's an aux ESS battery, I'd love to hear it (where it is, or better a photo).

By the way, my ESS eventually started working again after I complained about the ESS, and the main battery was replaced under warranty. Just not at quick as I remember at first...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I thought the Aux battery, on cars that have that type of stop/start system, is for the car electric/electronics and not the stop/start.
Well, I've posted this screen shot before, from the troubleshooting section of my 2020 USB Service Manual:
Font Paper Typesetting Document Paper product

It mentions an Auxiliary (Vehicle) Battery several times. Sounds authoritative, which is why I initially believed it was critical and exclusive to the ESS system.

You're right -- they seem to be referring to some kind of tiny (coin?) battery that's used to maintain the memories of the various computers, like if you replace the main battery.

But every Renegade (indeed, every vehicle these days) should have that kind of aux battery for the electronics. So why is this Aux Battery highlighted like this under the ESS troubleshooting section? :unsure:

I still don't think there's an Aux Battery that's directly related to the ESS system operating or not. Maybe someone who's more knowledgeable can decypher this...?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Got it. That article seems to confirm what my Service Manual is saying, but it's very general. Doesn't apply specifically to these Renegades, and also not to ESS systems.

My question still is, "OK, if we've got one, what -- and where -- is it?"

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I really want to thank everyone for the warm welcomes! I really didn't thing I'd have this many responses so quick! I am glad to be here and I'll keep everyone updated!
Welcome! If I can make out the flag in your profile, you're in India?

But, um, are you sure you're in the correct Forum and thread? I see that your post above is the first and only post you've ever made on this Forum... so I'm wondering what you're seeing responses to...? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm posting again; because while changing the main battery under warranty seemed to have solved my ESS problem, it doesn't look like Spizro's problem has been addressed.

Now that I've got my new scanner working, here's the bit from the invoice regarding my problem and the dealer's battery replacement:
Font Rectangle Circle Parallel Number

Again, the battery replacement seems to have at least significantly helped the issue.

And again, can anyone actually describe what and where this mysterious ESS "Auxiliary Battery" is? Lead-acid? Coin?

If it's there -- on ESS-equipped vehicles -- then it's there to keep the electronics working when the engine is off. It wouldn't have anything to do with re-starting the engine.

And all the conditions that automatically disable the ESS system either have to do with making sure the main battery can start the engine again (e.g., (main) battery charging); or disable the ESS system when the engine has to keep running (e.g., climate control). So a bad Aux Battery shouldn't disable the ESS...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I just had another piece break on my jeep... A little metal tab that is on the back of the driver and passenger mirror glass. No idea what the heck it does but I can clearly see them on replacement mirror glass. Even found someone else have the same problem. Mine came out in the car wash.
You mean on the outside rearview mirrors? This tab?
Gadget Rectangle Tree Magenta Metal

Automotive lighting Gas Measuring instrument Machine Audio equipment

I suspect it's there to help keep the mirror in alignment. Does that mirror vibrate or move around now?

Do you have a photo? Because I don't see anything like that on my 2021 Trailhawk...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts