Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Alpine White
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So this is my first "NEW" Jeep. I have a '69 CJ5 Willy's. But I bought a new 2022 Renegade Trailhawk. I have a few questions because I'm worried the dealer screwed with me. I bought it brand new I think 11 miles on it, however when I started the normal upgrades aka installing LEDs. I noticed the panel in the wheel well to replace the fog lights was backwards. Yes completely backwards, the pins were even installed backwards, meaning the Phillips head was on the inside not facing the wheel. I fixed this after a bit of tinkering.

Then later I noticed my driver side seatbelt doesn't have the housing on it around the adjustable part. Passenger side does, drivers side no.

To continue adding to the weirdness, my auto start stop feature always says my "battery is charging" so it's not working. Well I've tried this after hooking my battery up and fully charging it. It will after about 15 miles maybe say my battery is charged and start working. From what I've seen I don't believe the '22 renegades have an auxiliary batteries like some wranglers do for the auto start stop. Yes I did swap almost everything over to LED but it should be pulling less power that stock lights did. So I'm very concerned about this. My battery voltage is always 14v while driving, so I don't think it's the alternator. But ideas or thoughts?

And last thing, the oh sh!t handles in the back seat have hooks on them (for what I always knew with other cars was for a clothes hanger) but mine do not spring back into place. The handle does, but the hooks stay in the position you place them in. Is this normal or are they faulty.
I do understand some of these things are stupid. However dropping a pretty penny on this vehicle (over MSRP because the dealer says the tow hooks aren't standard on the trailhawk, this was after talking then down about 5k) I really want to make sure everything is in ship shape and working well.

I am new to this forum and have been searching threads before I finally asked anything. It's actually been about 3 weeks of searching and figured I might as well ask. I know people say the auto start stop is crap but I haven't seen anything about the '22. So hopefully you all can help me.
Thank you,
Spiz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My suggestion ? Start a list, then take said list to the dealer, let them sort it out. Like you said, you paid good money for this vehicle, you should be doing nothing to it at this stage but driving and smiling.
This is a wonderful idea. I just notice today that my front brakes are grinding and just normal pulling up to a light braking. I know it "could be" debris in there but I haven't gone off road or anything so I assume the likelihood of that is low. So I'm making a list!

You mean the red recovery hooks -- two in the front bumper, and one in the rear? Those are absolutely standard on the Trailhawk... In fact, standard on any "Trail Ready" Jeep:
Yeah, I asked why it was listed 5k over jeep.com MSRP. They said because of the options on it and pointed out the red tow/recovery hooks. But I know the only options for the trailhawk are 1. Seat material 2. Sunroof 3. Tow package and 4. Mopar idk outside vanity accents? They were just trying to BS me.

No, the Renegades don't have -- and haven't had -- an auxiliary battery for the Auto Stop/Start system. It's all done with the primary battery.
Good to know, I only really found people talking about the Renegades start/stop (ESS) in regards to not liking it. I saw a ton about how the Wrangler JL's had an auxiliary battery under the primary just for the ESS system. So I figured the Renegade might too? But I have no info to back that up besides pulling the battery, and where I live it's already up to 110°F outside so I'd rather not do that if I don't have to. I'm hoping the ESS might help save fuel, so I wanna test it out a bit. If not then maybe I'll have it turned off?

With my 2021 Trailhawk, bought in April 2021, the Auto Stop/Start was working normally at first. Then, after about six months, I kept getting the "Battery Charging" notification
It first started happening the day after I upgraded all my external lights to LEDs. But I knew I ran the battery down a bit while doing it due to checking the lights with the car off. So I threw the battery charger on it that night and made sure it charged it all the way up. But then after I disconnected it and the engine temp too low went away it said charging. Which it shouldn't have been doing. The only load I put on the battery with the vehicle off was unlocking and starting it up. So the battery should be pretty close to full. Maybe I'll try and get an AGM out of them!

I know the lights weren't broke so why replace them, well I like LEDs and the 6000k temperature light better. Plus now my headlights and fog lights together throw out 38,000 lumens 😅 while pulling less current then the stock lights did.

Oh before I go, is it normal the transmission not to shift into neutral when coasting like other automatics do? Sorry I come from many years of driving a manual and I don't know if that's something particular to the trailhawk, an option, or something worse...

I really want to thank everyone for the warm welcomes! I really didn't thing I'd have this many responses so quick! I am glad to be here and I'll keep everyone updated!

Thanks all!
Spiz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...there's unfortunately no way to permanently disable it.
So I was going to ask the dealer to do it, which they may not be able to do, or get a bypass gate so I can reprogram it from the OBD-II port. I'd actually like to do this to change a few settings, but it's a little expensive if it's just for turning that off and in the '19-'22 Renegades the bypass is located behind the radio, so it may not be worth it?

I'm not aware of any automatic transmission that do that...
Oh I've always had it, I don't know if it specifically shifts into neutral? But it disengages your engine from your transmission when you are not applying gas because otherwise your engine is just slowing you down more. So when you let off the gas and just coast the RPMs drop to idle
My first vehicle was a 98 Chevy Suburban and it did it, and my brother's 09 Mazda Tribute did it as well. The Mazda actually had a "hill decent" button so I would keep the transmission and engine engaged so it wouldn't increase speed while going down a slope.
Again I don't know if this was an "option" for those vehicles and just not something jeep does. Or I was actually thinking it might be designed to keep your turbo spooled up? Idk just a thought.

Does anyone know if a way to have your doors auto lock if the key leaves the detection area of the vehicle? Like if you walked away and forgot to lock it? Or is this not possible on the Renegade? I've tried some of the settings and I actually managed for it to do it once. But I was standing next to the vehicle talking for an extended period of time(like 15 minutes or so). And it should have been able to sense the remote, but I've never been able to reproduce it.

Thanks all,
Spiz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I've always had it, I don't know if it specifically shifts into neutral?
Sorry I did a little bit of quick research, it disengages the torque converter, allowing the engine to drop to idle. I always assumed it shifted into neutral. But the torque converter makes much more sense!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's a "bypass gate"? And particularly what are you saying is behind the radio?

Do you mean a sophisticated diagnosis tool that plugs into the OBD2 port, with which you can also re-code the vehicle for certain things? Like VCDS for Volkswagens?
I haven't done this, just been researching into it. But essentially yes, like normal programmers with more steps.
So Chrysler locked down the obd2 port. You can read but can't write. Essentially they put a digital firewall between the obd2 port and internal ECU so your car technically can't be hacked from an outside source.
You have to get like obdgenie, the tazer (which was originally made for wranglers and adapted to other vehicles in the Chrysler family), or jscan(I don't think jscan will work on the Renegade though). This requires you to bypass the security gate by pairing a security bypass with an obd2 module. The security bypass is accomplished by unplugging two cables from your car and plugging in a small programmer to connect to the obd2 port module. This is in multiple locations (depending on your make, model, and year. In the Renegade I just believe it is after '19 located behind the radio but other models I believe is located by the obd2 port and just a little higher up.)
Once you do this you can change things like ESS always off, change the alarms for your tire pressure, change RPM of idle(this is the only one that resets when you turn off the car) change it to accept low current led lights, without complicated setups or throwing codes, Button remapping, steering wheel shifting using the + and - for Cruse control, while Cruse is off and you are in manual stick mode.
However like I said they are expensive, you can buy just a cable for the security bypass, but I haven't seen anyone do that on Renegades only the paired set of a bypass module and obd2 module.
But it is something you can do. Which I why I said I don't know if the dealer could do it or not. But they have the ability to write to your ECU because they can do software updates and clear codes. I am told you cannot clear a code from the obd2 port with a normal scanner. However I havent throw a code to test if this is true of all scanners or just cheep ones.
I have seen a few performances plugin modules that claim to provide performance increases but who know if those work?
Again I have NOT done this I have just been researching about it. So take everything I say with a grain of salt as I cannot confirm this does 100% work.
Anyways yeah that's what I'm talking about. I ran into it when I was trying to figure out how to get my renegade to accept a set of led fog lights without buying more expensive one to not throw canbus errors. In the end I just bought the other fog lights because it was much cheeper! 😂

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The consensus seems to be that the best such tool for the Renegade is AlfaOBD, which I've just gotten. Quite a bit more complex than VCDS, and I haven't played around with it yet.
Thanks for the tip, I might look into that. Keep me updated if you do get around to playing with it? Is it just to like increase performance and timing or what?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Point in case, you replaced your bulbs with LED's that were stated to "work with the Renegade", yet you now have unrelated errors on your dash. The new bulbs ? Who knows, possibly not. The only way to troubleshoot is to put the originals back in as see if the error clears.
I don't have any errors on my dash. Only threw a "light out" code a few times. But that would be like tire pressure low. Fix the problem and you're good!
I did do alot of research before buying the LEDs! And I only bought ones that I knew would work, actually I found some of it on this site.
The only reason LEDs throw errors is because they draw lower current so your vehicle thinks the bulb is out. I believe this is only on the headlights and fog lights.
I did throw a code when I tried to swap in a pair of fog lights with a fan on them. Like once in a 30 minute drive it would quickly throw "parking light out" however it never stored the codes in the ECU. I just swapped back the ones I knew worked and everything fixed.
Today the ESS worked flawlessly! I'm still going to have them check the battery and try to get an AGM. But who knows.
And researching and doing are two very different things! Plus like I said the programmers are expensive, and I really don't have a use for them. So I have no plans to do any reprogramming. But there are alot of people online that have done it and do it. It doesn't override your settings so you can always go back to stock. Again, it was just stuff I was researching. Plus I do already have a mechanic scanner that can clear codes on the jeep, and I have a Bluetooth one that I can read all the computer info. Boost level, throttle position, ECT, it just can't clear codes. If only they had things like the edge system that they do you diesel truck that plug in after the ECU to give you better performance.
But the LEDs I highly recommend! Worse case scenario if you get ones that arent can bus error free, you have to get a resistor to plug in between the light and car. No big deal.

But you should be able to use the AlfaOBD for reading everything. You just can't clear codes, without the bypass in. And z automotive is the one that sells the tazer.
I'll grab some screen shots tomorrow of the things you can read without doing the bypass. And yeah I wouldn't ever leave the bypass in for good(if I did it). I know the odds of your car getting hacked is slim. But why risk it.
It was just something interesting to talk about.

Unless you also use an SGW Bypass Module plugged into the separate SGW port. Like I said, I haven't played around with any of this yet, but the SGW port is supposed to be right next to the OBD2 port under the driver's side dashboard.
If you have a '19 it's located behind the radio unfortunately(from what research says). But yes alot we're located by the obd2 port. Actually besides reading about it I haven't looked. So maybe look next time you have free time, I will too and report back. Obviously if I can't find it I'm not pulling my dash 😂

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Damn. Can't any basic dumb OBD reader clear faults -- at least basic ones?
I have just a bluetooth one that can read and display codes, exhaust temp, pretty much any sensor in the vehicle. But it CANNOT clear codes unfortunately 😞

I do have a more expensive authorized reader that can clear codes, it's older and I had to do an update for it to work with the jeep but it clears codes. However this was in the realm of hundreds of dollars. The Bluetooth one was like $30?

And to clear the air I wasn't talking about removing the SGW all together just for programming. From my research and understanding of it you just do the bypass to program (like ESS off, or don't throw codes for led lights) then you plug back in the SGW. It says only somethings will be reset at engine turn off. One of those is if you change your idle. (Idk why you would want to change idle, maybe if you're out crawling in it?) Idle has to be reprogrammed everytime you start the car, otherwise it will be default. I'm not looking at messing with any of that advanced stuff.

But again it's expensive and annoying to get to. And it may not allow you to have the ESS off always idk. I mean they still make odb2 plugins that say they will change your fuel mapping or increase power. Which as we discussed, you can't program the jeep without doing a bypass. So 🤷 the other stuff might not work either.

However I have found some rather nice piggyback systems. 😂

If I remember I'll take photos tomorrow of my little Bluetooth guy and actual scanner and then the Bluetooth interface. Hopefully I remember 😂

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If you can reach the component... Then of course you need to clear the fault code.
Doesn't disconnecting power for like 5 minutes clear those? Idk for sure, this is the first newer car I've had. But in my '04 civic that was always an option?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I cannot find my stupid Bluetooth scanner. But I figured I should give y'all an update about the original problem I had.

Finally after two months(had it for 2 and ½ months) I got the dealership to look at my Trailhawk. They said "battery is fine and the aux battery just isn't charged enough" from every user on this site the renegade doesn't have the AUX battery. Nor can I find it in any of the schematics for the vehicle. Plus it was 45 minute drive to the Jeep dealership after fully charging the battery on the car before leaving to go to the dealership. They told me to drive it more, because I guess 700miles wouldn't be enough to charge a battery.

I feel like the dealer is just yanking me around, I went in with multiple problems and well they fix a whooping zero of them. Except they did order a replacement piece for my seatbelt.

However, out of a stroke of dumb luck I guess? I had my roommate hook the battery charger up to my car to charge it and hopefully "charge the aux battery". I wanted to see if I could get the ESS to come on. Well when I went out the next morning to go get it washed I realized my roommate made a horrible mistake. He turned on battery reconditioning, which takes like 24 to 36 hours. 🤦 But then my ESS worked. I have no idea what on earth is going on, but it's been working since. I'll post if it changes, or if I find my stupid scanner!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Got it. That article seems to confirm what my Service Manual is saying, but it's very general. Doesn't apply specifically to these Renegades, and also not to ESS systems.

My question still is, "OK, if we've got one, what -- and where -- is it?"
I have not been able to find it. I've pulled the battery, I've gone over the electrical system from Mopars website. They don't list any sort of aux battery or replacement for the aux battery.
They FINALLY scheduled me to get my seat belt cover repaired. Which I assume is just snapping it into place. And I've had that problem for how long?

If the dealer had told me there was an aux battery, my next question would have been, "OK, could you show it to me?"
Tomorrow I'm going to ask them to show me this elusive AUX battery.

I just had another piece break on my jeep... A little metal tab that is on the back of the driver and passenger mirror glass. No idea what the heck it does but I can clearly see them on replacement mirror glass. Even found someone else have the same problem. Mine came out in the car wash.
I'm having HUGE REGRETS in buying this vehicle. So far jeep is really letting me down, I thought they were supposed to be build tough as hell.
We'll see.
Spiz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts