Jeep Renegade Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I really want to thank everyone for the warm welcomes! I really didn't thing I'd have this many responses so quick! I am glad to be here and I'll keep everyone updated!
Welcome! If I can make out the flag in your profile, you're in India?

But, um, are you sure you're in the correct Forum and thread? I see that your post above is the first and only post you've ever made on this Forum... so I'm wondering what you're seeing responses to...? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm posting again; because while changing the main battery under warranty seemed to have solved my ESS problem, it doesn't look like Spizro's problem has been addressed.

Now that I've got my new scanner working, here's the bit from the invoice regarding my problem and the dealer's battery replacement:
Font Rectangle Circle Parallel Number

Again, the battery replacement seems to have at least significantly helped the issue.

And again, can anyone actually describe what and where this mysterious ESS "Auxiliary Battery" is? Lead-acid? Coin?

If it's there -- on ESS-equipped vehicles -- then it's there to keep the electronics working when the engine is off. It wouldn't have anything to do with re-starting the engine.

And all the conditions that automatically disable the ESS system either have to do with making sure the main battery can start the engine again (e.g., (main) battery charging); or disable the ESS system when the engine has to keep running (e.g., climate control). So a bad Aux Battery shouldn't disable the ESS...

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Alpine White
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Got it. That article seems to confirm what my Service Manual is saying, but it's very general. Doesn't apply specifically to these Renegades, and also not to ESS systems.

My question still is, "OK, if we've got one, what -- and where -- is it?"
I have not been able to find it. I've pulled the battery, I've gone over the electrical system from Mopars website. They don't list any sort of aux battery or replacement for the aux battery.
They FINALLY scheduled me to get my seat belt cover repaired. Which I assume is just snapping it into place. And I've had that problem for how long?

If the dealer had told me there was an aux battery, my next question would have been, "OK, could you show it to me?"
Tomorrow I'm going to ask them to show me this elusive AUX battery.

I just had another piece break on my jeep... A little metal tab that is on the back of the driver and passenger mirror glass. No idea what the heck it does but I can clearly see them on replacement mirror glass. Even found someone else have the same problem. Mine came out in the car wash.
I'm having HUGE REGRETS in buying this vehicle. So far jeep is really letting me down, I thought they were supposed to be build tough as hell.
We'll see.
Spiz

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I just had another piece break on my jeep... A little metal tab that is on the back of the driver and passenger mirror glass. No idea what the heck it does but I can clearly see them on replacement mirror glass. Even found someone else have the same problem. Mine came out in the car wash.
You mean on the outside rearview mirrors? This tab?
Gadget Rectangle Tree Magenta Metal

Automotive lighting Gas Measuring instrument Machine Audio equipment

I suspect it's there to help keep the mirror in alignment. Does that mirror vibrate or move around now?

Do you have a photo? Because I don't see anything like that on my 2021 Trailhawk...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Just wanted to circle back to this, in case someone finds this thread in the future.

Turns out :) that's not the case. It's still in its original position under the driver's-side dash. See here:

Security Gateway Location and Access | Jeep Renegade Forum
WHAT?!?!
SERIOUSLY?!
That is awesome! I just went by what multiple sites said. I need to go check mine but it should be the same! However I lost my Bluetooth OBD2 reader 🤦
Thanks!
Spiz

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update

I took my jeep in again and they said that since I charged the battery directly from the posts and not the battery management system it had to "relearn" the battery voltage. They let it idle for 30minute and said it worked.(to be honest I did not connect directly to the battery I connected to the battery management system so I don't know what they are talking about. Just blowing smoke)

It did work for about a day and stopped working. They have said my battery is fine, however I've seen a lot of people say an AGM is needed to really get it to work correctly.

I'm kind of at a loss with this thing, my dealership is about 45 minutes away so taking it in every other day is costing me gas. And I drive atleast 15 miles one way daily, and the battery is "still charging" which also makes no sense because I replaced all my lights to led. The headlights alone used to pull 70watts per, now they pull 6watts per. So even my lights pull way less power than stock.
🤦
Do any of y'all have an AGM in your jeep instead of the crappy Mopar battery? Does that make the ESS work correctly? Like I said I won't really be using the ESS in summer because A/C is always full blast. But in winter it should save some gas!
Thanks,
-Spiz

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
WHAT?!?!
SERIOUSLY?!
That is awesome! I just went by what multiple sites said. I need to go check mine but it should be the same! However I lost my Bluetooth OBD2 reader 🤦
Seriously. I was confused b all the authoritative contradictory information too.

Get a good light and mirror, contort yourself with your back on the driver's floor, and check it out.

What kind of Bluetooth OBD2 reader do you have? You mean just a port interface, or a generic code reader? Because a generic code reader is supposed to work to read generic error codes, whether the SGW is bypassed or not. You apparently just can't do anything without bypassing the SGW; not even clearing the codes.

Regarding the AGM battery, see my response to you in the other thread.

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Renegade Altitude 1.3L 4WD
85 Posts
Seriously. I was confused b all the authoritative contradictory information too.

Get a good light and mirror, contort yourself with your back on the driver's floor, and check it out.

What kind of Bluetooth OBD2 reader do you have? You mean just a port interface, or a generic code reader? Because a generic code reader is supposed to work to read generic error codes, whether the SGW is bypassed or not. You apparently just can't do anything without bypassing the SGW; not even clearing the codes.

Regarding the AGM battery, see my response to you in the other thread.
Honestly not true either. I was able to clear a Bypass Valve Code with a generic Launch Scan Tool no problem. I’m honestly wondering what we really need the bypass for at this point. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Honestly not true either. I was able to clear a Bypass Valve Code with a generic Launch Scan Tool no problem. I’m honestly wondering what we really need the bypass for at this point. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Well, I did write you "apparently" can't clear codes without bypassing the Security Gateway -- I don't have any first-hand experience with that yet; that's just what someone wrote on this Forum a few weeks ago. :)

So you were able to clear a generic fault code without bypassing the SGW? That's good -- one of the primary things I'd want to do with my AlfaOBD is clear codes after doing simple repairs/replacements of like sensors. And not have to fool with reaching way up under the dashboard to bypass the SGW.

So if that's true, then the bypass would only be necessary to do a proxy alignment if replacing major components, or other advanced (and rare for me) procedures....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Update

I took my jeep in again and they said that since I charged the battery directly from the posts and not the battery management system it had to "relearn" the battery voltage. They let it idle for 30minute and said it worked.(to be honest I did not connect directly to the battery I connected to the battery management system so I don't know what they are talking about. Just blowing smoke)

It did work for about a day and stopped working. They have said my battery is fine, however I've seen a lot of people say an AGM is needed to really get it to work correctly.

I'm kind of at a loss with this thing, my dealership is about 45 minutes away so taking it in every other day is costing me gas. And I drive atleast 15 miles one way daily, and the battery is "still charging" which also makes no sense because I replaced all my lights to led. The headlights alone used to pull 70watts per, now they pull 6watts per. So even my lights pull way less power than stock.
🤦
Do any of y'all have an AGM in your jeep instead of the crappy Mopar battery? Does that make the ESS work correctly? Like I said I won't really be using the ESS in summer because A/C is always full blast. But in winter it should save some gas!
Thanks,
-Spiz
An AGM battery is the way to go. I put one in my 2019 then when I traded that for the 2021, I had one installed in it. With the Factory EFB the ESS would not work consistantly, MAYBE once every two weeks. Now it will work alot more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, I did write you "apparently" can't clear codes without bypassing the Security Gateway -- I don't have any first-hand experience with that yet; that's just what someone wrote on this Forum a few weeks ago. :)

So you were able to clear a generic fault code without bypassing the SGW? That's good -- one of the primary things I'd want to do with my AlfaOBD is clear codes after doing simple repairs/replacements of like sensors. And not have to fool with reaching way up under the dashboard to bypass the SGW.

So if that's true, then the bypass would only be necessary to do a proxy alignment if replacing major components, or other advanced (and rare for me) procedures....
Absolutely... I was definitely concerned as I was having issues with my Pedal Commander it kept causing a Throttle Position Code on my 2019. I had it recalibrated by Pedal Commander and swapped it over to the 2022 and immediately bought the Bypass just in case I got a CEL as with the throttle Position code the car goes into limp mode and is barely drivable, so I didn't want to be stuck on the side of the road trying to disconnect the battery in an attempt to clear the code to make it home to some place safe. I have it in case I need it for anything bigger down the line, but I'm very pleased that we are able to address small issues without needing it for sure. I wondered truthfully as it doesn't make sense how something like a Madness AutoFlash would work without the Bypass and a monitor gauge setup like autometer's Dash Link would pull data unless there was some kind of connectivity at the OBD Port. I'm glad I found out on something simple for sure. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You know, you writing about Pedal Commander and Throttle Position Control and Madness AutoFlash and Autometer's Dash Link reminds me of this:
Cartoon Vertebrate Human Organ Jaw

:)

In any case, what you're saying is that error codes can be cleared with bypassing the SGW...?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You know, you writing about Pedal Commander and Throttle Position Control and Madness AutoFlash and Autometer's Dash Link reminds me of this:
View attachment 2396354845

:)

In any case, what you're saying is that error codes can be cleared with bypassing the SGW...?
Lol… Without bypassing the SGW yes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
An AGM battery is the way to go. I put one in my 2019 then when I traded that for the 2021, I had one installed in it. With the Factory EFB the ESS would not work consistantly, MAYBE once every two weeks. Now it will work alot more.
So you're ESS is working reliability with a AGM? I'm wanting to do this, but I know Mopar doesn't make an AGM. So I can't pressure them into eating the cost. I was looking around and the cheapest I found was around $200.
No wonder other models come with two batteries. One just doesn't have the amp hours to run it. My friends Kia's ESS works perfectly. You telling me a Kia is more reliable than a freaking Jeep? 🤔

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
So you're ESS is working reliability with a AGM?
Well, in my case, the ESS seems to be working fine now, since the dealer replaced the OEM Mopar battery with the AGM DieHard. Seemed odd to be too, that they'd do that. But hey...

I don't know if it's the spec capacity, since the two batteries had/have very similar specs:
Font Gas Audio equipment Electric blue Carmine

Bumper Auto part Font Magenta Electric blue

Maybe just the overall quality of the batteries...

·
Registered
55 Posts
So you're ESS is working reliability with a AGM? I'm wanting to do this, but I know Mopar doesn't make an AGM. So I can't pressure them into eating the cost. I was looking around and the cheapest I found was around $200.
No wonder other models come with two batteries. One just doesn't have the amp hours to run it. My friends Kia's ESS works perfectly. You telling me a Kia is more reliable than a freaking Jeep? 🤔
Yes, the ESS works reliably with the AGM battery. The dealer was not willing to work with me on the replacement. Both my former 2019 Limited and current 2021 Trailhawk worked great after switching.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Yes, the ESS works reliably with the AGM battery. The dealer was not willing to work with me on the replacement. Both my former 2019 Limited and current 2021 Trailhawk worked great after switching.
Yep, $200 later and an AGM fixed it! I've contacted the local Jeep rep because this is BS. Even looking online at like battery manufacturers (Interstate, Duralast, EverStart) their sites say ESS systems require an AGM.
Seriously Jeep get it together!
Fixed (with my own money)
But fixed.
Thanks everyone!
Spiz

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yes, either with a mechanics odb2 code reader(which is expensive), unhooking the battey and waiting 5 to 15 minutes. I have this little guy
Sleeve Rectangle Grey Font Material property
Finger Font Rectangle Cable Electric blue
(bought it on Amazon can't find the link for it) and I use the app "Torque Pro (ODB2 & Car)" which is on the Google app store for $5. But try the lite version first before you buy.
This can only read/clear codes and read vehicle data(speed, throttle position, boost, etc.) No reprogramming.
Hope this helps,
Spiz

41 - 59 of 59 Posts