·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for posting. They do look good.

On a side note, I contacted ZL1Addons and asked about what I found in the owners manual about recovery of the Jeep. This is from the manual:

"NOTE: For off-road recovery, it is recommended to use both of the front tow hooks to minimize the risk of damage to the vehicle."

Do you think either of the tow hooks you installed would be enough for recovery of your Jeep? Are the actual mounting points strong enough to withstand pulling by a tow truck or other vehicle?

The statement in the owner's manual is a little confusing b/c it's not clear whether they are referring to using your Jeep to recover a stuck vehicle; or, are they talking about recovery of your Jeep? In any case ZL1 never answered that question; maybe they felt if they answered my question that I would try to hold them liable for any damages, that may result.

Do you plan on leaving your hooks on all the time; or, will you just install when needed?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is it legal to have them on all the time? I mean that the car is designed to absorb the impact in case you hit a person. But if you hit the person with this tow hook, you may cause serious injury to him (or worse).

Maybe, just to be safe, you should consult your insurer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for posting. They do look good.

On a side note, I contacted ZL1Addons and asked about what I found in the owners manual about recovery of the Jeep. This is from the manual:

"NOTE: For off-road recovery, it is recommended to use both of the front tow hooks to minimize the risk of damage to the vehicle."

Do you think either of the tow hooks you installed would be enough for recovery of your Jeep? Are the actual mounting points strong enough to withstand pulling by a tow truck or other vehicle?

The statement in the owner's manual is a little confusing b/c it's not clear whether they are referring to using your Jeep to recover a stuck vehicle; or, are they talking about recovery of your Jeep? In any case ZL1 never answered that question; maybe they felt if they answered my question that I would try to hold them liable for any damages, that may result.

Do you plan on leaving your hooks on all the time; or, will you just install when needed?
The key phrase appears to be "For off-road recovery." It would seem that dragging a Renegade onto a flatbed in an "on-road" or equivalent breakdown situation would be a tame event where one hook could suffice, compared to the myriad of strange situations one can get into while off-road. Also, using a single tow-hook for some minor light-weight pulling job wouldn't frighten me.

·
Registered
184 Posts

The key phrase appears to be "For off-road recovery." It would seem that dragging a Renegade onto a flatbed in an "on-road" or equivalent breakdown situation would be a tame event where one hook could suffice, compared to the myriad of strange situations one can get into while off-road. Also, using a single tow-hook for some minor light-weight pulling job wouldn't frighten me.

In snow areas (not in Florida, usually) you may end up unintentionally off the road in some deep snow, which is what I was thinking; not actually off-roading.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i used my hook on sunday when i drove the car in to 3 feet of snow and left it overnight cause there was no where to park on my gfs street. in the morning the ice formed under the tires and i have the oh so crappy stock tires and got stuck i attached a recovery strap to the same tow hook in the video and with little to no effort i was put out of the snow by a subaru outback with some good tires. it worked pretty good. id say these will work food for mostly anything but some crazy offroad thing where u are super stuck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.