Jeep Renegade Forum banner

261 - 280 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks, but that was essentially useless. The rep I spoke to said my vehicle is not under recall for V54. It may be later, but isn't now. She stated i should just keep driving it. Which, at 36k miles, seems to be pushing my luck if I have the old style fan. Which brings me back to my initial question. Is there any chance my vehicle was built with the bearing fan and not with the bushing fan?

Look at the side that faces the engine. If it's plastic, it's the old style. If it's metal, like a cover over the fan motor, it's a newer type. I know they are sending letters out in stages, so they can keep up with demand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to add on to this thread to note one more Renegade - 2017 Limited - with a fan problem. We've had our shares of electrical gremlins with this car as well as hard shifting and we were literally looking this week at new cars (not a Jeep) and unloading this one. We have about 52K miles and yesterday i look at the dash and see it is overheating - coolant temp in the red and a warning light. I stop and let it cool down. Also got a check engine light - turned out to be P0481. I went home to look under the hood to see if there was anything obvious. Realized the fan was kicking on. Checked the 40A fuse and it was blown. Went out to replace and started again. Fan kept coming on for 30 second - wobbling or shaking a bit - and then cutting off. From more searching and reading this thread, i guess I'm up against yet another problem with this car - one that many others have encountered. As I think I've stated in another thread when our dash lights went crazy, i've had three Jeep wranglers and love them to death. But I would never buy another Renegade or any other Chrysler product. No excuse for them not standing behind their cars when they know there are defective parts - don't care if it is out of warranty. I figured i'd post my case so there is one more person documenting the problems with these cars. Another $400-$500 down the drain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
By the way, i'll add to my thread that after reviewing af ew youtube videos on how to replace the fan, i realized the fan i have in my 2017 appears to be the newer one - with the metal outside housing over the motor (versus all plastic). So, i'm less optimistic my problem is just about the fan failing,. Have others had the newer version go bad and replaced?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We solved our problem by getting rid of our 2017 Renegade. In some ways we liked the car. As we were looking for a new car (driven in part by wanting more room) we realized how many features our Limited had. But, with the ongoing electrical bugs (dead battery, dash lights going crazy, blinkers randomly not working, power seat not working at times, etc), hard trans shift / thump, and the latest fan problem, we were done. The very average mpg didn't help either. If we had a life time warranty perhaps we would have held on to it. But the cost of these fixes is too much. And, invariably, you have to deal with the dealer acting like they have never seen the problem. The one service guy saying to me off the record "these are an electrical nightmare" was a real clue that we we're making things up. No car is perfect. They all have problems. But we weren't willing to take our chances on another Jeep product.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The fan assembly in my 2015 Latitude is being replaced a week from today as a result of the recall. I was told it will take 2-3 hours.
Hi Dennis,

Please do not hesitate to send us a private message if you are in need of any additional assistance while your Renegade is in service. We'd be more than happy to help.

Mark
JeepCares

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Please do not hesitate to send us a private message if you are in need of any additional assistance while your Renegade is in service. We'd be more than happy to help.

Mark
JeepCares
Thank you for the offer of additional assistance. The dealership made it appear that the repair should go smoothly, they have a good number of the fan assemblies in stock and have performed the repair procedure a number of times.

Thanks again, I will contact you if needed.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thank you for the offer of additional assistance. The dealership made it appear that the repair should go smoothly, they have a good number of the fan assemblies in stock and have performed the repair procedure a number of times.

Thanks again, I will contact you if needed.
Thank you for the follow-up, Dennis! I'm glad to hear that it sounds like you are in good hands. We're always just a private message away.

Mark
JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
My problems with my 2017 JEEP RENEGADE. Besides the burning of the oil in between oil changes. My check engine light came on right after a oil change. we ran the codes and it was needing a fuse replaced. so after replacing the fuse which worked until we turned the engine off and back on again and still check engine light. There was no sounds or smoking, but I took it in and I needed a recall done which has taken me over 6mos to get some one to do something on it, had to demand they fix it. any way the recall did not fix the problem like we hoped and after a week and I am out of state they call to say that it is the coolant fan and the cost over $650. WOW not what I was wanting to hear and that is deducting their analysis to looked at it to find the issue which they said if I fixed it the cost would be reduced. The fan cost $50. so guess be paying over 600 to have someone put it in. I have 52,000 miles so the warranty is out. I am a normal person and the only breadwinner in my home so to me it a lot. but, I have been blessed and am able to pay. They need a recall on this issues both the oil and the coolant fan since this is an ongoing problem. Picking it up on Monday and going car shopping before any thing else goes wrong.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The cooling fan has a recall. it shouldn't cost you anything for the repair.
and even if... the fan only takes 1 hour to replace. NOT the 6 hours-ish they are wanting to charge you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My problems with my 2017 JEEP RENEGADE. Besides the burning of the oil in between oil changes. My check engine light came on right after a oil change. we ran the codes and it was needing a fuse replaced. so after replacing the fuse which worked until we turned the engine off and back on again and still check engine light. There was no sounds or smoking, but I took it in and I needed a recall done which has taken me over 6mos to get some one to do something on it, had to demand they fix it. any way the recall did not fix the problem like we hoped and after a week and I am out of state they call to say that it is the coolant fan and the cost over $650. WOW not what I was wanting to hear and that is deducting their analysis to looked at it to find the issue which they said if I fixed it the cost would be reduced. The fan cost $50. so guess be paying over 600 to have someone put it in. I have 52,000 miles so the warranty is out. I am a normal person and the only breadwinner in my home so to me it a lot. but, I have been blessed and am able to pay. They need a recall on this issues both the oil and the coolant fan since this is an ongoing problem. Picking it up on Monday and going car shopping before any thing else goes wrong.
@JeepCares this guys dealer is wanting to charge him for the recall. Can you help him out?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got back from the dealer after having the radiator fan replaced. It went well, time for replacement was 1 1/2 hours.
This is interesting. I also have a Sierra Blue 2015 Latitude, and my checks using the VIN and through the dealer say there is NO radiator fan recall on my particular Rene. It is definitely the old style fan motor. Granted, mine is still working OK, but I wonder what gives?

·
Registered
891 Posts
This is interesting. I also have a Sierra Blue 2015 Latitude, and my checks using the VIN and through the dealer say there is NO radiator fan recall on my particular Rene. It is definitely the old style fan motor. Granted, mine is still working OK, but I wonder what gives?
It is strange that your VIN does not show for the recall. My fan was working fine also but I am glad that it was replaced. We went on a 4500 mile trip back in April and the fan was on the back of my mind the whole trip. When I checked, it said the fan issue on my VIN was in an incomplete status. I went in for service after our trip and the dealer said that I needed to make an appointment in order for them to replace the fan. The dealer told me they had done about 20 replacements so far. Would it be worth checking with Jeep Cares on this site or maybe even inquire at a different dealer?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Radiator Fan Rattle. Help!

Is anyone having this problem or know a solution? I haven't had a chance to get in there because work has been crazy but I was hoping someone else has had experience with this. I've only had my renegade about a month and kept her clean and out of the mud so what could make this start happening?

Fan Wobble
There's a recall on these fans, you should have gotten an notice in the mail. But if not, take it in for repair, it will fail at some point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2015 Renegade was recalled recently to have the fan replaced .
I don't know what the issue was as it was working fine ?
Had it replaced at the dealer .

·
Registered
431 Posts
The exha
My 2015 Renegade was recalled recently to have the fan replaced .
I don't know what the issue was as it was working fine ?
Had it replaced at the dealer .
The exhaust manifold is too close to the radiator cooling fan and has been causing them to fail due to the radiant heat. My cooling fan actually melted and the fan motor froze up which caused the Fan fuse to blow.

The new cooling fan has a heat shield built on to it.

261 - 280 of 281 Posts