Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I have a 2016 Trailhawk 2.4L with 39,360 miles on it. Usually the gas gauge seemed accurate, but in the last month I have ran out of gas twice. The light goes on, and in less than 5 miles the engine stalls out. I know there are those that will argue that you shouldn't let your fuel get that low, but life happens and even still the gauge should at least be accurate. Prior to this, there have been a few times where the gas gauge was so low didn't even get a reading, but I never ran out of gas. Now I am paranoid about taking long trips... Has anyone ran into this? I called two dealerships and they both said they hadn't encountered that problem, but since I am out of warranty they obviously want their 130 bucks "to look at it". I am going camping next weekend in a remote section of the Mojave desert so naturally I am kinda concerned.

·
Registered
190 Posts
(2) 20-liter jerrycans will come very close to filling your tank.
I always have at least one when I'm off-road.
And I fill up at the last possible gas station.

I was under the impression the light came on with about 1.5 gallons remaining.
Dirty fuel filter?
Fuel pump sucking air (uphill or downhill)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(2) 20-liter jerrycans will come very close to filling your tank.
I always have at least one when I'm off-road.
And I fill up at the last possible gas station.

I was under the impression the light came on with about 1.5 gallons remaining.
Dirty fuel filter?
Fuel pump sucking air (uphill or downhill)?
Correct, light came on with what would be approximately 1.5g in the tank.
Fuel filter would give problems more than just on empty I would imagine, right?
Terrain is dead flat.

I will bring a 5g gas can on my trip just in case.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know this is not relevant to your problem, but if you adopt one of my habits, you may never run out of gas. Each Monday morning I fill my tank. Doesn't matter if I need 2 gallons or 10. I always like to start the work week with a full tank. With my job I drive a lot, average is no less than 70 miles a day. Sometimes I have to fill up a couple times a week depending on work load. I try to refill when the tank gauge reads two ticks below half. My logic is I'm going to have to get gas eventually, why wait until it is almost dry or the idiot light reminds me ?

Is that a hassle ? Yes it is. But less of a hassle than waiting on the side of the road for AAA to arrive with gas...

·
Super Moderator
1,404 Posts
I find the (linear) digital fuel gauge can initially be confusing compared to the older ones analogue ones which would initially drop rapidly and then slow as they reach the last ½,¼,⅛ of a tank.

I too always fill every week. Given the French national pastime of lightening strikes an fuel blockades.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:rolleyes:I never trust this gas gauge...attached is what the info gauge says I have after filling up, then I drive home and the info gauge says I have 290 miles left after a 17 mile drive;) Then drive again and guage says I have 355 miles left then 220 and so on and so forth...:(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
:rolleyes:I never trust this gas gauge...attached is what the info gauge says I have after filling up, then I drive home and the info gauge says I have 290 miles left after a 17 mile drive;) Then drive again and guage says I have 355 miles left then 220 and so on and so forth...:(
Estimated miles left will be based off of your current fuel economy. It will change based on how you are driving and using up gas. Still wouldn't trust it, as calculated range has never been right for me on any car outside of really steady highway cruising.

AS for the OP, when I get the low fuel warning I pretty consistently have about 1 gallon remaining. I.e. stated capacity is 12.7 gallons. It goes ding, I pull over and get gass, fill up will be 11.6-11.7 gallons.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I find the (linear) digital fuel gauge can initially be confusing compared to the older ones analogue ones which would initially drop rapidly and then slow as they reach the last ½,¼,⅛ of a tank.

I too always fill every week. Given the French national pastime of lightening strikes an fuel blockades.
every vehicle i have ever had was just the opposite, top half of tank lasted forever and after half a tank it wold drop rapidly

·
Registered
190 Posts
In the winter, I try not to let any of the cars go below 1/2 tank.
We had some snow the other day, bomb-nado or something.
It was just a foot & a half, you'd think the world came to an end.
At any rate, they closed the highway I have to take to get home, and I ended up sitting around for a few hours waiting.
Didn't run the car the entire time, but you can see why I don't like to go out in winter with less than 1/2 tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After driving a semi for 2.5 million miles I never go by fuel gauge, reset the trip meter when you fill up, on my 2018 2.4/9 speed auto it will show around 375 miles till empty, I never go over 300 miles till I fill up, that way if you get to 300 and no place to fuel you have at least 50 miles to get fuel, I've never run a truck out of fuel (really bad for a diesel).
That way you can track fuel mileage and will know really soon if you need to change air filter or need a tune up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, life gets in the way. Empty fuel tank really messes up life in progress even more so. Much easier to fill up at say even 1/4 tank remaining. Never trust a gauge in any vehicle. Use it as a base, to get an idea or proximity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand and usually fill up before the light goes on, but that doesn't change the premise of the thread. Why did my car reliably show fuel levels and have a predictable amount of mileage left AFTER the light goes on, but now suddenly am stranded with 1/8th of a tank left? Best fuel practices are good to abide by, but that doesn't explain why the sudden changes.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
I understand and usually fill up before the light goes on, but that doesn't change the premise of the thread. Why did my car reliably show fuel levels and have a predictable amount of mileage left AFTER the light goes on, but now suddenly am stranded with 1/8th of a tank left? Best fuel practices are good to abide by, but that doesn't explain why the sudden changes.
OK, so thinking about this a bit, there's only two ways I know of that fuel level can be determined.

Historically for the live fuel efficiency and miles remaining math, they do fuel injector pulse width and duty cycle measurements. With analog gauges being off a physical float sensor. Off the top of my head, I'm not seeing how you could tolerate partial fill ups without a float or other in tank sensor.

The options I see:

1) So that sensor is beat and is saying it is full when it is not. The sensor may be broken or out of whack, but if the gas pump is also auto shutting off when it reads full, then that would imply it's actually volumetrically filled. Which leaves the notion of something displacing gasoline/altering the volume of the tank. Foreign object, or dent in the fuel tank or something.

2) You are leaking fuel. That would cause the miles remaining to be vastly wrong, but not abig jump in the guage unless it is mostly based on injector math.

3) Foreign body in the tank that is interfering with fuel uptake when levels are low. But then the fuel level would not suddenly change unless there is weird software logic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The sending unit is a float.
How would the thing get bent?
I mean, filling up your tank with loose gravel would do it...
maybe the electrical connection is failing, or it's wiggling loose because it wasn't firmly seated in the first place.
Intermittent short?

The float is # 12 in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Necropost revival... So since this thread was started I have taken my Renegade to the dealership twice. Both times they said nothing is wrong and fuel sender "isn't throwing codes" and therefore must be fine... Well this morning it happened again. I was on my way to the gas station, and the light wasn't even on and the Guage showed a little over 1/8th... Why is it that Jeep says my Guage is fine when with over 1/8th and no light I ran out? Oh and at the pump it took 13.04 gallons. If your gonna post that I should have gotten gas earlier please refrain from posting as that is non conducive to the original question and current problem.

Is jeep still on this board?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I believe that "Jeep Cares" who are not "Jeep" are often around the forum for people with faults and will shortly post with advice.

As you have visited a Dealership to no avail I would be getting a second opinion at another Jeep approved dealership. Even a chat with your local small garage may be a better option.

In all likely hood there is a faulty gauge, float, sender unit, wiring etc and that's why you need it checked professionally.

Someone previously wrote, "never trust the gauge" and know approximately how much fuel you have in the tank. One can only presume that by having a full tank and watching it carefully over a period of time will allow you to have that "rough idea" what your actual fuel consumption is.

I hope you get it sorted. (y)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah your sender unit is reading wrong. 13 gallons is a bone dry tank. And you should get a warning at 1.5gals. Those who say it's your fault are morons. We should be able to rely on our fuel sender to read accurately especially in 2020. Also sounds like your dealer is run by fuhkwads, time to find another.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Okay, I'll be "that guy"....many of us thought it, I'll say it....

So, you KNOW your gauge is faulty at really low levels. You KNOW your dealer won't do anything about it yet. Yet you PERSIST in running your tank to very low levels under the premise "it should be reading correctly" when NOTHING has been addressed to repair it ?? Really ?? Are you expecting to to magically repair itself ? You know it's not reading right, so until something is done, put gas in it at a 1/4 tank ! Kinda simple and straightforward and avoids the running out of fuel in the meantime, doesn't it ? Yes, keep on Jeeps butt to get it fixed, but to keep running out of gas with a well-known situation is all on on you, buddy. You know without a doubt your gauge reads wrong, but you STILL run it very low. Why ??

If my tank ran dry when it "should" still have gas, well, that would happen one time. One.

It's like complaining you have to constantly air up a tire that you know has a nail in it. Until the tire is fixed, you gotta keep pumping air in it. Until your gauge is fixed, keep an ample amount of gas in the tank. Look at a 1/4 tank as empty, time to fill up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, I'll be "that guy"....many of us thought it, I'll say it....

So, you KNOW your gauge is faulty at really low levels. You KNOW your dealer won't do anything about it yet. Yet you PERSIST in running your tank to very low levels under the premise "it should be reading correctly" when NOTHING has been addressed to repair it ?? Really ?? Are you expecting to to magically repair itself ? You know it's not reading right, so until something is done, put gas in it at a 1/4 tank ! Kinda simple and straightforward and avoids the running out of fuel in the meantime, doesn't it ? Yes, keep on Jeeps butt to get it fixed, but to keep running out of gas with a well-known situation is all on on you, buddy. You know without a doubt your gauge reads wrong, but you STILL run it very low. Why ??

If my tank ran dry when it "should" still have gas, well, that would happen one time. One.

It's like complaining you have to constantly air up a tire that you know has a nail in it. Until the tire is fixed, you gotta keep pumping air in it. Until your gauge is fixed, keep an ample amount of gas in the tank.
Brilliant. May your wisdom bring you good fortune and God forbid you miss an exit and run out of fuel... Cause life is so predictable you are always 100% able to adhere to your infallible fueling regimen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts