Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Brilliant. May your wisdom bring you good fortune and God forbid you miss an exit and run out of fuel... Cause life is so predictable you are always 100% able to adhere to your infallible fueling regimen.
Quite simply, yes I can always adhere to my infallible fueling regimen. It's very easy. Start the vehicle, look at the gauge and go "I need gas" and go get some. If I have an early start and know I'll be pressed for time, I get it the night before. Predictability never comes into play. Foresight and planning, yes. I ran out of gas once. When I was 16. In the gas station parking lot. Lesson learned. If keeping your vehicle running is dependent on a single missed exit; you gotta re-plan your fueling schedule. Your "I should have enough gas" frame of mind is getting you no where. Literally. Adopt a "I do have enough gas" mindset.

I've driven across the state of Texas several times over the decades, way before the advent of "Siri, show me the nearest gas station". I always topped off when the stations were getting further and further apart, because you just never know for sure where the next will be. Sometimes only putting in 3-4 gallons to fill up. No such thing as having too much gas in your tank. Big thing not having enough.

·
Registered
652 Posts
BigDawg there is a saying that goes something like this:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expexting a different result.

Mudpie is only saying what everybody else is thinking and I feel it is wrong of you to react so negatively to blatantly obvious real advice.

Would you therefore consider carrying a spare gallon or 2 of fuel in the boot as a standby so you can at least get the car started next time you run out of fuel?

May I ask if you knew how much fuel you had put in the tank before joing the road and missing an exit?

If I know I am using a motorway or dual carriageway I always know that I have put enough fuel in the tank and I know how many miles I have travelled.

As an example: On Saturday I put 3 gallon in the tank and have travelled 24 miles since then. My fuel consumption still offers me another 100 miles at least before I need to top up. (I too fill up at 1/4 tank)

It's been negligence IMHO on your part for running out of fuel again when it is so easily preventable in many different ways. Only you can fix that. :cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me, I usually fill up once it gets under half a tank. I work about 2 miles from a Sheetz (food, gas,etc), so I'll just order my lunch online, run over on my break, fill up, grab my food and head back to work to eat my lunch.

My wife seems to be allergic to pumping gas, so this saves me a lot of headache on those mornings she neglects to tell me the gas light turned on when she was driving home from work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's like complaining you have to constantly air up a tire that you know has a nail in it. Until the tire is fixed, you gotta keep pumping air in it. Until your gauge is fixed, keep an ample amount of gas in the tank. Look at a 1/4 tank as empty, time to fill up.
Or it's like knowing your Jeep consumes oil and will stall if it gets too low, but you keep letting it get so low that it stalls. You need to keep an eye on the oil level and add oil when needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well I am not saying that this isn't avoidable fixed or not, but again everyone keeps harping about how I am an idiot when the thread was asking if anyone has had this issue and if there was anything that they have done to replace it. Ok I am an idiot. Now can we move on? The first time I ran out obviously was the first time and it is what it is. The second time is when I confirmed that something was wrong and took it to Jeep where they said nothing was wrong. So in the last year I have been filling up before the light would ever turn on... but this time, the gauge was well above 1/8th and was literally on my way to get gas when it happened. So if we can get past the vitriol and there are suggestions I am open to them. Unfortunately my car now has 45K miles on it which means the dealerships are going to tell me to screw off and not cover it. I just spoke to the dealer service department and his suggestion was to "let it run out of gas then get it towed here". How's that for a solution? I already paid 150 bucks once to "diagnose" it.

I am going to call the dealer I purchased from tomorrow which is further away wand why I initially didn't go to them. , but these people are certified jerks and it's a pretty helpless feeling when they are unwilling to help and simply say "if it's not throwing a code then there is nothing we can do".

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well I am not saying that this isn't avoidable fixed or not, but again everyone keeps harping about how I am an idiot when the thread was asking if anyone has had this issue and if there was anything that they have done to replace it.
They replied by telling you fill the tank.

but this time, the gauge was well above 1/8th and was literally on my way to get gas when it happened.
Myself and others have indicated that this is EMPTY

So if we can get past the vitriol
There is no vitriol intimated in any of the replies from this forum that I can see but merely well educated guys in motor mechanics that are assisting you.

Unfortunately my car now has 45K miles on it which means the dealerships are going to tell me to screw off and not cover it. I just spoke to the dealer service department and his suggestion was to "let it run out of gas then get it towed here". How's that for a solution? I already paid 150 bucks once to "diagnose" it.
Myself included and others in this forum also have cars that are out of warranty. My local Jeep dealership has been nothing but helpful on every occasion even if it's only for a phone call and some advice. Please do not tar all dealerships with the same brush because you have had a bad experience. Name and shame them. Stand outside telling every approaching customer exactly what you believe the dealership are like and how they behave.

Wave a placard, have some balloons around you. Management will soon make haste to address your issues. Often in life a person needs to be assertive and IMHO talking very politely to management can often steer you through that minefield.

If all else fails then use a small local garage and there must be plenty of them around who work for around 1/2 the wages per hour that a main dealership charge and are more likely to give you complete customer satisfaction including a working vehicle with which you are satisfied.

Sadly I cannot wave a magic wand and wipe away all your faults with the car but persevereance is better than throwing in the oily rag and buying a new car.

:devilish: Sell it and buy a new one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good idea to reset one of your trips every time you fill up, and either have on permanent display or regularly look at it. Then it doesn't matter if your gauge is kaput. You'll know what mileage to expect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
For all those telling me to just put gas in it sooner, understood.
In all honesty, the only reason I keep replying to this thread is not because I have nothing better to do, but if someone else has had this issue they can chime in, OR if someone has this issue in the future and I actually get mine fixed, I would post about it to be a help in the future.

So I just got off the phone with the dealership (Moss Jeep San Bernardino). The problem with where I live is that Moss Motor's literally owns all the dealerships within a 50 mile radius of me... so today I called a different one and the guy was a little more helpful. He told me there was a "RRT" on the fuel system. When I asked what that was he said it was like a "soft recall". So why didn't the first guy tell me this (Moss Jeep Moreno Valley)? He also told me that while my car is out of bumper to bumper warranty, he did say that I was still under engine and drivetrain warranty which does cover alot of fuel system components. AGAIN, why did the other guy not tell me this? In no way does this mean that the problem is covered, but he said they will do the fuel system "recall" and see if that fixes the problem, but while they are there they will take a better look at it. I will be taking it to them on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Good luck, hope you can get it resolved. I have said this a lot, the weakest piece of the Renegade is the dealer network.

·
Registered
479 Posts
BigDawg,

I know I've said many things about putting fuel in your tank, but I don't think you realize or want to accept how little gas is in your tank at 1/8 !! . The warning indicator is NOT a "almost time to get gas at your next convenience" indicator, it's a "you're about to run out of gas" indicator, no matter WHAT you want it to mean. No vehicle is designed nor intended to run out every drop of gas from the tank. If you go up the slightest incline, accelerate, make a turn, etc., ALL the little amount of gas you have left shifts, it's not like it stays dead center under the pump at all times. Pump sucks air, you stall. Plus, you are shortening the life of your fuel pump by running it so low. The fuel pump actually stays cooler with fuel in the tank (where your pump is). Debris also collects in your tank over time; it can't be helped, the gas isn't in a sterile environment (hence the fuel filter). Ample gas keeps those particles suspended, low gas lets it collect on the bottom, to be sucked into your fuel filter, eventually clogging it. Water also condensates in an empty tank. Your repeated insistence of running to the last drop is hurting your vehicle. Repeatedly running a vehicle dry does no good to your engine

·
Registered
401 Posts
Glad to hear that you found a more helpful dealership bigdawg86.

Like any other retail interaction, the effort put in by the retailer makes a huge difference. In this case, doing a little digging/research, or having a little more experience and product knowledge, along with sharing a little warranty information with you goes a long way to making a bad situation better.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
For all those telling me to just put gas in it sooner, understood.
In all honesty, the only reason I keep replying to this thread is not because I have nothing better to do, but if someone else has had this issue they can chime in, OR if someone has this issue in the future and I actually get mine fixed, I would post about it to be a help in the future.

So I just got off the phone with the dealership (Moss Jeep San Bernardino). The problem with where I live is that Moss Motor's literally owns all the dealerships within a 50 mile radius of me... so today I called a different one and the guy was a little more helpful. He told me there was a "RRT" on the fuel system. When I asked what that was he said it was like a "soft recall". So why didn't the first guy tell me this (Moss Jeep Moreno Valley)? He also told me that while my car is out of bumper to bumper warranty, he did say that I was still under engine and drivetrain warranty which does cover alot of fuel system components. AGAIN, why did the other guy not tell me this? In no way does this mean that the problem is covered, but he said they will do the fuel system "recall" and see if that fixes the problem, but while they are there they will take a better look at it. I will be taking it to them on Saturday.
Hi bigdawg,
thanks for informing us on here, we can certainly understand your concerns. Feel free to keep us updated on this thread. If you find that you need any additional assistance while your vehicle is in service, please don't hesitate to send us a private message. We are happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So Jeep San Bernardino told me nothing wrong was found yet...Picked up the car as they told me to essentially run it dry and limp it over so they can evaluate it empty. I guess I'll bring a gas can and if I run out on my way there I'll just put in enough gas to get me there.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So Jeep San Bernardino told me nothing wrong was found yet...Picked up the car as they told me to essentially run it dry and limp it over so they can evaluate it empty. I guess I'll bring a gas can and if I run out on my way there I'll just put in enough gas to get me there.
Good luck, I hope this gets straightened out for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I FINALLY got it fixed... took 3 trips to the dealership. They said that the float was reading wrong and would create some condition where the fuel pump would just shut off. They said the unit was nonadjustable and so they had to replace the entire fuel pump assembly. They weren't going to help out with the repairs, but I did speak with FCA and they turned what would have been a 1000 dollar repair down to 200 bucks out of pocket. Glad it's fixed. For those that actually tried to help me solve the problem, thanks for your replies.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts