Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to carry a small dual sport motorcycle (300 lb) on a ramp across the back of my Renegade. The ramp fits into a 2 inch trailer hitch. On my previous vehicle (Nissan Xterra) I fitted inflatable air springs at the rear and quickly adjusted ride height with a small 12v compressor.

Does anyone know a product in USA which fits the Renegades's rear coil/strut suspension?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I had noticed that number somewhere in the specs.
Is this limit due to the rear suspension (Chapman struts) or to the strength of the body shell for the attached trailer hitch?
Air suspension bellows can help the rear suspension.
An under mounted hitch is too low, so the higher through bumper style would be better.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
Yes, I had noticed that number somewhere in the specs.
Is this limit due to the rear suspension (Chapman struts) or to the strength of the body shell for the attached trailer hitch?
Air suspension bellows can help the rear suspension.
An under mounted hitch is too low, so the higher through bumper style would be better.
Well between the internal load ratings, and the look of the rear trailer hitch mount, I'm going to guess the limit is due to vehicle dynamics and handling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This can be done by fixing a ramp nearly 40-50 inches with proper place for the bolts. Thereafter you can load your small dual sport motorcycle (300 lb) on that ramp and properly get it properly tied with your vehicle and your purpose will get solved.

·
Registered
2015 Trailhawk
949 Posts
You can't. Nobody makes an air spring that will fit in a strut that I can find.
Try a google search for "strut airbag". It looks as if the animal does exists. I have no idea if any fit our struts, but the concept seems to be in use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had to tow my Harley with another suv. They sell a ramp hitch you attach the ramp to were the hitch is and secure the front wheel to a ramp and 2 point secure with handlebar straps. The bike rides on the rear wheel. Or go cheap go to harbor fright buy a 4-6 trailer. And tow your bike with extra space to spare.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.