Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked my Renegade up Tuesday night. Yesterday, I started to experience a grinding/squealing noise from the rear axle I assume. Sounds like a train when it applies its brakes. It doesn't happen when applying the brakes just intermittently while driving. I'm probably gonna have to take it in, but wondering if anyone else has experienced this. To me it sounds as though it is probably a brake dust cover, rotor, or some similar issue. Again it happens when NOT applying the brakes which leads me to believe it isn't a rock or dust that's trapped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I may have solved it. Decided to check the lugs on both rear wheels as I could hear it more doing quick turns while staying in lane back and forth. I was able to tighten all bolts at least a quarter turn and so far haven't heard it since that. I'm wondering if they were just loose and building a resonating sounds. Not too sure. I need to drive it a few more days and make sure. plus it's very cold here today and that could be preventing the sound. I will update soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 Renegade Trailhawk did the same thing! I almost had a heart attack - seemed to come from the passenger rear and then sounded like something loose finally clunked free after all that grinding and squealing and it totally sounded like a train applying its brakes! I wasn't braking either and was actually accelerating when it happened and haven't heard it since. I bought in the end of May and this just happened on Oct. 10th. It is almost due for an oil change with no other noises or issues so will have the garage check it out.
Brenda
Iron Mountain, MI

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too

Same intermittent noise you described in rear passenger side of my very low miles (3,501) 2018 Jeep Renegade latitude. Let’s commiserate and compare notes, as I made an appt at dealership mid next week. This is not while breaking, but during times of acceleration. Mary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.