Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a few times that I have been driving down the road when I saw a reason to stop, like a red light. I let off the gas, then the light changes. So when I apply gas again (without breaking) the jeep shifts so hard, I think I've been rear ended. It doesn't happen all the time, but is incredibly startling when it does.

I assume this is a transmission problem that I need the dealership to look at?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have only done 2200 miles but mine has never done anything like that.

A hard down shift should make it feel like you braked hard.
This could be the thing some people have described as the car shooting forward when they are not accelerating, usually when down shifting.
Someone described it as aggressive rev matching I think.

Definitely take it to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
There have been a few times that I have been driving down the road when I saw a reason to stop, like a red light. I let off the gas, then the light changes. So when I apply gas again (without breaking) the jeep shifts so hard, I think I've been rear ended. It doesn't happen all the time, but is incredibly startling when it does.

I assume this is a transmission problem that I need the dealership to look at?

Yes it has happened to me several times. With all the awd vehicles I have owned you get a bit of that jolting when all the slack gets taken out of the driveline suddenly. These instances were pretty epic in terms of harshness. I have my suspicion that may be related to the tear diff controller issue.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is an issue with the 9-speed transmission. My 15 TH has it from time to time, but it's not as significant as you have described it. My wife's 14' Latitude Cherokee does it too.

Updates seem to smooth it out more and more each time... Express your concern to the resolutions team and they might give you reason to be patient with it...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I would recommend taking a ride with someone from the dealership service team in order to demonstrate your concern for them, that way you know for sure whether it was able to be duplicated or not, as well as if it is considered normal.

·
Super Moderator
3,685 Posts
I would recommend taking a ride with someone from the dealership service team in order to demonstrate your concern for them, that way you know for sure whether it was able to be duplicated or not, as well as if it is considered normal.
At least in my case it is pretty intermittent. SO unless they want to sit in rush hour traffic jam where it occurs most, there's not going to be much point.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talk about "taking a ride"

I'd love to do that, however it happens about once every three to five... thousand miles. I don't know that they'd be interested in riding in the Renegade with me that long :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
At least in my case it is pretty intermittent. SO unless they want to sit in rush hour traffic jam where it occurs most, there's not going to be much point.
I'd love to do that, however it happens about once every three to five... thousand miles. I don't know that they'd be interested in riding in the Renegade with me that long :)
Sounds like it's intermittent for both of you then. Unfortunately a dealership won't be able to diagnose a concern without being able to duplicate it. Well, it's at least something to keep in mind if this becomes more frequent for any reason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.