Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rubber exhaust hanger bushings at the very back of our 2017 1.4L have essentially collapsed. They are not torn, rather the rubber is too soft and the steel pin from the exhaust simply falls to the bottom, where it bounces around a bit and makes some noise. The hanger is as shown The bushing is an X shape with 4 spokes - I was able to wedge a piece of 3/8" fuel line in the hole at the bottom, effectively stiffening the bushing at the bottom.

This worked for a while, but eventually the fuel line crushed too. So today I cut two new sections of fuel line (there's one on each side), but this time a slid some stiff plastic tubing I had around inside the fuel line so it would not collapse. It's all good again!
Household hardware Auto part Metal

Household hardware Auto part Metal

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MacGyver, is that you?
I'm always willing to improve a malfunctioning part! Clearly the original part had a design/materials/manufacturing issue, and it's quite possible a replacement will have the same problem. Besides, it took 20min at the most and I didn't even have to raise the vehicle.

· Registered
46 Posts
one thing we used to do in the old days is fill the voids with 3M window weld that would stiffen them and it seemed to hold up for a while.
I have replaced all of my hangers for the same reason they seem to only have about a 5 year life span and the additional weight of the aftermarket exhaust probably isn't helping either.

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one thing we used to do in the old days is fill the voids with 3M window weld that would stiffen them and it seemed to hold up for a while.
I have replaced all of my hangers for the same reason they seem to only have about a 5 year life span and the additional weight of the aftermarket exhaust probably isn't helping either.
From engine mounts to exhaust hangers whoever was in charge of specifying the rubber isolators in there things kinda blew it.

My Renegade has the rear diff growl, and I realized the other day that the floor pan is resonating heavily - and all the rear diff and driveshaft parts are supposed to be isolated by rubber bushings. You don't suppose.........

· Registered
1,211 Posts
From engine mounts to exhaust hangers whoever was in charge of specifying the rubber isolators in there things kinda blew it.

My Renegade has the rear diff growl, and I realized the other day that the floor pan is resonating heavily - and all the rear diff and driveshaft parts are supposed to be isolated by rubber bushings. You don't suppose.........
I’d put that near the top of my diagnostic short-list.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
Thanks for that update. Recently, my engine has felt like a sewing machine thru the steering wheel. Then I refreshed all 3 engine mounts. Could not really tell a big difference between new and old while in-hand. But now, at idle, I put a glass of water on the hood and not a single ripple. Can't tell if the engine is on via the steering wheel. The mounts made that much difference. Possibly still, a pair of new muffler mounts could do the trick. Someday. Till then, glad you have a workaround!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts