Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that the rear lights do not work unless I switch to headlights. They come on when I beep to unlock the car but then seem to go off at some point soon after. If I switch the headlights on they come on, and vice-versa. I'm guessing this is an error not a 'feature', whether it has happened all along or just started happening I'm not sure but can someone advise whether it is an error and should I go to the local dealer with it ? The car was brand new in October.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Let me make sure that I understand your question. You are saying that the rear tail lights are only coming on when you unlock the car and the headlights are turned on.

That's typically how they normally work. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm also confused. Rear lights shouldn't be on unless you have the parking lights on or headlights on. Never heard of daytime running tail lights.

·
Super Moderator
3,617 Posts
three for three. What you describe is the way cars have worked forever. Tailights come on when parking lights are on or headlights are on. Off otherwise (except braking of course).

·
Registered
100 Posts
It is common in Europe. In some countries daylights are required. It means only front lights, not rear lights,so this system (engine on-lights on) is already build in from manufacturer. I see that also as a problem, because drivers get used to it and forget to turn on lights in fog, rain, tunel or twilight and drive around without rear lights.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is common in Europe. In some countries daylights are required. It means only front lights, not rear lights,so this system (engine on-lights on) is already build in from manufacturer. I see that also as a problem, because drivers get used to it and forget to turn on lights in fog, rain, tunel or twilight and drive around without rear lights.
I agree. I see people at night with no lights on at night because they see the daytime running lights in front of them. I suppose they never look at their dash. In addition, during heavy rain, or snow or fog, there are few persons in my area that put even their parking lights on to allow persons behind them to see them sooner and better. If they see the road 20 metres ahead, they don't think about lights. I would really like to have the auto manufacturers be mandated to have daytime running lights all around, front and rear, to compensate for the poor driving habits or training or re-qualification of the average driver. If Canada had the same fog light laws as some parts of the EU, we should have a rear fog light as well, to help people see drivers in front in bad weather even earlier. At that point, do you really need a light switch? Just turn all lights on when the parking brake is released and the car is running. Then only fog light switch is needed.

·
Super Moderator
3,617 Posts
I agree. I see people at night with no lights on at night because they see the daytime running lights in front of them. I suppose they never look at their dash.
DRLs are only half of the problem. The trend to dashboard displays that are illuminated day or night are the other half.

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK - but the DRLs were never mentioned in the original post. So, if the DRLs are in effect and the operator forgets to/doesn't turn the headlights on - it's not a vehicle issue. It's an operator error.

Reactions: JimV

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK - but the DRLs were never mentioned in the original post. So, if the DRLs are in effect and the operator forgets to/doesn't turn the headlights on - it's not a vehicle issue. It's an operator error.
Operator error is the issue. Lack of training and lack of common sense in bad weather conditions. The vehicle can compensate for the illumination part of that, and make roads a little safer for others.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Mike,

As others have stated, this should be normal. Are your rear turn signals, reverse lights, and brake lights still functioning properly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.