Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
The rear seat headrests can be removed, although they are a little difficult. The owner's manual says something like: "the rear headrests should only be removed by qualified technicians," and it does not show how to do it, so it sounds like they don't want Average Joe Customer removing them -- possibly for lawsuit concerns?
Anyhow, I removed the small "E.T."-looking center headrest and definitely gained more visibility through the rear window.
To remove the headrest, you have to push in the plastic protruding lever around one chrome bar while sticking a pen or nail into a small square on the other side (facing inward) and pull up. The little square is hard to see but it's there.
Hope this helps,
Tony
:ReneBlueWave:

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I'm curious. Any reason why you would want to remove the rear headrests? Does it do anything for folding down the seats?
Btw, can you provide a pic of what it looks like without them.

TS

Reactions: Hdreserve

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The rear seats fold down without removing the head rests.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious. Any reason why you would want to remove the rear headrests? Does it do anything for folding down the seats?
Btw, can you provide a pic of what it looks like without them.

TS
Hello,
I only removed the middle headrest, I kept the larger outer ones in. There are a couple reasons I can think of to remove all the headrests: the seats do fold down with the headrests, but not with the front seats all the way back (you would have to move the seats forward). But the main reason I would think would be the extra visibility you get looking out the back window through the rear view mirror. Removing just the center rest added visibility for me, and it's so small that it's basically worthless as a headrest anyway.
Hope this helps,
Tony

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics with rear headrests removed

As requested, here are pics with the center headrest removed and all headests removed. Personally I prefer just the center one out, it adds nice visibility and I want my rear passengers to have headrests. But it's nice to know we have the flexibility to remove all of them if desired.
-Tony

Attachments

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
As requested, here are pics with the center headrest removed and all headests removed. Personally I prefer just the center one out, it adds nice visibility and I want my rear passengers to have headrests. But it's nice to know we have the flexibility to remove all of them if desired.
-Tony
This is true.
Actually the middle one gone is not so bad, but all of them gone, it just ... looks... weird. lol

TS

Reactions: Stellner

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is true.
Actually the middle one gone is not so bad, but all of them gone, it just ... looks... weird. lol

TS
Ha, yes I completely agree about all of them out, looks bizarre!

I drove around all day with the center one out and there's no way I'm putting it back in, it really does make a nice difference while driving.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ha, yes I completely agree about all of them out, looks bizarre!

I drove around all day with the center one out and there's no way I'm putting it back in, it really does make a nice difference while driving.
Doesn't look bad at all missing the center one. Will have to wait till mine shows up but will probably do the same. Thanks for the info and pics!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I considered taking all of mine out too, but I reconsidered. If there are backseat passengers, they are blocking your view anyway with their heads. If there are not passengers, the visibility is even better with the seats down. The center one gone is a good idea because it's rare that anyone would sit there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for this tip! Think I'll be pulling out the center one too :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you so much for the tip Tonym211. I removed all three headrests and stored the outboards ones in the cargo hold for when they're needed. So psyched my rear seats don't have to be permanently folded down!

I'm opting for safety via increased field of view, since I can count on one finger how many times I had a backseat passenger in 5 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removal of all headrests in a 2015 jeep rengade

I would like to install seat covers and need to take off the headrests, do you know of a video or something visual? I checked YouTube but was unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
473 Posts
I usually remove the rear headrests from all of my cars. I often have the rear seat folded down so I don't have to worry about the headrests hitting the front seat. Add to that the better visibility.

I once traded in a car and forgot to replace the rear headrests! Anyone need a pair? :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's also essential to get the front fork of your bike down in front of the folded seats, especially if you are carrying two bikes back there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's great to know. I was dumbfounded when I found they would not just pull out like every other vehicle I've ever owned. The only reason I would pull them out is when laying the seat back down. You loose space between the head rest and the back of the front seat. My last car would allow the headrest to tilt 90 deg giving enough clearance to lower the seatback without removal. Anyway, good to know.!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts