Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Are there any upgrades or fixes for the rear seatbelts on the 2020 Renegade? I haven't seen anything obvious and I have complaints from passengers about how hard it is to buckle and unbuckle.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Hi and welcome BBBJ.

Can you elaborate on what they mean by "hard"?

It was noticed in my Renegade that a passenger was struggling to release the seat belt. It turns out that 2 buckles sit quite close to each other. The passenger had inserted into the wrong holder which in turn meant that the release button was nearest their body and not on the outside of them where it should have been. Once this was pointed out to them and corrected there have not been any further issues.

Could it be something as simple as that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome BBBJ.

Can you elaborate on what they mean by "hard"?

It was noticed in my Renegade that a passenger was struggling to release the seat belt. It turns out that 2 buckles sit quite close to each other. The passenger had inserted into the wrong holder which in turn meant that the release button was nearest their body and not on the outside of them where it should have been. Once this was pointed out to them and corrected there have not been any further issues.

Could it be something as simple as that?
It's difficult to buckle and unbuckle for rear seat passengers. The slot is almost recessed and difficult for an adult to buckle.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The slot is almost recessed and difficult for an adult to buckle.
Almost recessed, like these in our 2021 Trailhawk (leather seats)?

Car Automotive design Grey Personal luxury car Vehicle

Yeah, the tops of the latches are about flush with the seat surfaces. But I just tried one of the seatbelts, and it snaps in just fine. And pressing the red tab down unsnapped it quite easily.

Wife occasionally rides in the back, and she says she's never had any problem with the seat belts.

Did your latches maybe somehow sink down farther, below the seat level?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost recessed, like these in our 2021 Trailhawk (leather seats)?

View attachment 2396353241

Yeah, the tops of the latches are about flush with the seat surfaces. But I just tried one of the seatbelts, and it snaps in just fine. And pressing the red tab down unsnapped it quite easily.

Wife occasionally rides in the back, and she says she's never had any problem with the seat belts.

Did your latches maybe somehow sink down farther, below the seat level?
No, just like yours. Doesn't sound like there's any mods then.

I appreciate the help. ^_^/

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
No, just like yours.
Like I said, we've never had any problems bucking or unbuckling the rear seat belts. They snap right in, and you just have to realize that the button pushes down to release -- rather than sideways or in, like on this type, which your passenger s may be more used to...?

Azure Electric blue Gas Auto part Cable

Or maybe the fact that the latches are flush with the seat surface is what's throwing your passengers off...?

By the way, here are the rear seatbelt latches in my 2009 VW GLI:

Car Automotive design Red Auto part Tints and shades

They do extend up a bit farther from the seat surface, but they latch and unlatch exactly the same. The latches can just be felt better, maybe...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said, we've never had any problems bucking or unbuckling the rear seat belts. They snap right in, and you just have to realize that the button pushes down to release -- rather than sideways or in, like on this type, which your passenger s may be more used to...?

View attachment 2396353243

Or maybe the fact that the latches are flush with the seat surface is what's throwing your passengers off...?

By the way, here are the rear seatbelt latches in my 2009 VW GLI:

View attachment 2396353244

They do extend up a bit farther from the seat surface, but they latch and unlatch exactly the same. The latches can just be felt better, maybe...
Yes. It's why I was wondering if there was an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I don't want to keep beating a dead horse... But exactly how are your passengers finding it difficult to operate the seatbelts? Do they not buckle/unbuckle smoothly? Don't the clips go all the way down into the latches? Isn't there enough room, with the latches flush to the seats, to get hands down there?

But, yeah... A seatbelt extender should work, if you don't mind it flopping around when not used. Less than $10 each...

Rectangle Material property Font Electronic device Electronics accessory

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
To prevent it from flopping around, simply connect the seat belt when you get a chance after the passenger has departed the Jeep. That way the seat belt stays tight and secure until required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Are there any upgrades or fixes for the rear seatbelts on the 2020 Renegade? I haven't seen anything obvious and I have complaints from passengers about how hard it is to buckle and unbuckle.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Hi ,l got a pair of seat belt extensions from ebay ,it sorted the problem, and when not in use you can quickly remove them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.