Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into a problem with my 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I am trying to access the third brake light for a slight mod, however I can't seem to get the rear spoiler loose.
I removed the interior trim, the four nuts and two bolts that obviously hold it on, but, there appears to be something else its hanging on to right about where the hinges are.
I really don't want to take the hinges loose as that would mean readjusting the door. Is it just trim clips? Or do I have to take the hinge bolts out? This is maddening :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good luck. I tried to remove it when I tapped the 3rd brake light for my trailer brake controller, but couldn't get it off. I ended up removing a bunch of interior trip to get the wire I needed, but never could figure out how to get that spoiler off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this thread is old- but it's also the only reference I found to removing the spoiler. I removed mine yesterday for a project- it's the 4 bolts and 2 nuts as described (removed from the inside of the hatch after removing all the panels), and then there are 5 body clips (see picture). They are somewhat far back from the front edge of the spoiler- I dislodged them by using my widest, flattest plastic pry bar to start things, and then just stuck my fingers in as far as I could and went for it. (I did break the middle body clip socket- no biggie.)

After you remove it, there is one connector going into the brake light, and a small hose going to the wiper fluid outlet. It's on a hose barb, so you can pull it right off.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone else done this recently? I found my glass on my third brake light strip missing. Found the part, but am hesitant to do the work myself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not much seems straightforward mechanically or electrically with this beast. I fear its reputation is steadily reducing its resale value.

Rene 2018, Alpine White, 2.4L, 9-Speed, Some options, Stock, ~6400 mi, Fun to drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This thread was a huge help in giving me the confidence to attempt this so as to replace my third brake light. Here are the Mopar parts I needed for my 2016 Trailhawk.

68247167AA - The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp
68255569AA - Retainer - Push Lock (for the spoiler)
68398599AA - Retainer - Trim Panel (for the large trim piece in the liftgate)

Go ahead and assume you're going to break some of these trim clips popping off the interior trim piece which gains you access to the screws to the spoiler and the clips on the spoiler itself. The spoiler has 5 and I believe the trim piece had something like 12. The first step is to remove the screw holding the handle in place on the interior trim of the lift gate. Then, pry off the large interior lift gate trim using trim removal tools (Harbor Freight has a great set for 10 bucks). This is where you'll probably break some of those clips. Doing this allows you access to the upper trim piece. This upper one came off much easier with reusable metal retaining clips. From here, you'll have access to the two bolts and four nuts that hold the spoiler on. Then it's simply a matter of separating the top of the spoiler from the base. These 5 clips are located on the forward part of the spoiler and they are stubborn so come in from the front edge. I swear it felt as if I was going to crack the spoiler doing this however the clips eventually snapped. I had to replace all 5 of mine. That's the nerve racking part. Swapping out the light, replacing broken clips and reassembly was a breeze.

Special Note - I was a bit concerned when I received my trim panel retainers and they looked nothing like the ones I was replacing. These replacements are green instead of black and even look different than the ones I was replacing but rest assured, they fit. Happy Hunting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts