Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UK: 2ltr Limited 4x4

Hi, The warning lights for side, stop and indicators came up on the dash and sure enough the rear passenger side lights had all stopped working. Bulbs had blown so replaced the stop and side lights first and as I didn't have the correct bulb for the indicator (turn) light, but i removed the old bulb. The two new lights worked, until I replaced the indicator (turn) bulb, then nothing would work but the new bulbs are all fine and work when plugged into the driver side (i plugged the light unit in sol bulbs and unit are okay).

So my question is what on earth could be causing the rear lights to stop working after replacing the indicator (turn) bulbs? The manual shows a fuse unit in the luggage compartment (Unit 2) but my car only has unit one and none of the fuses control the rear lights. Does anyone know where the fuse for rear passenger lights is located. All other lights front and rear are fine, but not sure if this is connected, at the same time the bulbs blew /warnings appeared on the dash, the front anti-collision warning light(system not working) also came on and is still on. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks

Mathew

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first thought is there's a short along the circuit for the turn signal, which probably has all three of those bulbs on the same circuit. Maybe the socket for the signal is burnt and needs to be replaced or there's a bad grounding connection there? I've got to imagine the fuse is ok if the other two bulbs worked before replacing the turn signal bulb.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
Did you figure out what the issue was? I have exactly the same problem on a 2016 JEEP Renegade limited.

A few weeks ago I got the notification for the indicator light, but I checked all the lights on the car then and everything was working. After restarting the car the warning had disappeared. But now, I got the notification for the indicator as well as brake lights, on the right hand side, and indeed none of the mare lighting up now. Also the front collision warning system is off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I had a look and there had been a shortcut between the cable and the connector to the light module, on the center pin (ground). The insulation around the ground cable was also partially stripped, which must have been from the manufacturer... I am not sure how this happened or why the fuse did not blow, but I managed to solder some cables to the pins on the lamp module (which was not easy I might add...), and bypass the connector. Now all the lamps, including the front collision warning system, are working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Bjorn

I am having the same problem, and also only have the unit A fuse box in the boot: ( did you locate the fuses for the rear exterior lights? As the manual doesn't state where they are if they are not in box B in the boot. Would really appreciate the help:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got the same problem, the centre pin (ground) on the connector to the Light Cluster has been arching and eroded away. I would say that both the male (Part of the light assembly) and female (Harness) connectors are both damaged and need replacing.

I think I will look at bypassing the connector for the ground, so its working again, with the least expense. But plan to call Jeep on Monday to complain, Its a 2016 Night Hawk, just out of warranty.

Should this not be a recall, when a safety critical part of the car can fail due to a manufacturing issue?

Also checked the drivers side and seems ok.

IMG_20191207_125401.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
So there is a couple of male spades that you could get a female crimp connector on, but i couldn't fine one.

So I squeezed a bare wire under the grounding circuit on the light cluster assembly (see pic), drilled a very small hole next to the connector and pushed the wire through. Re-assembled everything and stuck the other end of the wire under the stud that fixes the fuse-box in place. I was going to use a snap-lock style connection back onto the ground wire on the harness. But if Jeep do take a look I thought it would be best to be able to remove the temp fix with out leaving any indication that I tampered with it.

A bit shoddy, but a lot cheaper than having to replace the rear light assembly and the boot harness.

IMG_20191207_140630.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
So there is a couple of male spades that you could get a female crimp connector on, but i couldn't fine one.

So I squeezed a bare wire under the grounding circuit on the light cluster assembly (see pic), drilled a very small hole next to the connector and pushed the wire through. Re-assembled everything and stuck the other end of the wire under the stud that fixes the fuse-box in place. I was going to use a snap-lock style connection back onto the ground wire on the harness. But if Jeep do take a look I thought it would be best to be able to remove the temp fix with out leaving any indication that I tampered with it.

A bit shoddy, but a lot cheaper than having to replace the rear light assembly and the boot harness.

View attachment 2396347681
Thank you, you just saved me R6500. I have the 2016 trailhawk and exactly the same problem. Working like a charm now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had same problem bulb warning going on and off, mostly fronts directions drls changed to new bulbs, even though old one worked. Problem solved. Electronics very finicky on Renegade.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Which 'stud' was it that you fixed the other end of the wire to? As the fuse holder is plastic? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks so much for this. Also just had the same issue on my 2016 Renegade. Centre connector burnt out. I’ve used your trick with some old speaker wire and it works great...not looking forward to the cost of a complete light unit and boot harness. Thanks again.(y)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks so much for this. Also just had the same issue on my 2016 Renegade. Centre connector burnt out. I’ve used your trick with some old speaker wire and it works great...not looking forward to the cost of a complete light unit and boot harness. Thanks again.(y)
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

You will find all kinds of good information here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts