Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Scan, I so agree that replacing parts is most certainly the forward.

There have been a few members who have posted with burnt out parts yet had success whilst bypassing electrical points. I wonder how long their repairs will last?

However you have followed the correct path imho and it's a path that I know the members in here will be proud to follow.

Your success is admirable and I again thank you for demonstrating how easy it is to save a £££s ($800 :eek:) (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 trail hawk that gave me the same warning messages yesterday so i bought all new bulbs (mistakenly), replaced them, then grabbed my laptop and found this thread. Same burned out center pin. I don’t solder so can i go to a junk yard and look for cheaper parts? I guess i can look for a car guy that does side work but $800 isn’t an option for me At the dealership. Any other advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My rear passenger tail light went out on my 2015 sport. I stopped by a local dealer who said
the ground wire on the connector was burned out. Their estimate was $800 (full retail) for
a new tail light, wire harness and labor. If your vehicle is not under warranty, there is never
reason to use a dealer for service. (Oh yes, the service advisor said they would cut the connector
off the wire harness and solder it to the existing wires). MY FIX:: I went online and found
the connector at www.findpigtails.com who sells all types of connector assemblies. I soldered
the 5 white wires together, covered the connections with heat shrink and plugged the connector in
to give me working lights. Pigtails is my recommended fix and took me one half hour to
complete. Pictures are attached. If you’re not into soldering wires, get the connector and take
it to any shop that works on electrical or radios. No need to buy the entire harness from a dealer.
HERE’S SOME OTHER TIPS: If you search online using the original connector part number, you can
find them for about ten bucks but they don’t come with the wires OR terminals that are needed.
A picture of just the $10 connector without wires is attached. ALSO: If you can find a BMW tail light connector
Model BMW 805-123 which has only 4 wires, It will work too. Picture attached. The normal
Renegade tail light operation only uses 3 wires (for 3 bulbs) and a ground. For now, I'm using my connector from www.findpigtails.com and saving my BMW connector as a backup since this tail light circuit design from Fiat looks sub par. Fiat has great designers but lack in the engineering department.
I checked the www.findpigtails.com site and see the sku: C26B5 that is a $75.00 5 pin connector and comes with 10“ of wire. It does not show if this connector has the wire inserted as a complete harness or if I have to do it. Please advise how i will receive it. I also purchased a used housing for about $80 and plan on having a friend help with the soldering of my wires. $155 plus a case of beer for labor is much better than $800 at a dealership. I feel like I’m missing something. Hope not. Thank you everyone for documenting your fixes in here.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts