Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a chance to drive a trailhawk yesterday and as someone else in the forum posted, there is a lot going on over your head. Much of the bulk seems to come from behind the rear view mirror. Anyone know what all would be in there? The one we were in didn't have a display or any obvious extra features up there, but from the outside almost looked like it had a camera lens or something.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We had a chance to drive a trailhawk yesterday and as someone else in the forum posted, there is a lot going on over your head. Much of the bulk seems to come from behind the rear view mirror. Anyone know what all would be in there? The one we were in didn't have a display or any obvious extra features up there, but from the outside almost looked like it had a camera lens or something.
I have the same thing in my Fiat 500L. I have also wondered about this. My best guess is that it houses a transponder for the navigation system. It also holds the microphone for the hands free phone system.

One of the 3 Renegades I saw yesterday was a base Sport model. It did not have that big housing module, had just a rear view camera.

A good feature about the GPS system is that it displays the current speed limit. So if are ever uncertain what a speed limit is then just go to the GPS and click on map and it will instantly tell you what the speed limit is. It's almost always correct.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I believe it houses the forward collision warning system
Which doesn't come on the Tailhawk, IIRC. Otherwise you'll never navigate thru a forest, down Lion's Back, etc.

And we had a discussion on this about 6 months ago...never did get definitive factory info on what was in there.

So Hmmm!, be a buddy and crack yours open. Let us know. :)

One of the 3 Renegades I saw yesterday was a base Sport model. It did not have that big housing module, had just a rear view camera.
Good to know. I want the camera and not the big housing and gizmos. Did the windshield blackout still come halfway down?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I believe it houses the forward collision warning system
That may also be housed there. But that's not available on a Fiat 500L and my 500L has that big box thing over my rear view mirror. I really think it holds the GPS transponder. My best guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have that on my latitude w/ no GPS. I have the 5.0 uconnect. The auto head light sensor is on the dash. I got a good look at the box in the sun light and it look like a camera with an led. Maybe is an onboard dash cam.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In the rear mirror housing there is for sure the forward camera that is used by lane departure warning, ... Camera data are also used by forward collision plus system in combination with the forward medium range radar (that is on the left side near the fog light, in the area where there is the left tow hook in Trailhawk).

For Fiat 500L is the same, in Europe there is as option the City brake control, that is asystem to avoid crashes at low speed.

I don't know if there are other sensors there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rear view Cover

Any body know whats under that black cover for the rear view, maybe a power supply for GPS and how it comes off?

·
Registered
370 Posts
That's a good question. I have a Fiat 500L with the exact same box behind my rear view mirror. And I don't have FCW or LCW. My best guess is that it has a transponder for the GPS. No clue what it really covers up.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the GPS receiver is under the dash, not far from the head unit. If you don't have the sensors, then I wonder if it's just an empty box?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Can't be an empty box. I saw a Sport model some time ago. And that one did not have this big box behind the rear view mirror. That's gotta be because a base car has no frills. So there's gotta be something inside it. I can't help but wonder if the owners manual tells ya what's in it. But who will take that much time to dig through hundreds of pages in the owners manual to see IF it's mentioned? Volunteers!!!!???

·
Super Moderator
3,379 Posts
Can't be an empty box. I saw a Sport model some time ago. And that one did not have this big box behind the rear view mirror. That's gotta be because a base car has no frills. So there's gotta be something inside it. I can't help but wonder if the owners manual tells ya what's in it. But who will take that much time to dig through hundreds of pages in the owners manual to see IF it's mentioned? Volunteers!!!!???
In the U.S., the sport model has the box. I've seen several. I have seen pics without the box, but those were from the Brazilian plant for the south american market.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Black Box and LED's

Nothing in manual book or online manual, by the way has more info than manual supplied with vehicle, checked both complete cover to cover.
Can anybody supply the bulb numbers and what type that has done, some or all LED conversion that worked without any problems (canbus ) warning light for bulb failure. Bulb numbers what type and location of install.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
76 Posts
A place to put some coloured led strips to have the grills glow at night... Thinking red as not to bother night vision but have it tied into the map lights. Will have to play around with the idea once I actually get the TH.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
We need some enterprising person to come up with a hinged door for this "box." It might fit a pair of sunglasses.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts