Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Mysterious Black Box

Anybody try and get it off? My TH has no extras so only has rear view, would think there might be some power in there for other options that could be installed, don't think there would be different harness. Might be some unused plugs in there.

·
Super Moderator
3,378 Posts
Anybody try and get it off? My TH has no extras so only has rear view, would think there might be some power in there for other options that could be installed, don't think there would be different harness. Might be some unused plugs in there.
I'm guessing there's nothing in there. If you get the active collision avoidance, you get a slightly different map light pod. I suspect that different pod is where all that stuff would route through.
I'd be all for ditching the pod and moving the rear view up a bit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It must be held on either by screws or clips. It has to come off to replace the windshield unless new windshields come with a box already installed which is unlikely. I'm all for having some fun with it :)

Tim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Black Box

Got cover around rear view off not complete box Trailhawk with no nav ect.
There some kind of sensor in there maybe compass, light control, no other power plugs for anything. So no extra power plugs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
2x components in mine. Assuming its part of the lane sense system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bet you are right. I just couldn't believe that the a housing that big had nothing in it. Maybe empty for some trims but has components for others.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Would be interested to see the difference between the manual dimming mirror and the auto dimming mirror. Mainly in terms of where the auto dim connects and whether the ones with manual dim already has a connector or if would have to be tapped into other existing wires.

I see TaKula's is manual.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Box Behind the mirror...

Ok, the box that holds the mirror is MASSIVE.

Here in the US, I have multiple things I mount to my windshield. I have my speedpass for highway tolls, a second thing for my parking garage at work, etc

My question is - has anyone hacked into this (what seems to be empty) box? What's inside - my sales guy said it just has a sensor in it.

I'd love to find a way in and mount my things behind the black so they aren't visible to me or anyone looking at the vehicle.

How do I get in??

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks @Lackadazikal great pics from those threads.

I think I'm gonna venture in there tomorrow!!!

Either way I'm 50/50 this is gonna work - it looks like its not flat against the window. Looks like there might be a layer of plastic. The speedpass will work through that but my parking garage has very weak sensors (cant even detect it on the right side of the box, has to be the left.

Now I'm armed - will "pull gently lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Would be interested to see the difference between the manual dimming mirror and the auto dimming mirror. Mainly in terms of where the auto dim connects and whether the ones with manual dim already has a connector or if would have to be tapped into other existing wires.

I see TaKula's is manual.
I have the auto dim and will be pulling it off soon to do just what this thread suggests. Ezpass and garage pass are going in. So much wasted space in there!!!

21 - 40 of 96 Posts