Jeep Renegade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't own one yet, but I'm wondering if I were to get one, and it is one with an empty box, would it be possible to put my dash cam up there? is there an area in the black tinting that is clear that the cam could look through? obviously i dont want it positioned so it looks into blackness lol ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that rain sensing wipers is something that is not needed? I can certainly tell when it is raining out and can figure out when it is time to turn on my wipers. Or turn them off.

I'm just not a fan of all this automatic "stuff." I don't use the automatic headlights or automatic climate control in my car and wish my car didn't have it.
that's why I got a latitude just enough all the extra stuff on the limited is luxury stuff that most people don't use or need like dual zone climate and turn signals for the mirrors plus its a jeep not a caddy or benz when I had and owned my caddys all the power this and that made sense there luxury cars but also a PITA and prone to fail even in my BIL's benz but in a jeep it dosent make sense its suppose to rugged not posh least of all the renegade which is more rugged looking then the Cherokee and grand model lol the less automatic crap the less things will fail later on a well known problem with cars that are over built with to many gadgets like luxury cars plus being a first year model less gadgets can mean less problems as all those convenience features are a very expensive fix out of warranty down the road for owners

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Rain sensing wipers and auto headlights are a gimmick, in my opinion. The sensors for them are usually housed at the top of the windscreen (windshield) on the inside, obviously. I have them on my Scenic. Sometimes when I sit under the underpass when the traffic lights are on red, the headlights will come on by themselves. When I drive off from under the underpass the headlights go off. Seen it happen to other vehicles. Unless one is a total window licker, in which case they shouldn't be driving, I think the we are capable of using the lights/wipers when they are needed.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Rain sensing wipers and auto headlights are a gimmick, in my opinion. The sensors for them are usually housed at the top of the windscreen (windshield) on the inside, obviously. I have them on my Scenic. Sometimes when I sit under the underpass when the traffic lights are on red, the headlights will come on by themselves. When I drive off from under the underpass the headlights go off. Seen it happen to other vehicles. Unless one is a total window licker, in which case they shouldn't be driving, I think the we are capable of using the lights/wipers when they are needed.
+1 on "window licker" :laugh:

I ran into a really annoying issue with my automatic lights recently. I was driving roughly northwest in the late afternoon, with trees along the side of the road. Perfect conditions for long, intermittent shadows across the roadway. My headlights and dash illumination went nuts switching between day and night mode. I felt like I was at a rave, and this was with the light sensor sensitivity at the lowest setting. I ended up moving the dash dimmer thumbwheel to the top of its travel so that the night mode for the dash was at full brightness, just so it would stop flashing at me. Then when it actually got dark I dimmed it back down.

What really boggles my mind is that the automatic headlights don't do the one thing which would actually be really useful: TURN ON WHEN THE WIPERS ARE TURNED ON! I don't know how it is elsewhere, but many states in the U.S., maybe most of them now, make it a law that anytime your windshield wipers are on, your headlights must be on. I'd rather have the headlights automatically come on with the wipers, it would be much more useful, and no easily-confused ambient light sensor is required. If it was an older car I could wire up this function myself, but with everything going through CANBUS, not so much.

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
I don't own one yet, but I'm wondering if I were to get one, and it is one with an empty box, would it be possible to put my dash cam up there? is there an area in the black tinting that is clear that the cam could look through? obviously i dont want it positioned so it looks into blackness lol ;)
Nope, it is blacked out with only holes for the sensors your car has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to buy a used mirror, with HomeLink, from Ebay and replace my current mirror. I checked out the black box around the mirror base and don't see an obvious way to remove it. Has anyone taken it off?

·
Super Moderator
3,376 Posts
It hosues a rain sensor, a humidity sensor, and the camera for the collision avoidance if you have it. The connector for the collision avoidance stuff is also a bit on the bulky side.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What's in the box?!

With apologies to Brad Pitt...

Pulled the box between the windshield and rear-view mirror off. Found it mostly empty, only one accessory present. When I looked up that accessory on Mopar.com, going through the diagrams it looked like it was the part labelled "CLIP - SENSOR", but I think their diagram is wrong and this is actually the rain sensor.

I'm debating deleting the feature so that I can remove the box, or figuring out how to repackage the feature in a small project case so that it takes a lot less space. That box as-is is just too big.

So, reinstallation instructions:

1. Remove the plastic bezels located above the rearview mirror stalk.
  2. Install the main black box housing, align the clips to the tabs on the windshield, push perpendicular to the glass.
  3. Install the lower of the two bezels above the rearview mirror stalk, push the concealed clips of the fork behind the main housing, then push the top in to where it clips.
  4. Install the upper of the two bezels by pushing upward toward the roof, being careful to engage the tabs evenly.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Topics got merged. I'd named mine, "What's in the box?!"

Spoiler alert:
Spoiler
His wife's pretty head.

Reading a little more, I'll have to check if we have automatic wipers or not. If not, I really have to wonder why this part is included, and more importantly, if it does anything other than monitor water on the glass. If it doesn't then I'm tempted to either remove it entirely or to relocate it to up under that plastic console that contains nothing on ours (base, BASE Trailhawk) so that I can open up the view out the windshield better with a razor blade and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
204 Posts
that's why I got a latitude just enough all the extra stuff on the limited is luxury stuff that most people don't use or need like dual zone climate and turn signals for the mirrors plus its a jeep not a caddy or benz when I had and owned my caddys all the power this and that made sense there luxury cars but also a PITA and prone to fail even in my BIL's benz but in a jeep it dosent make sense its suppose to rugged not posh least of all the renegade which is more rugged looking then the Cherokee and grand model lol the less automatic crap the less things will fail later on a well known problem with cars that are over built with to many gadgets like luxury cars plus being a first year model less gadgets can mean less problems as all those convenience features are a very expensive fix out of warranty down the road for owners
I so wish I had dual climate control in the Jeep. I did not think I would need it, although having some one with 0 body fat and is always cold compared to me with lots of body fat and is always hot has made for some interesting drives....I always loose the temperature battle :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
According to the owner's manual of the 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude I just leased last Wednesday, the box behind the rear view mirror is the UConnect system.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts