Jeep Renegade Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
According to the owner's manual of the 2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude I just leased last Wednesday, the box behind the rear view mirror is the UConnect system.

The uconnect system is the radio

The box houses a rain sensor, the collision avoidance sensors, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's where the uconnect cellular antenna was also housed.

Given my options,I just gave a rain sensor in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What's in the pod behind rear view mirror?

I have a 2016 Renegade Trailhawk with all the electronic options. My question is...what exactly is in the pod that attaches to the front windshield behind the rear view mirror?

I have heard that (behind the Jeep grills on each side) the UConnect microphone is there. If you look from the outside, it also appears there is a camera there. I've heard the camera controls the automatic windshield wiper. If so, that's a waste of a good camera. I would love to enable that as a dash camera.

I would also love to be able to record the rear view camera while driving forward. Is there an official way to petition Jeep to add these enhancements to the software, or find some white-hat hackers to do it for us?

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
It's sensors that vary with feature. Mine simply has a rain sensor and nothing else. The rain sensor is not a camera. The camera, if there is one, is servicing the collision avoidance system. That's all it is going ot do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It sure looks like a camera lens from the outside, but the 2016 Trailhawk did not have collision avoidance or lane keeping, just the blind spot detection and cross path detection.

I'm due for my 20k mile maintenance, so I'll ask the service guys what's in there.

·
Super Moderator
1,399 Posts
The camera is for the lane sensing system. ( Collision avoidance is the two large rectangular radar pods on the front bumper. )

·
Super Moderator
3,373 Posts
The rain sensor has a lens, it's about the size of... hmm.. the width of the tip on a normal old school sharpie marker. The sensor as a whole is about the size of a kennedy half dollar. It's not a camera though. It's an interferometer kind of thing that works off of light diffraction.

·
Registered
778 Posts
How do u get the box off?
W E L C O M E ! ! ! to the forum.

The box is made up of 3 pieces.
Start at the top closest to the headliner, and pull, it just unsnaps; the same with the second piece, it unsnaps.

The Box it self has something like a ball and socket connectors (4 each). It just pulls straight off.

Assemble in reverse order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a Renegade with the lane sensor but no rain sensor and no auto-dimming mirror or automatic headlights.
I guess its a case of buying the hardware, wiring it in and maybe getting the software in the car to activate something.
I guess that last one might be tricky.

If I buy this: 2019 Jeep Renegade Fiat 500X Rain Sensor Factory Mopar New Oem | eBay which is the rain sensor - it's fairly obvious where it goes as there a gap in the plastic the exact same shape. I need a wire to plug in - which I guess I can get from a breakers yard - but where does it go? i.e what is the other end of the wire plugged in to?

Has anyone managed to do this? I'm wondering if the Uconnect will just notice there is a rain sensor plugged in? Or a dimming rearview mirror?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Will it not depend on what wires are on the mirror when it comes out of the "Scrappy"? Then it would just be a case of marrying up the wires to the loom with a couple of "Scotch locks" or similar wiring joints. :unsure:

What Renegade do you have as that item won't fit my Renegade Longitude 4x4 diesel. It's only compatible with the sports models when entering my details into the website.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts