Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
@Fiat Power.

Could this, could that....

Be as enigmatic and elaborate as you wish. You are still back tracking to "They".

Who are THEY?

·
Registered
141 Posts
@Fiat Power.

Could this, could that....

Be as enigmatic and elaborate as you wish. You are still back tracking to "They".

Who are THEY?
Quite obviously FCA, or if you like employees of FCA. Are you having reading comprehension issues? There was no ambiguity in what I wrote - who else issued revised firmware to (hopefully) correct the oil consumption problem? Maybe it was the Russians?

·
Registered
125 Posts
An FCA representative (the equivalent to @JeepCares on this forum) posted the following, on the Allpar forum, explaining how the software update addresses the issue:

OfficialMopar said:
Hello, the oil consumption concerns are caused from vacuum being created in the cylinders during deceleration. Software changes the events, internal to engine, that lead to creation of vacuum.
If you need any help setting up an appointment, feel free to let us know.

Kaitlin
Mopar Cares
Jeep Cherokee Oil Consumption TSB/Recall

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Quite obviously FCA, or if you like employees of FCA.
Obviously it was obvious to you. It is not yet obvious to me who the FCA are. Care to elaborate or are you still keeping that information to yourself?

Don't be a smart-arse and presume everyone knows what you mean. That's why I asked for clarification on your point.

No offense was directed at you nor meant however that was your choice to obviously read it that way. Obviously it was, otherwise you would have simply replied as you later did with the answer above which was a little more graciously accepted.

I do not profess to understand a few of you guys that appear to have excellent technical knowledge so you need to tone it down a bit and make a few amendments in your replies so that members of the forum, like myself, can understand what you mean.

Afterall we are all here to learn and be sociable. Obviously.

I was once encouraged when lecturing not to use the word obviously as it is clearly only obvious to the person writing or saying obviously.

-----------

·
Registered
141 Posts
Obviously it was obvious to you. It is not yet obvious to me who the FCA are. Care to elaborate or are you still keeping that information to yourself?

Don't be a smart-arse and presume everyone knows what you mean. That's why I asked for clarification on your point.

No offense was directed at you nor meant however that was your choice to obviously read it that way. Obviously it was, otherwise you would have simply replied as you later did with the answer above which was a little more graciously accepted.

I do not profess to understand a few of you guys that appear to have excellent technical knowledge so you need to tone it down a bit and make a few amendments in your replies so that members of the forum, like myself, can understand what you mean.

Afterall we are all here to learn and be sociable. Obviously.

I was once encouraged when lecturing not to use the word obviously as it is clearly only obvious to the person writing or saying obviously.

-----------
FCA is the corporation that manufactured our vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
What does FCA stand for is all I am asking for?

I understand you are a gifted mechanic with a mental aptitude that is way beyond the level of myself. I still do not know what the acronym or initials FCA mean. I am not being obtuse nor negative, I simply asm asking what it means?

Once, many years ago I had the pleasure of taking someone fishing. 3 hours across Scotland I travelled with him from Edinburgh to our fishing spot and back and all he could tell me was the technical details of a "patented" idea he had submitted. I subjected myself to his most excellent and supreme knowledge of a topic I knew nothing about. #

Never was that guy asked again to join me on a boat trip. It was through my lack of intelligence that couldn't keep up with his annoying and boring habit of using initials and acronyms for everything.

Can I give you a wee example of my field:

I know Floyd will understand and laugh as he understands what my job was.

Control receives a call, A051, RTC, M8, Level 4 response, RV at M8 J16, Police req, amb req. 6 vehicle 4 persons trapped, snow and ice on the road, Chemical incident request talkthrough to HQBO,
HQBO, Ci2 ready confirm.

Forget the above as I too get carried away but I always try to give the members an understanding of what I was talking about.

In this instance it was a non believable story that pertained to the Emergency Services. I set it as an example of, I know what it means and a few others may guess. That is how your technical abilities come across.

FiatPower, you are too intelligent to get upset when a person asks for further details. Are you not?

·
Registered
141 Posts
What does FCA stand for is all I am asking for?

I understand you are a gifted mechanic with a mental aptitude that is way beyond the level of myself. I still do not know what the acronym or initials FCA mean. I am not being obtuse nor negative, I simply asm asking what it means?

Once, many years ago I had the pleasure of taking someone fishing. 3 hours across Scotland I travelled with him from Edinburgh to our fishing spot and back and all he could tell me was the technical details of a "patented" idea he had submitted. I subjected myself to his most excellent and supreme knowledge of a topic I knew nothing about. #

Never was that guy asked again to join me on a boat trip. It was through my lack of intelligence that couldn't keep up with his annoying and boring habit of using initials and acronyms for everything.

Can I give you a wee example of my field:

I know Floyd will understand and laugh as he understands what my job was.

Control receives a call, A051, RTC, M8, Level 4 response, RV at M8 J16, Police req, amb req. 6 vehicle 4 persons trapped, snow and ice on the road, Chemical incident request talkthrough to HQBO,
HQBO, Ci2 ready confirm.

Forget the above as I too get carried away but I always try to give the members an understanding of what I was talking about.

In this instance it was a non believable story that pertained to the Emergency Services. I set it as an example of, I know what it means and a few others may guess. That is how your technical abilities come across.

FiatPower, you are too intelligent to get upset when a person asks for further details. Are you not?
Again, they manufactured your Jeep! Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. Official Global Website | FCA Group

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Why was that so hard to say for people to understand?

Keeping information to one self does not make the forum members appear silly when they question what you mean but it merely makes you appear that way.

A JEEP forum is simply that Jeep.

Not a Fiat built car, not Chrysler but merely Jeep.

However, not to drive (not metaphorically) people away may I ask that you engage a low gear and travel henceforth?

I offered you an apology/reason in a Pm. Do you want to share it or shall I?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a chain letter.

Ignore it.

There are no pictures, no details, no etcetcetc.

That was only the opening page. (n)(n)(n)
Interesting. I took mine in, they confirmed it was a recall and reflashed it for whatever changes were involved. Service guy said the change would reset the algorithms associated with engine performance...

·
Registered
350 Posts
An FCA representative (the equivalent to @JeepCares on this forum) posted the following, on the Allpar forum, explaining how the software update addresses the issue:

Jeep Cherokee Oil Consumption TSB/Recall
This explains what they are doing to try and decrease the oil consumption and get it back within "acceptable" range. But this is a band-aid for the real issue, which is the piston rings from my understanding. Which is why they replace the block if the software update doesn't help. Just keeps them from having to recall millions of vehicles from the last 13 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took our 2018 Renegade to the dealer for the recall. It barely took 15 minutes.Unlike the person above I didn't notice any marked improvement in performance.The rep asked me how much oil it was using.I have been changing the oil as per the computer which is usually around 6500 miles.In that range I have been adding approx. 2 quarts.When he heard I was using the computer to tell me when to change the oil he said oh you have to change it every 4000 miles because the state I live in which is WV is considered a severe conditioned place to drive! I've read the manual on severe driving conditions.WV wasn't listed as a driving hazard although it could be LOL. Unbelievable! I know some people prefer to change oil more often but I've found on the last few autos I've owned with the oil monitoring system it seems to work fine. Anyway with the reps reasoning it still would be using a quart between changes.My old 1987 Dodge D150 on the other hand I do change the oil around 4000 miles.At 170,000 miles it doesn't use oil. We'll see if this tweak works but I doubt it.Other than the oil issue I have no other complaint about the Renegade at 50,900 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well... I'm not seeing the recall help. I'm happy Jeep did the recall as it did make my Renegade perform better, but the oil consumption is not improved. I'm at a point where I'd be happy to join in on a class action event against Jeep. The car should not use oil in this fashion under any excuse Jeep or the dealership throws out there. See attached for what my oil level was at the completion of the recall and what it looks like check 282 miles later. :-(

View attachment 2396349821
Here's my oil consumption after another 240 miles of driving. It's down another notch. I'm figuring I got another 400 miles tops before it screams for mercy and trips the oil indicator that shuts off the engine. So let's say I get another 400 before it shuts off and has me walking in the cold weather. That's 922 miles since it left the dealer with a fresh oil change and it's out of oil. I see that as pretty sad. Oh... and the statement of shutting down and left walking is no joke! I was put-to-foot because it shut down once already. I called the dealer and they say "maybe you should go buy some oil". I was less than impressed. Nothing like throw a 63 year old guy out walking on the side of the road because this fine new car ran out of oil. Maybe I should sell my story to Ford. They're selling that cool new Bronco and would probably love proof that Jeep can't build a quality car. Maybe that will get Jeep's attention. Sorry if I sound poor but I've driven Wranglers for the last 20 years and traded in my last one thinking I'd give a Renegade a try. My last Wrangler had the V6 and 110,000 miles and did not drink or drip a drop of oil. This Renegade was absolutely the worst purchase I've ever made. :-(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here's my oil consumption after another 240 miles of driving. It's down another notch. I'm figuring I got another 400 miles tops before it screams for mercy and trips the oil indicator that shuts off the engine. So let's say I get another 400 before it shuts off and has me walking in the cold weather. That's 922 miles since it left the dealer with a fresh oil change and it's out of oil. I see that as pretty sad. Oh... and the statement of shutting down and left walking is no joke! I was put-to-foot because it shut down once already. I called the dealer and they say "maybe you should go buy some oil". I was less than impressed. Nothing like throw a 63 year old guy out walking on the side of the road because this fine new car ran out of oil. Maybe I should sell my story to Ford. They're selling that cool new Bronco and would probably love proof that Jeep can't build a quality car. Maybe that will get Jeep's attention. Sorry if I sound poor but I've driven Wranglers for the last 20 years and traded in my last one thinking I'd give a Renegade a try. My last Wrangler had the V6 and 110,000 miles and did not drink or drip a drop of oil. This Renegade was absolutely the worst purchase I've ever made. :-(
You should be able to have them do the oil consumption test and they will have to service it. It's a FCA issue now and there are service bulletins for this procedure. At your rate on consumption they would have to replace the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should be able to have them do the oil consumption test and they will have to service it. It's a FCA issue now and there are service bulletins for this procedure. At your rate on consumption they would have to replace the engine.
I tried. The local dealer denied it saying this is "acceptable oil consumption". I did get asked about this from user JeepCares, (I'm guessing that is FCA watching the forum), and they said they would follow-up on it, but have not heard anything yet. I was informed by my lawyer to keep track of the oil consumption and should the car shut down while driving due to a lack of oil, or put me out walking again because it shut down due to oil consumption, then the lawyer gets to contact FCA to deal with this nonsense, and I'll going car replacement shopping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Everyone,
Oil Consumption Inspection 2015 2.4L recall W80
I got mine to the dealership even though I run AMSOIL, I was asked about oil loss in 1500-1700 miles, and has it been below the add line upon checking. I have 117K on it and beat the hell out of it as an everyday driver and some months it drops a little over 3 mos. So a UV dye kit was put in the oil and they marked all the drain plugs, filter, fill cap, and dipstick with a UV marker to make sure no tampering over the next 1500 miles. If below add line it's a New engine per Jeep. At least I will get a nice loaner for a week or two unless it takes longer with parts issues. And I get another 5yr/100K on the new engine. No sweat off my Renegade! Always change your www.NeedSynthetic.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you send us a message with your VIN and dealer info? We would like to look into this for you.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
So how did your follow-up go? would like an oil consumption test done but sure it will be done properly without the local dealer hearing from you. They blew me off once already when I asked for it. Can you help?

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
If below add line it's a New engine per Jeep. And I get another 5yr/100K on the new engine.
That is quite interesting.

Here in the UK anything that is replaced under warranty does NOT necessarily come with another full warranty but rather what is still left of the old parts warranty from the day the warranty was first raised.

ie Buy a TV 1st January, 2021 with a 3 year warranty. In 2 years time it fails and gets replaced. Your warranty on the newly replaced TV is backdated to the date of the original purchase nameley 1/1/21 and only leaves you with 1 years warranty.

The reason given was that everyone will just return before the warranty period with a replaceable fault and continue like that forevermore getting the item replaced without paying another penny.

If we take the above scenario then I wonder if Jeep will be replacing your engine and still offering another 3 years warranty at no additional cost. Hopefully they will but it certainly makes for some interesting thoughts on that matter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For anyone interested here is a link to the form letter for "Custom Satisfaction Notification W20" (technically not a recall), directly from the Chrysler website: https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/W20.pdf
It appears the Notice has been modified somewhat (https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/W80.pdf). I just received mine for my 2015. It now says in the 3rd paragraph "If your vehicle is found to have the manufacturing variances resulting in abnormal engine oil usage, your dealer will replace the components necessary to correct the condition, free of charge". This is different than a re-program but makes me wonder what "components" would be replaced. Perhaps I'm one of the "lucky" ones who hasn't seen any abnormal oil usage but I'm trying to figure out the implications of taking it in vs not. As others have stated they had "software" updated with varying results. I'd hate to go in for the consumption test and have a random software update possibly have an adverse result.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It appears the Notice has been modified somewhat (https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/W80.pdf). I just received mine for my 2015. It now says in the 3rd paragraph "If your vehicle is found to have the manufacturing variances resulting in abnormal engine oil usage, your dealer will replace the components necessary to correct the condition, free of charge". This is different than a re-program but makes me wonder what "components" would be replaced. Perhaps I'm one of the "lucky" ones who hasn't seen any abnormal oil usage but I'm trying to figure out the implications of taking it in vs not. As others have stated they had "software" updated with varying results. I'd hate to go in for the consumption test and have a random software update possibly have an adverse result.
That is a separate notice, rumor has it there are more to come for other models with the 2.4L.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts