Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Renegade's battery died at the end of April, we assumed it was just an old battery and had it replaced by AAA. But last week, the battery died again (this also co-occurred with the key fobs not working....which others have reported too). After AAA charged it, we turned it on but it wouldn't shift out of park. We followed the manual instructions to manually shift it into Neutral but then we couldn't turn the vehicle off. Eventually it was towed to the dealership while it was still running...and they said that it needs a new shifter (+$1300)?! The vehicle was purchased new and this series of events (battery dying / shifter dying) seems to be a recurring event....in some cases owners have had it happen in really inopportune or even dangerous places. Anyone else having trouble with this??

Transmission wont shift into gear Stuck in Park Service Engine and Service Transmission
battery died and it all went bad replaced battery now having issues https://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/threads/battery-died-transmission-won’t-go-into- gear.101187/
https://www.reddit.com/r/JeepRenegade/comments/gkt6ov https://www.reddit.com/r/JeepRenegade/comments/3scj0v

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's known that these Renegades are uber-sensitive to battery/electrical issues, more sensitive than a teenage girls first break-up. The slightest drop in voltage can make them act up. Kind of ironic for a vehicle with it's long history and reputation of being indestructible, "go anywhere" vehicles... Not no mo'. Apparently sitting still for too long can kill them.

Voltage drops too low and you try to crank it ? You be walking. And paying dearly. Jump start it with the donor vehicle's engine running, as how it's been done for decades ? Well, you may just fry your electronics. You be walking. And paying dearly.

Could Jeep have written a program that says if the battery is below X volts, NOTHING works ? Sure. Replace battery, off you go. Nah, those guys that write programs were stuck waiting in the break room because the meeting of where to put the Italian greeting spider ate up too much time. But they DID write the program that will LOCK OUT the electric tranny from shifting; even if the engine is running !! They never heard of "limp home mode" that's been around since the late 90's ? That there's some logic. And Jeep has the balls to make some of them 4x4's with this sensitive electrical issues ? Some mighty brave 4-wheelers out there....

The "prevention" I take is to keep my battery fresh. No longer can I wait until it slow-cranks to get another. Every 2 years I put in a new battery, doesn't matter how it tests. Expensive, yes, but cheaper than the alternative.

Rant over. Unhelpful, but over.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
It's known that these Renegades are uber-sensitive to battery/electrical issues, more sensitive than a teenage girls first break-up. ....

The "prevention" I take is to keep my battery fresh. No longer can I wait until it slow-cranks to get another. Every 2 years I put in a new battery, doesn't matter how it tests. Expensive, yes, but cheaper than the alternative.
:love::love::love: it.

But Mudpie is quite correct and his policy has been adopted by many a member of the forum that can readily testify to having little to no starting issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:love::love::love: it.

But Mudpie is quite correct and his policy has been adopted by many a member of the forum that can readily testify to having little to no starting issues.
Very glad you guys haven't had issues! The bummer is that we had just replaced the battery in April... so annoying!

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Buying a battery is no guarantee that it was fully charged or even defective. Take the battery back to where you bought it and ask for a replacement under warranty.

I have taken 2 back over the last few years though I do believe I may have drained one down myself by wrongly wiring the 2 broken wires on the solar panel connected to one of them on board the boat. But hey, that's another story.

Both batteries were exchanged and I have had no further issues. It's always worth a try.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Having it act up with a brand new battery can be very frustrating. With that being said, did you replace it will a good battery ? I don't mean "good" as in charged, I mean good as in quality. Shy away from the cheapies as "all batteries are the same" couldn't be further from the truth. You literally DO get what you pay for. If you bought a Wal-Mart cheapie or some such, trade it in for better. Wal-Mart batteries are good for riding lawnmowers and go-carts. In my youth I ran the cheapies because that's what I could afford. But I was lucky to get one season out of them. You don't have to go for top-of-the-line Optima, but don't go for "Bob's Good Batteries, Guaranteed !!" either.

As we've all learned, a good quality battery is quite literally the heart of these vehicles...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 Renegade's battery died at the end of April, we assumed it was just an old battery and had it replaced by AAA. But last week, the battery died again (this also co-occurred with the key fobs not working....which others have reported too). After AAA charged it, we turned it on but it wouldn't shift out of park. We followed the manual instructions to manually shift it into Neutral but then we couldn't turn the vehicle off. Eventually it was towed to the dealership while it was still running...and they said that it needs a new shifter (+$1300)?! The vehicle was purchased new and this series of events (battery dying / shifter dying) seems to be a recurring event....in some cases owners have had it happen in really inopportune or even dangerous places. Anyone else having trouble with this??

Transmission wont shift into gear Stuck in Park Service Engine and Service Transmission
battery died and it all went bad replaced battery now having issues https://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/threads/battery-died-transmission-won’t-go-into- gear.101187/
https://www.reddit.com/r/JeepRenegade/comments/gkt6ov https://www.reddit.com/r/JeepRenegade/comments/3scj0v
I have the exact same problem. Did you have to buy the shifter?

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
No, a new battery of appropriate amperage was bought.

9000, 170amp and i cannot quite recall the manufacturer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts