Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2019 Trailhawk has two red tow hooks in the front and one in the back.

I have an OEM trailer hitch in the back but would like to use the front tow hooks to pull a totaled 03 Ford Escape out of a ditch to about 200 feet away where a tractor trailer can get to it.

Can't find a definitive weight capacity for the two red hooks in the front or the one in the back.

Anybody got an an official link?

UPDATE: With such mixed responses on the official capacity of the red tow hooks I just used the tow hitch and pulled the stuck Ford out. It's disappointing there is no documentation to prove the red hooks aren't just for show or, at best, reserved for the Renegade being pulled from a ditch.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L
173 Posts
I don't have any links for you. I have an anecdote though lol. I pulled an 86 Silverado out of a mudhole using my rear hook and a feisty teenager. Probably shouldn't have, but it worked lol. An 03 Escape is about as heavy as your TH, so I imagine you'd be fine as long as the ditch isn't too deep. Let us know what you find and how you tackle the job!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
i would worry more about the tow line braking and throwing it back into the windshield
That's why you're supposed to use a dampener, weighted down with something...

...so the tow strap drops to the ground if it breaks. I've got one for my Trailhawk, though I've never had to recover with a strap.

I do wonder, though, what happens to the other part of the recovery strap, that doesn't have the dampener, when it breaks...

Note that the owner's Manual says you should use both front tow hooks. I think that's because they're not quite as well-anchored as the one in the rear. So you'd need a short "tree saver" strap between the front tow hooks, to which the main strap would be attached.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any links for you. I have an anecdote though lol. I pulled an 86 Silverado out of a mudhole using my rear hook and a feisty teenager. Probably shouldn't have, but it worked lol. An 03 Escape is about as heavy as your TH, so I imagine you'd be fine as long as the ditch isn't too deep. Let us know what you find and how you tackle the job!
Found nothing official. Just used the OEM tow hitch that I paid too much for and pulled it out no problem. Driver's side tire was bent in on the Escape so it wanted to pull to the side and I had to get it through a gate, but the Renegade performed like a champ and the whole task was a breeze. Not like the time it took my 88 Wrangler and my wife's 72 Bronco together to pull a rusty two ton iron cistern out of a well, we really taxed our transmissions that day, not to mention rutted the yard all the way down to the groundhog tunnels. Cheers!

·
Registered
2017 jeep renegade
36 Posts
My 2019 Trailhawk has two red tow hooks in the front and one in the back.

I have an OEM trailer hitch in the back but would like to use the front tow hooks to pull a totaled 03 Ford Escape out of a ditch to about 200 feet away where a tractor trailer can get to it.

Can't find a definitive weight capacity for the two red hooks in the front or the one in the back.

Anybody got an an official link?

UPDATE: With such mixed responses on the official capacity of the red tow hooks I just used the tow hitch and pulled the stuck Ford out. It's disappointing there is no documentation to prove the red hooks aren't just for show or, at best, reserved for the Renegade being pulled from a ditch.
View attachment 2396351865
DO. NOT tow it by the hooks. They are only inserted into aluminum and have been known to just pull out. This is not a full frame vehicle just a unibody they are recovery hooks only

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DO. NOT tow it by the hooks. They are only inserted into aluminum and have been known to just pull out. This is not a full frame vehicle just a unibody they are recovery hooks only
This is the 2019 Renegade Trailhawk we are talking about here, is that what you are talking about? How can so many people advise otherwise? I also posted on two other Renegade forums and received the same responses, some say you can, some say you can't, but nobody is providing official Jeep documentation.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
I provided official Jeep documentation straight from the manual. Word for word and even photographed the page and posted on this forum.

Currently I am at my caravan with no access to the manual but I am sure a quick search of my name and posts will provide you with the required evidence.

Hope it helps. (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I provided official Jeep documentation straight from the manual. Word for word and even photographed the page and posted on this forum.

Currently I am at my caravan with no access to the manual but I am sure a quick search of my name and posts will provide you with the required evidence.

Hope it helps. (y)
I searched for puddlesplasher jeep manual tow hooks and got almost 500 results. I'll revisit and dig through later since I've already towed the Ford from the ditch using my OEM trailer hitch.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Is the issue regarding whether you can tow or recover using the Trailhawk's recovery hooks?

Here's what my 2021 U.S. Owner's Manual says:

They're called "emergency tow hooks," but I think they should be called "recovery hooks." Jeep specifies you can do off-road recovery with them, but not highway towing.

Since you can do off-road recovery, I really doubt they're just "inserted into aluminum." (Or "aluminium" for you Brits. :) )

However, note they say to use both front tow hooks.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just wanted to pull a stuck 03 Ford Escape from a ditch to about 200 feet away to where a flatbed could load it up. Your pics are helpful but don't clearly indicate damage risk. I ended up using the tow hitch to be safe.
Was that addressed to me? Which pics -- the ones in the Owner's Manual? I take no responsibility for that. The manual doesn't address this in near-enough detail.

My problem is that I don't have a hitch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was that addressed to me? Which pics -- the ones in the Owner's Manual? I take no responsibility for that. The manual doesn't address this in near-enough detail.

My problem is that I don't have a hitch.
Yes, it was addressed to you Marek K. You shared the pics from the owner's manual, which I did not presume you authored. I paid way too much to a Ford Dealer to have the OEM hitch installed after seeing how much ground clearance was lost with the after market hitches (plus, it just looks better).

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is not accurate to the Trailhawk trim level. The TH comes with steel bumpers, which allow for the tow hooks to be used more safely for recovery than the other trim levels.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
You are all missing a point.

A tow hitch is fastened to a vehicle usually by 2 bolts. What is the condition of the hitch with wear and tear, towing, weather conditions, rust etc compared to factory fitted front x2 recovery hooks?

Many off roaders will testify that as a last resort they will use they tow hitch but in all likelyhood will prefer to utilise the tow hitch plate which a half decent shackle will fit onto. That way there will no excessive horizontal force applied to the tow hitch. heaven help you if that hitch snaps of the plate as nothing placed over the tow rope/sling etc will stop it from travelling at speed and doing damage.

·
Registered
591 Posts
You are all missing a point.

A tow hitch is fastened to a vehicle usually by 2 bolts. What is the condition of the hitch with wear and tear, towing, weather conditions, rust etc compared to factory fitted front x2 recovery hooks?

Many off roaders will testify that as a last resort they will use they tow hitch but in all likelyhood will prefer to utilise the tow hitch plate which a half decent shackle will fit onto. That way there will no excessive horizontal force applied to the tow hitch. heaven help you if that hitch snaps of the plate as nothing placed over the tow rope/sling etc will stop it from travelling at speed and doing damage.
Any tow rope, cable, chain, etc. should have some kind of damper on them when being used. The rope/strap/cable/chain and anything it's attached to is a MAJOR safety issue if it comes loose or anything breaks. Doesn't matter where you're towing/pulling from, or what system you're using. Use the safety devices and stay the heck out of the way.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
@ Justin, Hey you are trying to preach to a guy that was a qualified Road Traffic Accident Instructor who taught FireFighters their extrication procedures.

Towing and pulling with steel wire was one of the procedures including all the safety elements.

Safety features are there for a reason and I fully support your concept 100%. :love:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts