Jeep Renegade Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Registered
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 2.4L
This is a good reminder to do regular checks on your straps, ties, and chains and all the hardware associated with those components too! Too often I see guys towing or securing machinery with rotted/overly ripped ties and degraded chain...or improperly rated chain/ties!

Registered
2018 Renegade Latitude
... Too often I see guys towing or securing machinery with rotted/overly ripped ties and degraded chain...or improperly rated chain/ties!
I thought those procedures were for thinning the herd. 馃槃馃槃

• Haha
Reactions: MzMarvel20

Registered
This is a good reminder to do regular checks on your straps, ties, and chains and all the hardware associated with those components too! Too often I see guys towing or securing machinery with rotted/overly ripped ties and degraded chain...or improperly rated chain/ties!
View attachment 2396351932
When I see a pickup truck with 30-40 wooden pallets stacked 15 feet high in the bed, held in with two 1 inch Wal-Mart special cheapie ratchet straps, I haul butt around that truck !! The driver thinks it's okay because he's in the right lane with his hazards flashing.... More frustrating than seeing a sedan with a new mattress on the roof, held with twine, but it ain't going anywhere, because the driver has his left hand holding on to the edge of the mattress, y'know, cause that'll work...

Registered
When I see a pickup truck with 30-40 wooden pallets stacked 15 feet high in the bed, held in with two 1 inch Wal-Mart special cheapie ratchet straps, I haul butt around that truck !! The driver thinks it's okay because he's in the right lane with his hazards flashing.... More frustrating than seeing a sedan with a new mattress on the roof, held with twine, but it ain't going anywhere, because the driver has his left hand holding on to the edge of the mattress, y'know, cause that'll work...
Pretty sure I've done the mattress thing during my young, dumb, and broke days. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Pretty sure I've done the mattress thing during my young, dumb, and broke days. :ROFLMAO:
Soooo, I'll own up to being young, dumb, and reckless. I once transported cattle panels on the roof rack of an Outback (I curled them into a teardrop so they weren't flopping) using zip ties and Wally World straps... Not my brightest day, but I wasn't going to rent a truck to finish the project 馃槄 and I had to prove the snarky guy at the Tractor Supply wrong when he said I couldn't...

Registered
We've discussed in some other threads how in Europe, Trailhawks don't have the front recovery hooks because the EU considers projections such as that to be hazards to pedestrians during a collision. (OK, how about side mirrors?)

I took a close look at our Trailhawk in the garage just now. The recovery hooks are well-rounded, and are tucked up under the undercut Trailhawk bumpers -- they don't protrude forward of the bumper at all.

Almost always, during a vehicle-pedestrian collision, the pedestrian isn't (thump-thump) actually run over. Rather, they're thrown up over the hood and roof of the vehicle. (Do you concur as a retired firefighter, puddlesplasher?) But I'd think if a pedestrian were in a position to contact one of those recovery hooks during a collision, being hit by the hook would pretty-much be the least of their concerns...

Registered
We've discussed in some other threads how in Europe, Trailhawks don't have the front recovery hooks because the EU considers projections such as that to be hazards to pedestrians during a collision. (OK, how about side mirrors?)

I took a close look at our Trailhawk in the garage just now. The recovery hooks are well-rounded, and are tucked up under the undercut Trailhawk bumpers -- they don't protrude forward of the bumper at all.

Almost always, during a vehicle-pedestrian collision, the pedestrian isn't (thump-thump) actually run over. Rather, they're thrown up over the hood and roof of the vehicle. (Do you concur as a retired firefighter, puddlesplasher?) But I'd think if a pedestrian were in a position to contact one of those recovery hooks during a collision, being hit by the hook would pretty-much be the least of their concerns...
I would say based on the average height of an adult, and the very boxy shape of the Renegade.... they're going to be struck pretty squarely and thrown forward. If they make it over the hood, the very flat windshield will likely be their next point of impact.

Registered
We've discussed in some other threads how in Europe, Trailhawks don't have the front recovery hooks because the EU considers projections such as that to be hazards to pedestrians during a collision.
Can you imagine how some parts of Europe would look at all those vehicles with cattle prods and jacked out grills? I hope there aren't any rules for protruding hitches in the back :LOL:

For Renegade science, anyone? LOL

Registered
Sometimes laws are based on theory, not fact. A while back, when I used to drive around my old Willys with a 5 gallon Jerry can on the back, a new law, promoted by California (it's always California) wanting to ban the cans from being on vehicles. The theory ? In a rear end collision, the gas stored in the can could rupture and pour fuel on the car, basically adding fuel to the fire. Sound theory, right ? The facts say otherwise. These cans were invented by the Germans during WWI (hence the nickname Jerry can, a slur nowadays). Know how many times this "disaster" in a collision happened in over 100 years of use ? Zero. Never. Nada. But that didn't matter; someone thought it could happen or saw it in a Hollywood movie (in which the vehicle blew up and flipped totally over, also an impossibility) , so a ban was introduced to fight a non-existent problem.

I don't know how far it got, if the ban became law, as I stopped driving with a Jerry can many years ago and lost interest.

Premium Member
Marek, what I can say is that a vehicle collision with a pedestrian at low speed may result in the so called "person being run over". Science baffles me so without discussing "Science laws I move on.

The higher the speed, the higher a person gets thrown upwards and into the air and as the vehicle is moving (usually forwards) then the person should usually hit the windscreen. The higher up the windscreen they hit then the higher the speed the vehicle was travelling at.

I have seen passengers ejected from vehicles but never had anyone get projected up and over the vehicle roof. Carried forwards on the bonnet and maybe a roll here and there but never totally "up and over".

Don't get me started on motorbikes as that's a different story.

Back on track, enclosed tow hooks "should" have no influence on impact to any person but keep in mind that at slow speed the plastic bumper will likely "crease, fold, collapse etc" and thereby a now exposed hook can/may cause impact damage over and above the vehicle impact damage.

The science of vehicle impact goes into minute detail but I literally glossed over the topic.

My personal thoughts are to show some spacial awareness and stay off the road when a vehicle is travelling near you. ;):eek:

Registered
Hello forums :)...
As a matter of fact there are, at least where I`m in Europe. If the hitch is removable (most are nowedays) it HAS to be removed unless towing....so...EU lawmakers know no limit...
Tableware Drinkware Dishware Serveware Font

If you haven't already, please find a thread on the Community search engine and introduce yourself. 馃槑

Premium Member
As a matter of fact there are, at least where I`m in Europe. If the hitch is removable (most are nowedays) it HAS to be removed unless towing....so...EU lawmakers know no limit...
Well thank freck the UK left the EU (Europe) Union and no longer have to abide with Brussels (Belgium) telling us what to do.

This must be a new and recently introduced Law as no such Law existed prior to the UK leaving the EU which dictated that a tow bar must be removable when not towing.

My wee Jeep has had a tow hitch on it for over 5 years and still has. At no point was I ever breaking the Law here in the UK.

Would it be possible to direct the forum to that piece of legislation of which you speak. It will certainly enlighten some of us that are interested in towing. (y)

Registered
Would it be possible to direct the forum to that piece of legislation of which you speak. It will certainly enlighten some of us that are interested in towing. (y)
Hi
Please note I said that such law exists in my part of Europe. I`m in Poland. But the lawmakers did say that it`s to align the laws with EU regs. I`m not sure if posting a paragraph in Polish would have any sense here. I know for a fact that similar regulations are in effect in Germany and Austria as well. I can dig if You really want to but I`m going off the information available on motoring websites.
Also, the there are EU regulations concerning newly produced hitches. The "ball" has to be removable for the device to be legal.
As someone who lived in UK for 10 years, I have to agree with Your statement. However there is no way to predict how this will affect UK in the future. Luckily, COVID came and traveling limitations are now due to pandemic, not due to Brexit ;)...

Registered
That's for pedestrian safety, when you're backing up really, really fast?

I thought you guys were going to be the next to leave the EU...? ;) (No, I don't recommend in the case of Poland...)

Registered
That's for pedestrian safety, when you're backing up really, really fast?

I thought you guys were going to be the next to leave the EU...? ;) (No, I don't recommend in the case of Poland...)
Yep...I will paint crosshairs on my reverse camera...just to be sure :D.
I would not want for Poland to leave the EU...This would be opening a gigantic can of worms. Me, However, would leave the EU in a blink (and might, if I find a right place)

Anyway, back to the subject. Red tow hooks are bad for pedestrians. Hitch is supposedly bad for the poor sod who rear-ends You...at least that`s what they are saying. Insurance won`t pay up, etc. EU lawmakers...google the lead ammunition ban - one of the recent brainchildren of theirs..

Registered
My wife's Jeep Liberty has a factory hitch. One time I left the extension with ball in the receiver. She came out of work one day with a note on her windshield saying, "I walked into your hitch !!" My wife left the note there but added in red pen, "Why are you walking so close to the back my Jeep ??".

The note was taken. Hopefully by the clown that walked into it.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts