Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
For the 2.4 engine 87 regular is the recommended fuel, that is what I use.

For the 1.4 engine the owners manual states high quality 87 provides satisfactory fuel economy and performance. For optimum performance and fuel economy the use of 91 or higher is recommended.

Clifton

·
Registered
112 Posts
My Renegade has about 2500 miles on it, and I've only filled it with premium fuel. At an extra $2 per tank versus regular, I haven't felt the need to try anything but premium. Out of curiosity I may try regular just to see how it performs, but I've been so satisfied with the performance on premium that I haven't changed. I'm averaging about 22-23 MPG in town, and about 27 on the highway at high speeds (75-80 mph).

·
Registered
580 Posts
In general using Premium when Regular is specced makes rarely sense, since there are most likely no gains. Using Regular where Premium is specced does usually not damage anything thanks to timing being automatically retarded to prevent knocking, but comes most often with a noticeable power loss. My Audi, which specs Premium fuel, does get worse gas mileage and has less power with Regular.

Also, the denser the air, the more readily/uncontrolled fuel detonates. That's why at high altitude, where the air is thinner, you will find gas with slightly lower octave ratings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Renegade has about 2500 miles on it, and I've only filled it with premium fuel. At an extra $2 per tank versus regular, I haven't felt the need to try anything but premium. Out of curiosity I may try regular just to see how it performs, but I've been so satisfied with the performance on premium that I haven't changed. I'm averaging about 22-23 MPG in town, and about 27 on the highway at high speeds (75-80 mph).
You are similar to me! I just hit 2500 with my 1.4 turbo (manual) but I started using regular and then I used premium once but did not notice the difference. I ended up switching back and then noticed my car shake a little and wasn't not sure if it was because the difference in gas quality I used. And so I got worried and just stuck to regular and didn't go to premium since. Now that you mention it, I did average more when using premium. I average 20 city and 26 highway on regular. I do not drive at high speeds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As previous Abarth owner myself, I would recommend going with and sticking to premium. In my experience, there is a very noticeable difference between the fuels both in Sport Mode and Normal Mode. The Abarth was my daily for 2 years down in Houston, Tx. After driving it around for a few weeks now, the Renegades throttle response is similar to being in Normal Mode in the Abarth. Higher octane burns better and cleaner. You burn less and get more out of it. Pretty simple especially when it's recommended. Also, something else to keep in mind about the 1.4 turbo multi air: it does have a tendency of burning a little oil. Check your oil regularly (oil change intervals on these are longer than most cars too. Check your owners manual)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok let's put this to rest here I own a 2017 renny. I have run two tanks of all three fuels in it. It runs best with premium fuel I live at 5500 ft above sea level under most cercumstances the lower octane should be fine. However being an engine biulder myself with this non turbo multiair engine having a10/10 to 1 compression ratio even though it is a variable valve timed engine I get better performance as well as economy running premium fuel.and as tested same fuel station same batch . The mid fuel returns about 28 mpg. The premium returns about 35 mpg and there was no difference between the low and mid grade other than you can hear pre ignition with the low grade fuel so I say premium for longevity and performance as well as economy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ok let's put this to rest here I own a 2017 renny. I have run two tanks of all three fuels in it. It runs best with premium fuel I live at 5500 ft above sea level under most cercumstances the lower octane should be fine. However being an engine biulder myself with this non turbo multiair engine having a10/10 to 1 compression ratio even though it is a variable valve timed engine I get better performance as well as economy running premium fuel.and as tested same fuel station same batch . The mid fuel returns about 28 mpg. The premium returns about 35 mpg and there was no difference between the low and mid grade other than you can hear pre ignition with the low grade fuel so I say premium for longevity and performance as well as economy.
if you have a 2.4 it does not need premium. It is designed for 87 and anyone who understands how the computer systems on these engines works knows this.
1) Everyone knows timing is adjusted to octane. It can retard or advance as needed.
2) With this in mind I am calling bunk on the pre-ignition claim if you run 87
3) Since you are an engine builder it would be easy to dyno test and prove your point. I am betting on placebo
4) These engines are designed by highly skilled engineers and I think they know what they are doing when they recommend fuel
5) How does using octane higher than necessary provide engine longevity? I have never seen real data to support this
People though can feel free to spend as they want and waste hard earned cash. Better off spending money on better lubricants

·
Registered
75 Posts
For those of you who think for some misguided reason that 93 octane fuel is better, even though the manufacturer says otherwise:

Why not go whole-hog and get 100 octane fuel? It is called G100UL and it is designed for piston airplane engines, and it has LOTS of additives to stop pre-ignition, detonation, upper ring wear, etc. even if you set your fuel induction system so lean that you get 200+ degree cylinder head temps and 1450+ degree exhaust gas temps (especially in turbo-charged engines running in excess of 35 inches of boost at 6000 crankshaft rpm). Of course, currently the supply is limited, and you have to go to an airport FBO (fixed-base operator) to gas up, AND it costs about $6.00 USD per gallon, but you'll get that better performance and fuel economy you seem to be seeking! >:D

http://www.gami.com/g100ul/news.php

If you don't think you need the full 100 octane, almost every airport these days offers 94 octane ethanol-free unleaded - at about $4.00 USD/gal. I only get about 19 mpg, but I can run 190 mph for 4.5 hours continuously on the stuff before I have to stop for gas in my 210 bhp 6-cylinder fuel-injected continental! (For reference, that's Chicago to Charlotte, or Charlotte to Tampa, in about 3 hours on just over 3/4 of a tank).

And yes, this is a snarky, tongue-in-cheek comment for this thread. Just couldn't resist.:laugh::D;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.