Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else have a problem with their remote start being disabled when you open the door to get in? I recently had my 2015 Rene latitude serviced because the power locks stopped working, got it back but now this is one of several issues that have popped up since it was serviced. I'm thinking it's a software issue but maybe someone else has advice?

So, I start my car via remote start to warm it up since it's freezing in upstate NY (definitely under the 15min limit for auto disable) and when I put my hand on the driver door to open the car shuts off. Very annoying since this hasn't happened before servicing. It just says remote start disabled and then I have to manually restart my car. I can't find any fix for this in my uconnect 5.

It's also screwed up my seat heater and steering wheel heater. Sometimes they come back on and sometimes they don't even when I press their respective buttons. I've had to restart my car 3-4 times before the heater buttons will illuminate again and sometimes the seat heater comes on independently without the button being on at all. Sometimes when my steering wheel heater illuminates it still doesn't heat at all or once it got so hot i couldn't put my hands on it since it felt like it was burning my hands and there was no way for me to shut it off.

Yes, I am taking it back in for service but was treated poorly last time so I'd like to see if there are fixes so I'm educated when I go in ��

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's what I thought too...issues are never ending with this vehicle ��
I have a '16 limited with 34,000 miles. No issues so far. I really believe that some vehicles have more problems than others. I work at a company that has 10 roof mounted HVAC units. They are all the same age and model. I am always repairing the same 2 out of 10 for different issues. I think its the same with cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe the car is SUPPOSED to stop once you get near with a key - Mine always has. Remote start has a max time of 15 mins - And same thing with the seat and heated steering wheel when you are not sitting in the driver's seat. - It has been normal operating mode for my 2016 Trailhawk with remote start. Nothing is wrong - it's a safety thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Certainly NOT supposed to stop when you get near it. Daughter routinely started Jeep with remote from in house....got ready to go (5_7 minutes), went out and unlocked door by touching handle and opened door...got in, shut door......pushed 'start' button to keep engine running ....and drove away.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine stats running when I open the driver's door, but if I unlock the other doors manually, the engine stops. Almost seems like that is by design. If I unlock all the doors with the remote, the engine stays running. Almost sounds like your door thinks the unlock button is being pressed. You might try unlocking the doors with the remote and see if it still does that.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
I do notice that the fob needs to be pretty close to the door to unlock without shutting the car off. It shut off on me the other day. Fob was in my coat pocket furthest away from the car and it wouldn't unlock my door. Once i turned my body closer to the car it unlocked. Could be from distance or being shielded by my leather jacket

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with their remote start being disabled when you open the door to get in? I recently had my 2015 Rene latitude serviced because the power locks stopped working, got it back but now this is one of several issues that have popped up since it was serviced. I'm thinking it's a software issue but maybe someone else has advice?

So, I start my car via remote start to warm it up since it's freezing in upstate NY (definitely under the 15min limit for auto disable) and when I put my hand on the driver door to open the car shuts off. Very annoying since this hasn't happened before servicing. It just says remote start disabled and then I have to manually restart my car. I can't find any fix for this in my uconnect 5.
This is how my aftermarket remote start works on mine, very annoying, but they told me that due to (FCA's) security system it is what it is, they did tell me to come back periodically to see if their were updates to the aftermarket system that would correct the issue... for a fee I'm sure... while annoying I'd rather this than not have a warm car ready fro me when hop in.

Definitely take it back, sounds like you maybe need to find the sharper tool in the box at the dealer to help (or maybe a better dealer).

·
Registered
520 Posts
I found out that if the car door is open, my remote start will not start the car. Otherwise the remote start works fine. Must be a safety feature. I see your saying that its when you open the door that your car shuts off after remote starting it. Weird

·
Registered
291 Posts
There's a problem with some cars

I believe the car is SUPPOSED to stop once you get near with a key - Mine always has. Remote start has a max time of 15 mins - And same thing with the seat and heated steering wheel when you are not sitting in the driver's seat. - It has been normal operating mode for my 2016 Trailhawk with remote start. Nothing is wrong - it's a safety thing.
No, the car is not supposed to stop just by approaching the vehicle. There are several factors where Remote Start will not activate, or shut off, but under normal operation the vehicle should continue to run until timed out, even if you approach, open the door, and get in. Read the Owner's Manual. This is an intermittent issue that I've seen a lot lately, and if the vehicle is under warranty, should be addressed as such.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just a heads up. For anyone that has a Renegade with an aftermarket remote start, if the control module is made by Fortin or Idata link, there is no takeover available. When you open any door the cycle terminates.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good info!

Just a heads up. For anyone that has a Renegade with an aftermarket remote start, if the control module is made by Fortin or Idata link, there is no takeover available. When you open any door the cycle terminates.
Good info! I was assuming with my post that the remote start systems in question were factory installed.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remote Start/Remote shut off you pick :(

Yep! I bought a 2018 Renegade Sport, dealer installed aftermarket remote start, that unlocked all the doors when used. Traded it back in after 1 week, less than 300 miles. I BASICALLY rented that car for $7,000 for one week. They didn't offer an exchange, swap, refund nothing just very happily took even more money to sell me another defective Jeep Renegade Latitude with factory remote start. This one shuts the engine off if I touch the back of the passive entry door handle, if not then when I pull the handle open, if not then when door opens, if not then, when I enter vehicle and if not then when I unlock doors while engine is running using the FOB. Every single one of those situations results in remote starter being disabled and having to restart the conventional way. Dealer has no idea what to do but did tell me this is a known issue that started 4/2018 and this is the best part "THERE IS NO KNOWN FIX" Did I mention I bought this one February 6th, 2018 and they keep asking me to be patient as they are sure a fix is just around the corner. The fix has not been found in the last 11 months I seriously doubt because I bought this POS that they will now find the fix. I am not that important. Started the Jeep Customer Satisfaction (Lemon Law) process day before yesterday. Good luck and regardless of what others say, IT IS NOT A SAFETY FEATURE ON THE RENEGADES IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO SHUT THE ENGINE OFF PERIOD, UNLESS YOU WAITED TOO LONG 10-15 MINUTES TO GET IN JEEP.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This use to happen to me after a year and a half on my ‘17 DesertHawk. Not every time, but maybe 50% of the time. Replacing the battery in the key fob fixed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remote Start/Remote shut off you pick :(

Yep! I bought a 2018 Renegade Sport, dealer installed aftermarket remote start, that unlocked all the doors when used. Traded it back in after 1 week, less than 300 miles. I BASICALLY rented that car for $7,000 for one week. They didn't offer an exchange, swap, refund nothing just very happily took even more money to sell me another defective Jeep Renegade Latitude with factory remote start. This one shuts the engine off if I touch the back of the passive entry door handle, if not then when I pull the handle open, if not then when door opens, if not then, when I enter vehicle and if not then when I unlock doors while engine is running using the FOB. Every single one of those situations results in remote starter being disabled and having to restart the conventional way. Dealer has no idea what to do but did tell me this is a known issue that started 4/2018 and this is the best part "THERE IS NO KNOWN FIX" Did I mention I bought this one February 6th, 2018 and they keep asking me to be patient as they are sure a fix is just around the corner. The fix has not been found in the last 11 months I seriously doubt because I bought this POS that they will now find the fix. I am not that important. Started the Jeep Customer Satisfaction (Lemon Law) process day before yesterday. Good luck and regardless of what others say, IT IS NOT A SAFETY FEATURE ON THE RENEGADES IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO SHUT THE ENGINE OFF PERIOD, UNLESS YOU WAITED TOO LONG 10-15 MINUTES TO GET IN JEEP.
Update:
Well it has now been 8 months. No fix still. Have had three or reps on my claim with FCA/ESC. Have told now three or four times now that a fix has been discovered but is in testing then followed by another update that there is NOT a fix and there is no estimated time that a fix will happen if it happens at all.

Tried going down lemon law path, oh forgot to mention, for those of you/us with shifting problems, hard shifts, sluggish shifting I too had that added to my list of problems. Had to have valve body replaced about 2 months ago.

Back to remote start issue. The last customer service rep informed me yesterday that FCA doesn't feel that this qualifies for a buy back. They said it is not a drivability issue and it is not a safety issue. Not a drivability issue, vehicle shuts off when you touch the door handle is not a drivability issue ? True it can be started again but still, really FCA. And they don't seem to think it's a problem to continue selling these even though they have admitted a problem exists that they can't fix. So I bought this model after finding out my first one had problems for a couple of features. Remote start, heated seats and steering wheel. Not sure how much extra the remote start costs as a option but if it doesn't work the way it is supposed to and they can't fix it then maybe I shouldn't have to pay for it.

I would love to know how many of us there are with the remote start problem because they FCA/JEEP do not seem to to think it is really a problem! I will not quit on this. Whatever it takes to get them to fix the problem or take the vehicle back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to spoil the topic but you are all ruining my Jeep experience :cry:

I'm in the UK and rarely worry about bad weather. But today I had to scrape the windows by hand and run the rear window heater combined with the air conditioning to defrost the car. It took al of 3 minutes to have a totally ice free car.

The car then started 1st time and off I went.

Yeah I wish my Renegade, Longitude 4x4 2.0L had all your modern accessories but it doesn't.

Now ask yourself if you really need them. Heated seats and steering wheels, remote starts? :eek::unsure:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Heated seats and steering wheels, remote starts? :eek::unsure:
LOVE THEM...
Two feet of snow on the ol Renegade, Remote start with the defrosters preset, heat on high. Let it run for 5 minutes before even going out into the weather; the snow slides nicely off of the warm Renegade. the leather seats and steering wheel are warm. It make for a good start to a freezing morning.

... Just saying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts