Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has had any luck with any type of bike racks that go on the back on the car (not in a hitch receiver). I purchased a cheap Schwinn one (wasn't great, returned the next day). My concern was the weight on the spoiler. If you have had luck with any, please share your model and/or picture. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sue,
I have the same concern. I have a Saris Wishbone bike rack from a previous car. I checked with the customer service folks at Saris because they did not recommend the use of that rack with the Renegade. They confirmed the issue was with the loading on the spoiler Ann's the possibility of crushing our breaking it. I found that, with the back seat folded and the front wheel removed, I can easily get my road bikes in the back of my TH upright and use a small bungee around the cross bar hooked to the U (or D) shaped bracket that the seat back clips to (when it is up in place) to hold the bike against the side of the Jeep. I can get both of our bikes in this way with plenty of space between them for bike stuff, clothing our groceries. This seems like a good alternative and is no harder, maybe even easier, than putting our two bikes on a rack.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I posted about that rack previously, twice, and there was no interest. I have one, and no part of the rack or straps touch the spoiler. I purchased my rack from modernbike.com, $35 less than from Hollywood.

I found trying to load my Trek 820 into the back of the Renegade was a pain, and I didn't want to take the chance of scratching anything, and I didn't want the bother of removing the front wheel, and the bike seat, and then reinstalling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Curious if anyone has had any luck with any type of bike racks that go on the back on the car (not in a hitch receiver). I purchased a cheap Schwinn one (wasn't great, returned the next day). My concern was the weight on the spoiler. If you have had luck with any, please share your model and/or picture. Thanks so much!
Dont know if you're still looking. I have the Hollywood Over the Top, doesnt touch the spoiler and is nice and solid. Just have to worry about the rear windshield wiper when backing up and fronts are on.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never towed bikes, but was looking at that Hollywood rack that's been posted about. I have beach cruisers, and assume the weight is more than a road or mountain bike.

Do people with more bike experience have any thoughts on it being a good option? I go down to OBX for a week every year and it's an 8 hour drive. It's one of the main reasons I would like to have the rack. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've never towed bikes, but was looking at that Hollywood rack that's been posted about. I have beach cruisers, and assume the weight is more than a road or mountain bike.

Do people with more bike experience have any thoughts on it being a good option? I go down to OBX for a week every year and it's an 8 hour drive. It's one of the main reasons I would like to have the rack. Thanks.

I have been using it for over a month. It holds two bikes, 35# each. I only use it with 1 bike (Trek 820), and have it connected to a crossbar. I've driven with and without a bike attached to the rack going 70 mph, over 30 miles, and no movement with rack or bike. I'm not sure what you mean by a good option. Option to what?

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have been using it for over a month. It holds two bikes, 35# each. I only use it with 1 bike (Trek 820), and have it connected to a crossbar. I've driven with and without a bike attached to the rack going 70 mph, over 30 miles, and no movement with rack or bike. I'm not sure what you mean by a good option. Option to what?
I meant it as a good option for transporting bikes. Paying to install a tow hitch and adding a carrier to that seemed too expensive since I don't tow anything else.

I have a pair of J-cradles and saddles for kayaks on top of my car, so I didn't want to use any bike carriers on top of the roof rack.

Thanks for your input. Definitely helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.