Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know that feeling of relief when you work hard and the day finally comes when you pay off your Jeep loan? Well, I was there for about 2 years. Fast forward to a few days ago when my 2016 Renegade decided to fall apart. I am no longer under warranty. 馃え. Prior to that, I have had zero issues with my Renegade. I love my yellow taxi (as my kids call it)!

A few weeks ago, the My Sky sunroof quit working. The motor is operational. You can hear the auto open/close but nothing happens. I took it to the dealership and they tell me it鈥檚 the swing arm gate that鈥檚 broken and since it鈥檚 all one piece, the whole thing needs replaced. If I want to replace it, I need to shell out $5,200! That鈥檚 a quarter of the resale value of the car. Are you kidding me?!

So the other, more important issue is under the hood. A while back, I started noticing when the car would idle, there would be this really deep vibration (really loud and annoying to the ears). That turned out to be the motor mounts; they need replaced for another $1,230. The motor mount is probably something another mechanic could fix, but the sunroof, I highly doubt.

Sorry for the long post, but if you鈥檝e hung in there with me, first of all鈥hank you!
Secondly, should I even try to find a mechanic outside a Jeep dealership? Any advice??
Finally, while it may not seem important to others, the sunroof cost really pisses me off. It鈥檚 something you don鈥檛 have to have, but it鈥檚 part of the car and the main reason I waited to buy the one I did. The My Sky wasn't even out the first time I attempted to buy one. I just want my Renegade to be whole and fully functional!

Super Moderator
Motor mounts are DIYable with a floor jack a ratchet set and a 2x6 plank if it is the 2.4. $1230, seriously gouging. If you cruise ebay you can get them bundled for about $190. (just looked, and $145 for the pair. Their is a third on the trans which may need replacing as well, and that is harder to get to and is like another $50).

For labor with a lift and a transmission jack I'd say 2 hours labor at most, and most of that is moving the battery and ECU out of the way. If DIY is not for you, call some local places and ask them if they will swap out the mounts if you provide them. $1200+ for the job is obscene.

Registered
The MySky repair price is ridiculous. That was one of the selling points for me. Now a have a wack sunroof.

You know that feeling of relief when you work hard and the day finally comes when you pay off your Jeep loan? Well, I was there for about 2 years. Fast forward to a few days ago when my 2016 Renegade decided to fall apart. I am no longer under warranty. 馃え. Prior to that, I have had zero issues with my Renegade. I love my yellow taxi (as my kids call it)!

A few weeks ago, the My Sky sunroof quit working. The motor is operational. You can hear the auto open/close but nothing happens. I took it to the dealership and they tell me it鈥檚 the swing arm gate that鈥檚 broken and since it鈥檚 all one piece, the whole thing needs replaced. If I want to replace it, I need to shell out $5,200! That鈥檚 a quarter of the resale value of the car. Are you kidding me?!

So the other, more important issue is under the hood. A while back, I started noticing when the car would idle, there would be this really deep vibration (really loud and annoying to the ears). That turned out to be the motor mounts; they need replaced for another $1,230. The motor mount is probably something another mechanic could fix, but the sunroof, I highly doubt.

Sorry for the long post, but if you鈥檝e hung in there with me, first of all鈥hank you!
Secondly, should I even try to find a mechanic outside a Jeep dealership? Any advice??
Finally, while it may not seem important to others, the sunroof cost really pisses me off. It鈥檚 something you don鈥檛 have to have, but it鈥檚 part of the car and the main reason I waited to buy the one I did. The My Sky wasn't even out the first time I attempted to buy one. I just want my Renegade to be whole and fully functional!

Registered
Not sure where you were going with "Life Span", as these are not "End of Life" issues.

The My Sky issues are well documented on here. It's a cheap and poorly designed system. Frequent cleaning and lubrication (which isn't noted anywhere in your owners manual) is required to ensure it stays operational. The cost you were quoted to replace the entire thing is not far from what I've seen other quoted (some up to $7k).

The motor mounts are also notorious for wearing out. But the price you were quoted is quite high. I would shop around for this. You will likely get a better deal at a non-dealership shop. Maybe ask on social media who is a reliable/affordable shop to work with in your area. I would expect if they supply parts and labor this job would run around $700-800. Or as Raz-0 stated, you can get the parts and DIY or with the help of a mechanically inclined friend.

All this aside, when you're now 6 years into the life of your vehicle you can expect that wear and tear items will be starting to go bad. It's the trade off for no longer having a car payment and a warranty. Sometimes you get lucky and the vehicle made be made with quality parts and engineering. Most the time you will be paying to upkeep the parts that have been wearing down for the past 6 years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure where you were going with "Life Span", as these are not "End of Life" issues.

The My Sky issues are well documented on here. It's a cheap and poorly designed system. Frequent cleaning and lubrication (which isn't noted anywhere in your owners manual) is required to ensure it stays operational. The cost you were quoted to replace the entire thing is not far from what I've seen other quoted (some up to $7k).

The motor mounts are also notorious for wearing out. But the price you were quoted is quite high. I would shop around for this. You will likely get a better deal at a non-dealership shop. Maybe ask on social media who is a reliable/affordable shop to work with in your area. I would expect if they supply parts and labor this job would run around $700-800. Or as Raz-0 stated, you can get the parts and DIY or with the help of a mechanically inclined friend.

All this aside, when you're now 6 years into the life of your vehicle you can expect that wear and tear items will be starting to go bad. It's the trade off for no longer having a car payment and a warranty. Sometimes you get lucky and the vehicle made be made with quality parts and engineering. Most the time you will be paying to upkeep the parts that have been wearing down for the past 6 years.
My "Life Span" header...I guess I was just looking to see if anyone else was having problems after going so long having had none. I've just been spoiled. :) My husband and I have owned nothing but Jeep brand since 2001, and neither of us have had any mechanical or major issues whatsoever with any of these vehicles.

My husband and I are definitely not DIY'ers for such issues, but thanks for your opinion/advice. Sounds like I'm going to have to trust a local mechanic if I want to keep my arms and legs!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motor mounts are DIYable with a floor jack a ratchet set and a 2x6 plank if it is the 2.4. $1230, seriously gouging. If you cruise ebay you can get them bundled for about $190. (just looked, and $145 for the pair. Their is a third on the trans which may need replacing as well, and that is harder to get to and is like another $50).

For labor with a lift and a transmission jack I'd say 2 hours labor at most, and most of that is moving the battery and ECU out of the way. If DIY is not for you, call some local places and ask them if they will swap out the mounts if you provide them. $1200+ for the job is obscene.
Thanks so much for all this info. Not a DIY'er, but I'm definitely looking into order the parts and finding a local mechanic!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts