Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found out whether the trans in the Renegade will allow it to be towed with all four wheels on the ground???
In the Cherokee you had to order the Active Drive 2 trans to allow this.
In the Renegade TH they are calling it Active Drive Low, but do not yet specify whether or not it can be towed.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have yet to see anything about this even to see it mentioned anywhere
chances are we might have to wait to see it show up in some official document, configurator, etc.

and it seems we're getting closer to that stage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Renegade Owner's Manual

I have yet to see anything about this even to see it mentioned anywhere
chances are we might have to wait to see it show up in some official document, configurator, etc.

and it seems we're getting closer to that stage.
Towing instructions are detailed on pages 145 & 146 of the Renegade Owner's Manual. See the attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike911sc,,,

Thanks a lot for trying, but I was not looking to be towed out of a mud hole.
There are several people, (including myself) that have been waiting for word on whether this vehicle can be towed behind our motorhomes. We take off and tow our vehicles behind us. Then, we can go to the sand dunes or to Moab as in the videos. In the manuals I have seen it is usually referred to as recreational towing.
Sorry, I didn't stop to think the manuals are probably going to be different. Since the Trailhawk is only going to be offered here with the 2.4L and 9-speed auto trans, it probably is not covered in your manual, but that was what I was thinking when I asked the question.

Tony
Thank you also. Just like you, I haven't been able to find anything on the subject anywhere yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mike911sc,,,

Thanks a lot for trying, but I was not looking to be towed out of a mud hole.
There are several people, (including myself) that have been waiting for word on whether this vehicle can be towed behind our motorhomes. We take off and tow our vehicles behind us. Then, we can go to the sand dunes or to Moab as in the videos. In the manuals I have seen it is usually referred to as recreational towing.
Sorry, I didn't stop to think the manuals are probably going to be different. Since the Trailhawk is only going to be offered here with the 2.4L and 9-speed auto trans, it probably is not covered in your manual, but that was what I was thinking when I asked the question.

Tony
Thank you also. Just like you, I haven't been able to find anything on the subject anywhere yet.

The manual seems pretty clear.

BROKEN-DOWN VEHICLE TOWING
It is recommended to tow the vehicle with all four wheels lifted from the ground on the platform of a rescue vehicle.

VERSIONS WITH FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (4WD) AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
IMPORTANT Avoid lifting the front (or rear) wheels only. Lifting the front (or rear) wheels only while towing might damage the transmission or the transfer unit.

IMPORTANT If a vehicle is towed without complying with the above requirements, the transmission and/or the transfer unit might be seriously damaged. Damage due to an incorrect towing will not be covered by the warranty.​

163) The front and rear tow hooks should be used only for emergencies on the road. You are allowed to tow the vehicle for
short distances using an appropriate device in accordance with the highway code (a rigid bar), to move the vehicle on the road in readiness for towing or transport via a breakdown vehicle.
Tow hooks MUST NOT be used to tow vehicles off the road or where there are obstacles and/or for towing operations using ropes or other non-rigid devices. Respecting the above conditions, towing must take place with two vehicles (one towing, the other towed) aligned as much as possible along the same centre line.​

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are allowed to tow the vehicle for short distances using an appropriate device

Still no mileage or speed related info. My problem is that we would be towing 500 to 700 miles over two days at approximately 62-65 MPH.
I know that the trans with Active Drive 2 is capable of this, but do not know if that is an option on this vehicle.
Unfortunately, if not towable, they will immediately lose several hundred orders in the US market.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You are allowed to tow the vehicle for short distances using an appropriate device

Still no mileage or speed related info. My problem is that we would be towing 500 to 700 miles over two days at approximately 62-65 MPH.
I know that the trans with Active Drive 2 is capable of this, but do not know if that is an option on this vehicle.
Unfortunately, if not towable, they will immediately lose several hundred orders in the US market.
Unfortunately it is looking dim, but lets wait for a more definitive factory answer once the U.S. configuration arrives. If the answer is not what you hope to hear unfortunately I don't think FCA will change the design for a few hundred orders as they want to be selling in the multiple tens of thousands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately it is looking dim, but lets wait for a more definitive factory answer once the U.S. configuration arrives. If the answer is not what you hope to hear unfortunately I don't think FCA will change the design for a few hundred orders as they want to be selling in the multiple tens of thousands.
Agreed...Been waiting now since April for some kind of configurator.
I heard somewhere that dealers would be able to start orders on Jan 6 and am hoping FCA will update the website at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts

You want to know if it is approved for flat towing, which I agree the manual does not address. Which is odd. Usually there is the presence of a distinct no, rather than simple absence of a yes for vehicles with AWD/4WD.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You want to know if it is approved for flat towing, which I agree the manual does not address. Which is odd. Usually there is the presence of a distinct no, rather than simple absence of a yes for vehicles with AWD/4WD.
That's exactly what I am looking for. At 3500 lbs, it falls 1000 lbs under what my motorhome is approved to tow. The Cherokee TH weighs in at 4100 lbs and can be towed 4 down, but that 600 extra lbs DOES make a big difference when towing uphill on the mountainous terrain out here in California.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found out 3 days ago that only the 6-speed can be towed with all four wheels on the ground. Evidently the 9-speed auto in the Renegade Trailhawk is not the same 9-speed that they put in the Cherokee Trailhawk.

Ordered my new Cherokee Trailhawk yesterday.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Found out 3 days ago that only the 6-speed can be towed with all four wheels on the ground. Evidently the 9-speed auto in the Renegade Trailhawk is not the same 9-speed that they put in the Cherokee Trailhawk.

Congrats @SacsTC !! Let us know how you like it! The Cherokee TrailHawk is also on my list if the Renny doesn't meet my needs.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

SacsTC congrats, but, since there is little concrete information on the U.S. spec Renegade, and most of the information is speculation, where and how did you get information to confirm this?

Even if true, won't one of the aftermarket RV companies come out with a trans pump for the Renegade for flat towing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Caltom,

While my info may be early, I really don't doubt it to be true. The info can be found in the FMCA towing Guide for 2015 model year vehicles. My wife also worked for CDJR here in sacto, and the service manager told us it was not going to be able to be used the in the way we wanted. He was undergoing his training on the US version at that time. The FMCA guide was just the confirmation on what he had stated 5 months ago.

It is possible that Remco will come out with whatever is needed but so far even they have not come up with a kit to fix it aftermarket. Only vehicles equipped with "Active Drive 2" can be towed at this time.

Quote from Remco and also from FMCA::Only vehicles with a two-speed automatic transfer case can be towed four wheels down.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SacsTC congrats, but, since there is little concrete information on the U.S. spec Renegade, and most of the information is speculation, where and how did you get information to confirm this?
The official U.S. Owner's Manual is now out with the information:

·
Registered
4 Posts
well autoguide, and a couple of others, are saying that there will also be a six-speed manual gearbox, but it's only available on the front-wheel drive models.

Thr Canandian model .." engine is mated to a sporty and fuel-efficient continuously variable transmission (CVT) with Honda “G-design” shift logic, or a slick-shifting 6-speed manual transmission (2WD models only). The HR-V is available in either two-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive drivetrain configurations. .." as seen in its intro there.
NO MENTION OF FLAT TOW SO FAR.
that "front wheel" only was why I was so hopeful about the Renegade.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The official U.S. Owner's Manual is now out with the information:

Funny how things differ across the Atlantic.

The Dutch manual just states: "It is recommended to tow the vehicle with all
four wheels lifted off the ground, on the platform of a rescue vehicle."
So it's not forbidden.

Towing with just 2 wheels on the ground is forbidden for auto trans and 4wd.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.