Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Jeep will be able to maintain the Active Drive II and II in the little Renegade?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
If they want to keep it as a true jeep, then yes. I doubt they will go without it, slight chance of that

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
all we can do at this point is speculate if it will happen, wait for the detroit show for more info, and go from their.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but if Jeep came out with a car that didn't have AWD would the Jeep lovers riot and protest? haha

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeep enthusiasts already aren't pleased with the Cherokee

The Renegade might just cause them to flip the cow over.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Jeep enthusiasts already aren't pleased with the Cherokee

The Renegade might just cause them to flip the cow over.
50/50 chance of that.
Hopefully we hear more about it at the Detroit show, even if it's just some Q&A.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many sources seem to indicate that the Renegade will indeed have an AWD option

The question that is important is WHAT KIND of AWD system is it using? I believe Jeep will either have to design a new system (unlikely) or borrow one from Europe

The current Jeep AWD systems seem to be too large to fit to the Renegade.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't have much knowledge about the difference between various all-wheel drive systems, and so I did some searching to try to find a comprehensive comparison. I came across the following chart:

Source: http://sites.google.com/site/awdand4wd/

Can someone with a good knowledge of the Renegade's system please tell me where on this chart the Renegade can be placed?

·
Super Moderator
3,389 Posts
That chart is.... Well not exactly wrong, but seriously lacking critical detail. Kind of like comparing the value of various university degrees by tuition price, football team, and the presence of a beer pong league.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Great find. Good question.

The Renegade's system may need its own box.

Some may look at the schema and think Full-time 4WD Torsen can do it all. But in actuality can only serve all categories half-way. A "Jack of all trades..." situation. To get "the best" you have to target the system's build for whatever direction you want in drivability.

Personally, I want mostly on-road traction and some off-road capability (level ground, no hill-climbing competition) so I hope the Renegade falls in the intersection of green and red circles.

And I would love to see someone enable a Renegade to champion Pike's Peak. Leave the extreme hill-climbing competitions to Wrangler.

>:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I too is primarily looking for a car with one-road traction, but I also want a car that can handle snow and ice without two wheels spinning and the car being stuck. I'm looking forward to doing a test drive in one of the coming weeks. And hopefully my part of Norway will be both snowy and icy by then :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I too is primarily looking for a car with one-road traction, but I also want a car that can handle snow and ice without two wheels spinning and the car being stuck. I'm looking forward to doing a test drive in one of the coming weeks. And hopefully my part of Norway will be both snowy and icy by then :)
Where do you live?
Even with a 90's honda civic on snow tires i fly past everyone in horrible winter conditions :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Where do you live?
Even with a 90's honda civic on snow tires i fly past everyone in horrible winter conditions :)

I'm in Hedmark in the south east of Norway, close to the border to Sweden. In winter we typically get two or three months with snow and a couple of more months with slippery roads. I've been driving Saabs with FWD (once promoted as "the winter car") and I have honestly never had any problems getting stuck, but then again I have not put the cars through the biggest tests. With a Renegade I'm hoping to maybe take on unplowed forest roads when going out to find a ski trail.

I remember I was very impressed when testing Saabs XWD with eLSD (which probably is the best Haldex implementation to date), but as far as I can tell the AWD system in the Renegade is even better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts