Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Renegade Audio Guide & Head Unit Removal

31K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Joey Pickering 
Renegade audio system

Same plan. What are your ideas on going about this? Is there a factory amp to bypass at all?

I plan to cut the wires coming from the stock radio harness and running the speaker outputs to a amp that has HIputs (high inputs) and then connecting the amps output into the stock speaker wire runs. I hope the stock wiring can handle the increased load. One great amp is the JL audio HD900/5. It amplifies all four "satellite" speakers (stock speaker locations in the doors) and has a dedicated mono output for a subwoofer. These amps are expensive, but worth the investment. Tons of adjustments and a special internal power "filter" that uses electricity smoothly. Hate to sound like a commercial for JL audio...

As for the speakers in the doors, those will me upgraded to match the capabilities of this amp.

Still need to figure out where to mount the amp itself. I thinking either the glove compartment or in the rear next to the sub.

My rene came without a spare tire, and has the round Styrofoam insert in the tires place. This cavity plus the space above it when the shelf is in the "flush" position looks ideal for a custom subwoofer box. Removing the insert and relocating the air pump/fix a flat thing. This way there is no box taking up too much room in the rear storage area..

Hmm... I just read the specs on the HD900/5 and realized it only takes RCA. I thought it had high inputs as well as RCA. That means a 4 channel input converter will be necessary. As far as a sub signal, the converter outputs for the rear channels would be connected to the sub inputs too, via a RCA Y cable. The amp as enough built in filters and frequency cutoff to use the raw speaker signals.

EDIT: I will have to research that amp! Maybe I had the two models confused with each other

No, I just looked at the manual. And I assume yours is the same as mine, just with more power. There is a switch to set it from low (rca input) to high. Although no apparent high input slots, you just wire the speaker line to rca jacks. It specifically states that a LOC is not necessary.

Oh man, yeah you're right. I found the switch. I'm not much for reading manuals. I used this amp with an aftermarket head unit with a remote line output. With a stock unit feeding it how to you switch the amp on and off? Can you run the acc power out from the ignition to the remote input? I wondered if full blown 12v would over power the remote signal input.

. Not sure how this one will be getting power line through firewall.

There are a few generous grommets in the firewall already. And as for hiding the wire traveling front to back I plan on fishing a wire bundle through the hollow plastic interior side molding. It looks big enough to feed a fiberglass fishing rod through it*. If you have the 6 speaker setup the rear dummy speaker covers come off easy. Pop them off starting on the front end (towards the engine) and then take a good look inside! There is plenty of room for wiring in there.

*Not a fiberglass fishing pole for catching fish... I have a set of "fishing" rods that are 6 ft long that connect to each other for running wire in the walls of a house

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.