Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
How can you go for a snack run with the tent attached?[/QUOTE]

I agree.... What do ou do if you want to use your vehicle during the day for something else? Can you detach it & leave it & have the ability to close it up?

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
lol You guys make a good point.

TS

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm small (5'2") and I would be cramped if I just folded the backseats down, that said someone who's bigger (read: everybody) would be like the below image even with the front seat folded down. Personally I am crossing my fingers for a roof tent that's geared towards the Renegade, just like the one on the Grand Cherokee during the Easter Jeep Safari. I'm sure you could camp out in the back if you needed to, but you might not be too happy the next morning.

If it puts things in better perspective, my ex and I car-camped in the back of my Lexus RX330, he's 6'3" and had to curl up to fit. The Lexus is about 1" wider and nearly 2' longer, but the front seat didn't fold, so that might make them about equal. It all just comes down to how comfortable you want to be. I would say it's fine for a night or two but any longer than that, I would just get the tent that connects to the hatch from Mopar.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
It all just comes down to how comfortable you want to be. I would say it's fine for a night or two but any longer than that, I would just get the tent that connects to the hatch from Mopar.
Thats what I was thinking. Although I probably wouldn't purchase it. I would just make something that drapes/connects over the hatch and some sort of fold out plank/bed for the feet.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Years ago I "camped" overnight in the back of my '88 200SX hatchback with the back seats down and the driver's seat leaned forward. Laying diagonally with my head by the driver's seat and my feet in the opposite corner, I was able to almost stretch out fully (I'm 6'0") Just for grins I tried the same thing in the Renegade, and while not exactly luxurious it would work for one person in a pinch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am exploring the ins and outs of building a camping trailer with a tent top via https://compactcampingconcepts.com/ and here http://dinoot.com/models/j-series.html

Should be a good fit for the Renegade's capabilities, leaving the roof and interior for other cargo.

I want to pull a small camper with my Jeep Renegade too. Have you installed a trailer hitch on your Jeep Renegade? If so what brand? Were there any complications with the installation?

Thanks!

Irishcopper

·
Registered
212 Posts
A buddy of mine did a last minute road trip up to Dallas for the 4th of July and with the front seats pushed all the way forward and folded to their max folding positions, we were able to fit without much issue in back. Kind of awkward getting in and out of and in retrospect probably not the best idea on a humid Texas day :/ but made it work. Both of us are 6'4"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you installed a trailer hitch on your Jeep Renegade? If so

I bought the Mopar hitch from Renegade Ready along with the wiring kit but haven't installed it yet, project for next weekend. The instructions along with the build thread on here should make it a fairly straightforward process.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I bought the Mopar hitch from Renegade Ready along with the wiring kit but haven't installed it yet, project for next weekend. The instructions along with the build thread on here should make it a fairly straightforward process.
Do you have any guesses as to how long it could take to do the install and how hard/easy its going to be? Never done anything like this and this might be one of the first things i try.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are there any pictures of someone laying in the back of the Renegade with the seats down? I want to purchase one, but want the ability to sleep in the back if needed.I also know you can lay down the passenger seat and maybe that could help? Thanks!
Hey JacerRacer, I’m 5’7”, and with the front passenger seat pushed forward and folded down, I fit fully stretched out on my 3" foam mattress. I usually sleep with my head at the hatch, so's I can look at the stars.

I'll post pictures this weekend, when I do a trial run.

As a gal who travels and car camps on my own a lot, I wanted a sleep-in camping solution that provided maximum security, was weather-proof, quick to set-up/tear-down, and didn’t add a ton of weight to the car.

I have a rough and tumble setup with the mattress, food, water, power, privacy, ventilation, and the ability to boogie without having to exit the car. I used it often in my VW, and will be transferring the gear to the Jeep for my next trip.

I’m excited. The Jeep is tons roomier!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey JacerRacer, I’m 5’7”, and with the front passenger seat pushed forward and folded down, I fit fully stretched out on my 3" foam mattress. I usually sleep with my head at the hatch, so's I can look at the stars.

I'll post pictures this weekend, when I do a trial run.

As a gal who travels and car camps on my own a lot, I wanted a sleep-in camping solution that provided maximum security, was weather-proof, quick to set-up/tear-down, and didn’t add a ton of weight to the car.

I have a rough and tumble setup with the mattress, food, water, power, privacy, ventilation, and the ability to boogie without having to exit the car. I used it often in my VW, and will be transferring the gear to the Jeep for my next trip.

I’m excited. The Jeep is tons roomier!
I look forward to seeing your set up

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Why not just fold the passenger seat flat? Honda advertises that in the new HR-V it's 8 feet from dashboard to tailgate, the Renegade should be close to that.
I am able to put my 8' fishing pole in the Renegade. The pole goes from the tailgate to the dashboard. The 9 foot fits also but almost goes to the windshield. I'm not sure how much bigger a Ford Escape is but I have a friend that has a 2006 Escape and he sleeps in it regularly on fishing trips.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Recline the front seat and sit on it in a sleeping bag.
We used to do that regularly when on overnight fishing trips.
A pillow helps too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK, curiosity got the best of me, so I had to go out to my Renegade and see how I'd fit in it for sleeping. I have a 2007 Patriot Limited, and the front passenger seat folds completely flat, so it will hold a twin size air mattress easily (with length to spare) for camping. The Renegade's front seats don't fold flat, so I had to do a test run in the driveway to see how it would work in a pinch. I folded the back seats down flat, and folded the front passenger seat as far forward as it would go. It is too bad that the giant headrests don't come out, because that would allow the front seat to slide forward without hitting the glove box. I'm 6'-0" tall and about 225 lbs, and with the seats folded I was able to stretch out rather well! The front seatback is at a slight angle, but I like to sleep like that anyway. To be comfortable, there would have to be something to bridge the small gap between the folded back seats and the folded front seat. A couple of pillows or a folded blanket would work well to fill the small gap between the seats. I could easily sleep in the Renegade for a night or two if I had to. It would be much more comfortable to stretch out across the back than try to sleep in the reclined passenger seat.

As an added bonus, I found another use for the "hidden remote button" that unlocks/opens the rear hatch. After testing out the sleeping arrangements, I just clicked the remote and popped opened the hatch to climb out the back. That is much easier than crawling out the side door from a prone position.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Schwankster, so glad that worked for you at 6ft tall! Congratulations.

Finally got a chance to put in my sleeping gear, and it fits pretty comfy. The blowup mattress is a standard-sized camping one. I bridge the gap you mentioned that's between the folded-up front seat/back seat with my cooler. I also cover the cargo area with sponge flooring I got at Lowes, and that's covered by a quilt. Easy on the knees and protects the carpet covering. A cargo net holds everything in the rear of the car for driving, so I don’t have to put the seats back up between camping sites.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_295099-47189-MB06014___?productId=3111467&pl=1&Ntt=gym+flooring

Can you explain more about how the remote button works? Would love to be able to get out the back.

As an added bonus, I found another use for the "hidden remote button" that unlocks/opens the rear hatch. After testing out the sleeping arrangements, I just clicked the remote and popped opened the hatch to climb out the back. That is much easier than crawling out the side door from a prone position.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 86 Posts