Jeep Renegade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
This could work

After discovering this thread yesterday, I spent a while measuring the back of my Trailhawk, and I think I can make a bed back there. I'll use 2x4's to lift the back a bit, with plywood on top of that. The plywood will be removable so I can store gear underneath. Then another piece of plywood from there to the top edge of the folded down seats. Once I shove both front seats forward all they can, I think I can fit another piece of plywood between the folded down head rests and the backs of the front seats.

I hope to try to work on this over the weekend, so if it works, I'll post photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's my solution. I'm just over 6 foot and this works perfect for me, it even folds away when not in use. Granted it's a little more complicated to make than a few 2x4s with some plywood, but if you're into building stuff it's a fun project.

I can write more details if anyone is interested. (I can even add details on my projector and screen)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
I'm heading to a deserted beach for a birthday party in the Camargue a few weeks.
(The French Mosquito coast!)

Can't be bothered to pitch a tent for 1 night.

Bit disappointed that the seats don't fold flat
in the Renegade, but this thread has some good
ideas! :thumbs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's awesome...kind of like a professional version of what I envisioned (do you sell these?). I like the idea of the hinges too. Mine will be a bit different, as I plan on using wider pieces for over the back seats, and I thought I might hinge those in the middle. Getting the plywood today, then I need to find something I can use as a saw horse.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's my solution. I'm just over 6 foot and this works perfect for me, it even folds away when not in use. Granted it's a little more complicated to make than a few 2x4s with some plywood, but if you're into building stuff it's a fun project.

I can write more details if anyone is interested. (I can even add details on my projector and screen)
That looks terrific! I'd be interested in learning how to do it :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
(do you sell these?).
Haha, it's possible someone could convince me to but it wouldn't be cheap in order for it to be worth it for me.

I'll snap some more pictures, look through the pictures I took while building it (not very many, I'm afraid), and write up with as much detail as I can remember (I built it in the spring of '16).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cool, thanks. I went by Home Depot and got 2 of the 3 plywood's I'll need - they only had 3 and the 3rd one was not in pristine condition. Maybe after I get this built, I'll see if my wife could sew padding on or something...

·
Registered
19 Posts

Looks so awesome!
would love to know more details of the build as well. Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've considered testing the feasibility of sleeping in the Renegade, I'll report back if I give it a shot next month when I head down to Death Valley!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I developed a modular setup for my Fall 2017 road trip to Virginia.

The Renegade has natural ledges that can support a shelf, so I built one of lightweight slats to span the cargo area to provide storage space at night. With luggage stowed above on the shelf, the entire backseat/cargo area was freed up for the bed. An ice chest in the left-side footwell supported the head of the mattress.

The trifold memory foam mattress was a nice firmness. My only complaint was it was a bit narrow. I originally researched larger options, but then storage space while underway would have been an issue.

I dislike struggling in and out of sleeping bags, so I wrapped up in a fleece blanket. It got down below freezing my first night out, and the setup was quite warm and cozy.

In practice, both rear seats were folded down to maximize elbow room.

I built covers for the rear windows and used a sunshield for the front window. I didn’t have to build a cover for the hatchback, since the stowed luggage prevents peeping.

I was really happy with the outcome. Can’t wait for my next trip!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Forgot to include a shot of the shelf by itself. I partially encased it in plastic to create a stow pocket for the window coverings.

Spot the Renegade! Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park, Commando Green camouflage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,575 Posts
Slatted shelf is an excellent further improvement on the concept.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Slatted shelf is an excellent further improvement on the concept.
Thank you, Nev. Every other sleeping layout I came up with added either too much weight or used up too much space. This was the only one I could think of that added space. I’m glad I noticed the ledges!

·
Premium Member
916 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would you be kind enough to provide the dimensions for your shelf IE: did you Brad nail,or screw it together? What did you do for the window coverings? I’m in Va where did you venture too?

·
Registered
22 Posts
didn't read every post. im 5,6" and camp out in my renegade often. i pulled the rear seat bench out so the seats fold flat, stuffed a sleeping bag in the foot well and i sleep very comfortably. love it, thats why i got it. still kinda thinkin about getting a roof top tent... but my set up so far is legit so i dunno if i will. also hooked myself up with a yeti hopper cooler bag- fits perfect in the passenger side rear footwell. ill get some pics of my hatch area set up.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I'm interested in a build plan

·
Registered
68 Posts
I attached a photo of an air mattress I got for 7 bucks at walmart. I use it when sleeping in my Honda Fit, and will be giving it a try soon in the new renegade. I'm 5'10'' 160lbs and it was quite comfortable with my girlfriend and I... Though may need like two of our couch pillows for support under the mattress in a few spots, but i suspect this will be fine.
Just wanted to add an update: We have now used this camp set up, and it was awesome. I'm eventually going to make a platform similar to what halcyon510 made, except my platform with be more to make the air mattress flat. My only issue with my set up is that we have to find a slope to park the car on so that the sleeping area is flat. I think by constructing a platform which only has the middle are rear sections, I can avoid all the extra work of adding metal supports. I'll just need some legs on the middle section as well. The trick is to sleep with head towards the rear of the car, avoiding the need for support in the front. I'll update when I get around to building.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would you be kind enough to provide the dimensions for your shelf IE: did you Brad nail,or screw it together? What did you do for the window coverings? I’m in Va where did you venture too?
Apologies for the delay, Brewc. Took a while to locate my build plan.

I used screws through the under supports. For the window coverings I cut out templates from newspaper, then cut the resulting shape out of Reflectix Roll Insulation.

I was in Vinton, VA visiting friends. We went to the Blue Ridge Folklife Festival and I witnessed mule jumping and horse pulls for the first time. It was AH-mazing.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 86 Posts