Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a slew of competitors coming online for the Renegade. Remember, the competition is the B-Segment, not Off-Road. With a number of the brands offering All Wheel Drive (AWD), those who want winter / snow capabilities but not true off-road have a number of choices. My guess is 90% of B-Segment buyers have no interest in going off-road, of the remaining 10% fewer still will be swayed by the Renegade as Subaru and others may offer viable capabilities. Not that many people are really going to climb Moab or fly through lakes.

Buick Encore
Chevrolet Trax *
Ford EcoSport *
Ford EcoSport Storm *
Honda HR-V *
Hyundai Tucson
Hyundai ix25 *
Kia Sportage
Kia ix25 twin *
Mazda CX-3 *
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Subaru Forester
Subaru Crosstrek
Toyota C-HR *

(* concept or coming soon)

Take a look what Ford came up with, the Ford EcoSport Storm concept, it sure looks like it may handle as much off-road as the Renegade.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1410_raptor_like_ford_ecosport_troller_t4_off_road_debut_in_sao_paulo.html

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
For b-segment you left off the juke and the mini countryman which jeep likes reminding us about.

honest b-segment in the US market is
Buick encore
chevy trax
nissan juke
mini countryman
jeep renegade.

Unless I'm missing something everything else is a maybe for production or the us market. All those are on sale someplace if not the US, and confirmed for the US market.

CX-3 is in theory not coming here, ecosport has no hard commitment unless news changed recently. ix25 won't be here until 2017 if at all. H-RV is probably real for the US, but no date. CH-R is no date period much less us market last I checked.

Dollar for dollar though, in the US market it is up against a lot more competition. I don't disagree about a lot on your list even if they are really small c-segment vehicles. IT should probably be even longer if you just go by price. Especially for those cross shopping against a renegade in trailhawk or limited trim. Those aren't likely to stay out of the mid 20s, and there are a lot of vehicles there.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I think the only vehicle on that list that could really compete with the renegade in the capability department is the Forrester with X-drive or whatever their off-road mode is.

The rest definitely give it a run for its money in size, economy, and price. Well at least the currently released American cars on the list. I can't say I know much about the concepts or European vehicles.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I always thought that the Kia Soul would be a big competitor for the Renegade.
that's what i was thinking as well, it's a great vehicle that is clearly doing very well in it's segment, something that even Honda might have trouble taking over with it's up coming HRV.

·
Super Moderator
3,353 Posts
that's what i was thinking as well, it's a great vehicle that is clearly doing very well in it's segment, something that even Honda might have trouble taking over with it's up coming HRV.

Soul owns the box on box b-sement. They ship 5x the units of the next competitor. If FCA wants to be shipping 250k renegades in the US, they will have to steal some of those buyers form the soul.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Kia will be cheaper, have a better warranty, and will likely get better real world fuel economy. I don't see the Renegade making a very large ripple in the water considering it's the most car-like Jeep ever built in the history of the company. At least the Patriot visually LOOKS like a Jeep.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think that the segment is more popular and competitive in Europe. Europeans love these small CUVs more than North Americans. It might be one of the reasons that jeep decided to release the Renegade in Europe before North America.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is, americans were more used to having bigger vehicles, too used to it. I just wish this all started to happen much sooner than it is currently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
True Competitor - Subaru

I think the only vehicle on that list that could really compete with the renegade in the capability department is the Forrester with X-drive or whatever their off-road mode is.

The rest definitely give it a run for its money in size, economy, and price. Well at least the currently released American cars on the list. I can't say I know much about the concepts or European vehicles.
I agree with SubVet's statement, the Forester connects to the Renegade at a higher degree than I think some people realize. At an attempt of objectivity I would say the top 2 competitors are going to be the Forester and the Kia Soul. Different reasons for both; the Soul= a small B-Box city car with street skills, maybe it will be AWD, and it looks less stupid than most others - yet, it's not exactly something I want in the Pacific Northwest. Snow+dirt

The forester, one can't explain without being in it, is not a "good try" or an allusion to another car, or even just "decent". It almost always exceeds reviewers opinions. I hold that car in the highest for it's class (above Mercades GLK/crv/rav4)
:nerd: OK Nerd Power GO! :nerd:

________SF (Forester)**_Feep Renegade**

Clearance:--8.7"------------8.7"-------_----Same (but likely Rennie w/a bit better travel (?))
Horsies:[email protected]@6400-----Same (basically-look at dem revs)
Torks:[email protected]@4400-----Same
Lgth/Wth.--180.9"x70.7"---166" x 71"-----SF def. longer better highway handling, but worse turning radius
Interior-----147 cu'----------118 cu'--------SF = more space, but close considering passenger volume
Towing-----1500------------2000
Moneys:Like $2-3k more---2-3k less-------My estimates comp. w/trailhawk

+Off Road: SF is best right now (class) / Rennie will be better but SF will still be #2 (not baad) - Rennie has a sweet 20:1 crawl ratio too
+Break over ect. angles: Rennie is better than SF by 2-10 degs in every category
+Engine: 2.5 Boxer and 2.4 Tiger are BOTH AWESOME torky low ends, different stroke and bore thougg

What It comes down to: Price might be better on the Rennie so that's good; But what I'm really unsure about is:
1. the CVT transmission makes me nevous and I don't wanna be "Motor-Boating" in that particular way; conversely I'm really liking the 9speed Chrysler Auto
2. The recent SF Boxer piston ring problems that the internet is blabbing about (class action suit maybe)(burns 1qt oil / month for some).... and conversely Tiger shark is a cool name and that makes it run better.

** Comparing gas base & Trail hawk models so no diesel or turbo options
SF Specs link

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts