Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many were disappointed when it was announced that the KL Cherokee would not have its diesel mill migrate across the Atlantic, it looks like Jeep has learned from the snafu and will be offering the BU Renegade with an optional diesel for the US market. Availability is unclear still but this is certainly a welcome sign.

It was confirmed to Auto News this morning that both powerplants will be offered as well as standard AWD.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/03/2015-jeep-renegade-getting-diesel-4wd-exclusively-us.html

·
Registered
402 Posts
That report was written before the official introduction and there were unconfirmed reports that the US would get a diesel but, during the official introduction Mike Manley made a point to say the US will only get 2.4L and 1.4L Turbo options for the engine.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thankfully I'm not in a position to buy one just yet; that way I can wait and HOPE they will wise up and bring us a diesel. I would love a diesel Trailhawk! If I'm going to trade the power of my WRX (that I sold a year ago) for a more offroad-capable vehicle like the Renegade, I'd really like it to get really good mpg.

Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
I probably wouldn't buy the Renegade unless it had a diesel option for the U.S. I would prefer the Wrangler in a diesel, but the Renegade has my interest. Let's hope that Jeep will offer a diesel option in the Renegade by 2016.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's funny if you are a Jeep news reader like myself, Jeep goes out of there way to say there will be no Renegade Diesels and no Wrangler Diesels in the US.

But if you listen to the TFLCar.com guys reviews they went to take a photo of the Renegade engine while the hood was open at the Moab introduction and were told no, you can't, it is a Europe diesel model...
http://www.tflcar.com/2014/04/jeep-week-tfltalk-is-the-2015-jeep-renegade-worthy/

Then while they were walking around at Moab and came across a Wranger diesel and the guards tried to shu them off...
look at the video between 10:10 and 10:50

So there will be no Renegade Diesels and no Wrangler Diesels in the US!!!!!!!
( but they are just trying them out in Moab in case they change their story line...) :)
http://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Wrangler-Diesel1.png

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow! That is just wrong. They can't make it exclusive just to the GC in the US. That seems very un-Jeep!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The diesel would be a perfect fit for me. I already have a 3/4 Dodge Cummins diesel to tow my horse trailer and I can load the camper on the truck. If I could get the 2.0 diesel engine option in the Renegade, I could tow the horse trailer with the horse in it in case of emergency.

Southern California wild fires have now become an "all year" possibility. If I had to evacuate my horse and my truck wasn’t available, I could tow with the Renegade. 3300 lbs towing (2.0 diesel option) is more than enough. My horse trailer (2000 lbs) and horse (960 lbs) total of 2960 lbs. and the tack would bring it to about 3200 lbs. I know that is right at the specification towing limits, but in an emergency situation, it could be done. As it is now with only gas engine options (2000 lbs towing) in the US, all I could do is tow the trailer (EMPTY). I know I'm not the only one that would find the diesel towing capabilities with the 2.0 diesel an option that would fit their requirements.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In 2013 we went to the Orange County Auto Show (Southern California) and I asked Land Rover personnel why they do not offer a diesel in the Range Rover or any of their models in the US. As the representative explained the “Lack of sales” and how “un-popular” diesel engines are in the US, a group of people were gathering. Of the 10 or so people gathered, they expressed wishes to see a diesel option in the Land Rovers. Unless I’ve missed something, Land Rover has yet to commit to a diesel option in the US. VW, BMW, Mercedes Benz are all growing the diesel engine option in the US. Why can’t Jeep / Fiat do the same thing? The diesel engine doesn’t have to be made by Fiat at the Plant in Pratola Serra, Italy. It can be made by VM Motori in in the plant in Cento, Italy. VM Motori makes the V6 diesel engine for Jeep and Ram. VM Motori, if I am not mistaken, is 100% owned by Fiat now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes sir you're not the only one! I have a feeling FCA is about to change their tune regarding diesels in the US. Consider the EcoDiesel 1500... they can't build them fast enough from what I've read...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep have made it clear that they want to bring more diesels into the American market. And from my understanding, the emission requirements have aligned with the European market, therefore there are no extra costs to make it happen. We'll see what happens, but I'm guessing we'll see a diesel option for the Renegade in time for Jeep's 75th anniversary (2016).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel quality is still a tuning issue between there and here . I am ready to buy one as soon as it's available. One thing I thing is a huge plus for the future little jeep, it won't have the useless AWD systems of the other small crossovers .i think it hits their target perfect. If I want real ground clearance and towing etc, I will just take the cummins 6.7. For most of my snowy trips to northern Michigan the Renegade will be perfect .

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Fuel quality is still a tuning issue between there and here . I am ready to buy one as soon as it's available. One thing I thing is a huge plus for the future little jeep, it won't have the useless AWD systems of the other small crossovers .i think it hits their target perfect. If I want real ground clearance and towing etc, I will just take the cummins 6.7. For most of my snowy trips to northern Michigan the Renegade will be perfect .
nice first post, welcome to the forum.

you may want to introduce yourself to us here in this section: http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/5-new-member-introductions/

·
Registered
953 Posts
Does Jeep or Chrysler offer any diesel vehicles at all in the US? I just can't see the Renegade being the first one that they offer with diesel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts