Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://goodcarbadcar.kinja.com/bored-yet-u-s-subcompact-crossover-sales-jumped-95-i-1709806177

Renegade is #5 , 3600 behind number one, and that's jsut for b-segment CUVs with awd. Include the FWD only soul, and it moves to #6 , and the soul almost doubles the volume of the #1 vehicle, the crosstrek. Heck the soul is about 36% of the total sales volume on that chart just by itself.

FCA needs to get some basic incentives in place and get units shipping. Although given the melfi plan capacity, I don't know that they can actually do better than 3rd place on that chart.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
FCA needs to get some basic incentives in place and get units shipping. Although given the melfi plan capacity, I don't know that they can actually do better than 3rd place on that chart.
I agree on the incentives. As usual, folks are eating up the Honda marketing, and will buy them in droves. As for capacity, even if the Melfi plant can increase capacity, I would think they should start to bring over Renegades that are made in Brazil as well.

TS

·
Registered
56 Posts
Advertising and marketing has been horrendous.

I haven't seen many commercials or any other forms of advertisement. I stumbled upon it during my SUV search on a dealer's site which lead me to research on my own.

They need to do better.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I haven't seen many commercials or any other forms of advertisement. I stumbled upon it during my SUV search on a dealer's site which lead me to research on my own.

They need to do better.
Agreed! They need more marketing than the hipster commercial with the Rengade song. Some typical Jeep commercials showing it tackling trails and outdoorsy stuff will help it IMMENSELY, not just some kids driving through the city with the MySky panels off.

I mean, even a humorous ad with something treating it like Wrangler's little brother would be better than what is out right now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Jeep is giving incentives hear in the UK, £1000 off list price on all models + an additional £500 loyalty bonus if you already own a fiat group car (I got this as I own a Alfa Romeo). Also 0% finance over 3 years.

We have also been having TV adverts for the Renegade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here in Colorado, they are going off the lots about as fast as they come in.. The story about the transmission software problem is not help either.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Some typical Jeep commercials showing it tackling trails and outdoorsy stuff will help it IMMENSELY, not just some kids driving through the city with the MySky panels off.
That'd be fine if the Renegade was a scaled down Wrangler. Fact is, it is not. It was not designed from the ground up as a off-road 4x4 vehicle first. It was designed to be a city friendly, fuel consumption conscious, car-based, small crossover that could (if out-fitted to Trailhawk specs) have class leading off-road capability.

In any other trim, besides the TH, the AWD Renegade doesn't offer any significantly better off-road capability than the competition. In these instances, the appeal is the rugged, active lifestyle the Jeep brand represents—hence, the commercials you've been seeing. Off-road domination is NOT the biggest selling point for this model. Jeep officials have said as much themselves at various international auto shows where this vehicle was launched.

It's a light hiking shoe that actually does get muddy once in a while. In contrast, the Wrangler is a combat boot. What Jeep is doing with the Renegade reminds me of what Subaru's been doing. Less talk on boring product specs, but showing people loving life with their Renegades (Subarus are selling like hot-cakes, by the way), which is quite smart. But, the song is getting very annoying... too see-say. Need more variety, more songs from different artists. But, that is unlikely, because it's very expensive to get usage rights.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What made me want the Renegade were all the demo and test videos of people crashing through the mud with it and such. It came at a time in my life when we're doing a lot of hiking and exploring and camping. The trailhawk version is the only one I considered, although I think the others are fine. So far in my usage of it off road it totally lives up to what I wanted and needed. I would have went with a subaru if I didn't get the Renegade.

In terms of marketing, I wish they'd push the less urban side of the Renegade, get it out there to do what it's capable of. I know mine feels more comfortable off road than on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's a light hiking shoe that actually does get muddy once in a while. In contrast, the Wrangler is a combat boot.
Which is funny in your comparison because most of the people that buy Wranglers now a days do not take their Jeeps off road and do it because they have become such an oversaturated vehicle for the cool, hip crowd on the urban streets of most cities.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's a light hiking shoe that actually does get muddy once in a while. In contrast, the Wrangler is a combat boot. What Jeep is doing with the Renegade reminds me of what Subaru's been doing. Less talk on boring product specs, but showing people loving life with their Renegades (Subarus are selling like hot-cakes, by the way), which is quite smart. But, the song is getting very annoying... too see-say. Need more variety, more songs from different artists. But, that is unlikely, because it's very expensive to get usage rights.
Sure, I think the Subie approach would work wonders! And definitely more songs... :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Which is funny in your comparison because most of the people that buy Wranglers now a days do not take their Jeeps off road and do it because they have become such an oversaturated vehicle for the cool, hip crowd on the urban streets of most cities.
There are two things at play here. Reality and perception. People do buy a lot of goods to do things they would like to do, but that doesn't mean they will actually get off the couch and do those things. Disagree? Have you looked at Craigslist and yard sales? How many times do you see barely used fitness equipment offered for sale?

Going off-road, being adventurous and living an actively life (in the woods or in the city) are all part of the Jeep image. But, Jeep doesn't own that space. Just about any manufacturer can sell that image. What sets the Jeep brand apart is its American heritage, its independent and free spirit (Renegade, Liberty, Compass, Cherokee, Wrangler... see a pattern here?) The average consumer would not know the Renegade isn't built in America. Heck, nowadays, I don't think many American shoppers care.

Anyway, the Wrangler's image (regardless of trim) is first and foremost mud-slinging hard core. That is not the Renegade's profile. It's smaller, more nimble and slightly softer. And only the Trailhawk is kitted up to be closer to its bigger brother. Marketing the Renegade to be specifically Trailhawk/Wrangler focused, would be a mistake and won't boost sales volumes to rival Subaru. Doing so, you'd only be speaking to a very small percentage of would-be Renegade buyers.

Advertising is expensive. If you're going to advertise, you need to capture a broader audience in order to maximize return of investment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is so true. If I had a dime for every clean as a whistle you-know-this-car-has-never-seen-dirt Wrangler around LA I could buy one as a second car for myself.

Getting the Renegade felt liberating after years of driving a VW GTI. I'm no longer held back by where I want to (within reason).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyway, the Wrangler's image (regardless of trim) is first and foremost mud-slinging hard core.
Maybe back in the day and to the older crowd, but this is 2015. Most individuals buying the Jeep brand are buying it as a status symbol with luxurious Grand Cherokees or maxed out 4 door Wranglers. The younger crowd of buyers aren't buying these vehicles for off roading and are buying it as a way to say "look at me!" and Jeep has conformed to that buyer with a more luxurious vehicle as the years have gone by.

The Renegade fits that niche beautifully with the small families looking for economical, small SUVs. Younger crowds looking for a different looking vehicle, and then your "older" crowd that have grown up with Jeep that know and love the brand loving something new from them.

All I am saying is that Jeep is playing right into the population that has surged their growth moreso than the dude/dudette hitting the trails on the weekends.

I am not knocking any line of any vehicle in Jeep as I have owned multiple ones and have a Renegade coming soon. I am simply stating that Wrangler and the Jeep image of today's buyer isn't the rough and tough army boot you make them out to be.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am not knocking any line of any vehicle in Jeep as I have owned multiple ones and have a Renegade coming soon. I am simply stating that Wrangler and the Jeep image of today's buyer isn't the rough and tough army boot you make them out to be.
Again, missing the point, just because someone buys a pair of combat boots today it doesn't mean they will go fight ISIS tomorrow.

Maybe they just want to feel like a bad***, ****-kicker.

Perception and reality. Image sells, it doesn't mean the buyer will be doing exactly what he saw and liked.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Both make good points but...
That'd be fine if the Renegade was a scaled down Wrangler. Fact is, it is not. It was not designed from the ground up as a off-road 4x4 vehicle first. It was designed to be a city friendly, fuel consumption conscious, car-based, small crossover that could (if out-fitted to Trailhawk specs) have class leading off-road capability.

In any other trim, besides the TH, the AWD Renegade doesn't offer any significantly better off-road capability than the competition. In these instances, the appeal is the rugged, active lifestyle the Jeep brand represents—hence, the commercials you've been seeing. Off-road domination is NOT the biggest selling point for this model. Jeep officials have said as much themselves at various international auto shows where this vehicle was launched.
^ THIS sums it up quite nicely (at least for me)
If the Renegade did not exist, I would probably go for a Wrangler since I am used to driving it and really love it. I want a vehicle that is more fuel efficient, city friendly (abit rugged) and if it can do some off road when the need or want arises then great. As fmunk pointed out, that is the Renegade.

As for advertising, I feel that they are not hyping the vehicle in either market well. Make a few urban based commercials, a few off-road ones and maybe a combo of both showcasing the urban and off-road aspects depending on the region of the country the vehicle is being sold at.
Showcase the mySky, the cargo capacity, etc etc. While I love the X Ambassadors and their Renegade song (they came out with another version of it today with the vehicle) they can probably use any music as a background while hyping the Renegades attributes in a 30 second spot.

TS

·
Registered
163 Posts

They need to do better.
I suspect they are holding back on the marketing intentionally - until quality and production are past the shakeout phases.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.