Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Renegade getting it's butt kicked on the lot.

13K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  raz-0 
#1 ·
http://goodcarbadcar.kinja.com/bored-yet-u-s-subcompact-crossover-sales-jumped-95-i-1709806177

Renegade is #5 , 3600 behind number one, and that's jsut for b-segment CUVs with awd. Include the FWD only soul, and it moves to #6 , and the soul almost doubles the volume of the #1 vehicle, the crosstrek. Heck the soul is about 36% of the total sales volume on that chart just by itself.

FCA needs to get some basic incentives in place and get units shipping. Although given the melfi plan capacity, I don't know that they can actually do better than 3rd place on that chart.

#2 ·
FCA needs to get some basic incentives in place and get units shipping. Although given the melfi plan capacity, I don't know that they can actually do better than 3rd place on that chart.
I agree on the incentives. As usual, folks are eating up the Honda marketing, and will buy them in droves. As for capacity, even if the Melfi plant can increase capacity, I would think they should start to bring over Renegades that are made in Brazil as well.

TS

#4 ·
Agreed! They need more marketing than the hipster commercial with the Rengade song. Some typical Jeep commercials showing it tackling trails and outdoorsy stuff will help it IMMENSELY, not just some kids driving through the city with the MySky panels off.

I mean, even a humorous ad with something treating it like Wrangler's little brother would be better than what is out right now.

#11 ·
What made me want the Renegade were all the demo and test videos of people crashing through the mud with it and such. It came at a time in my life when we're doing a lot of hiking and exploring and camping. The trailhawk version is the only one I considered, although I think the others are fine. So far in my usage of it off road it totally lives up to what I wanted and needed. I would have went with a subaru if I didn't get the Renegade.

In terms of marketing, I wish they'd push the less urban side of the Renegade, get it out there to do what it's capable of. I know mine feels more comfortable off road than on.

#23 ·
I kind of like being unique on the road. Prior to me getting a Renegade, I was in love with the Nissan juke. While I'm seeing more of them on the road (maybe 1 every other day) I've yet to see Nissan advertising them. Some cars just receive very little. I've only seen 2 Renegades in the past 3 weeks.

#26 ·
I agree with Mr sunseeker , we got £1000 towards our deposit , and three years interest free finance , there was also plenty TV ads in the UK , also Jeep Renegade sponsoring US TV shows namely Gotham .Had our car five weeks now and no problems whatsoever, it is a 1.6 turbodiesel limited six speed manual in white , fab car , luv it.

#27 ·
Personally I think it is hard to have sales volumes to compete...when there is nothing to sale.
In Canada...allot of Ontario Dealers didn't even get one on first round of shipments.
My Dealer...who I did an order with got one. Was sold pretty fast....and now have just got their second one in.
Still awaiting my custom order however :)

#28 ·
That was partially my point. The production facility servicing north america isn't really capable of producing quantities needed to occupy somewhere between 4th and 5th place. If volumes really shoot up for the segment, not even that.

I can't see them selling through their inventory well, and skipping out on segment growth, so they'll have to come form someplace else at some point unless the segment is done expanding or the renny is a flop.

#29 ·
yeah does seem to be a poorly thought out strategy to build in Italy only....just doesn't seem to be much quantity in North America....not to mention takes forever for custom order to come in.
Though I personally would be happy to have a car....that not everyone else has. So once I get mine, will be happy not to see one everywhere I drive.
I know that is not good for Jeep itself :)

#30 ·
I wonder... if FCA's true intention behind the Renegade wasn't to have a volume seller or to use it to grow market share... But, to improve their fleet average on fuel consumption in order to meet the European Union and US govt fuel consumption standards. Same reason they've been hinting at possible use of hybrid power and lighter Aluminum construction in future products.

#33 ·
I think it's more than just good Honda marketing. Me and the wife are looking for a small, capable awd/4x4 so we've been in mostly all b-seg cute-utes.

What we see is the Honda interior is just light years ahead of the Renegade. The light colored leather and clean dash design is pleasant to the eyes. And while we like the exterior styling of the Renegade, my wife says it's interior, compared to the Honda, looks like it was made by 'Tiny Tikes' ... big roundy chunks of plastic

One area where the Honda lacks is power. The Renegade is much stronger. On a test ride of the HR-V, me, wife and sales guy, I had it floored going over an over-pass and while the engine made much noise there wasn't much going going on. I would not want to rely on the thing to get out of it's own way when merging into traffic.

We are looking between the Wrangler and Renegade. The "Always wanted one" is the Wrangler, whereas the "That makes the most sense" is the Renegade.

#35 ·
To me it's that they don't have any to sell. Once I heard of them. I started calling around. There wasn't even a model to test drive here in Vancouver until April 2015 and we're not a small city. We're actually prime market for this vehicle, city slickers with mountains. But ordered vehicles aren't going to be here till October earliest

#36 ·
it took a month to get it from the Docks of the US to Colorado.. we could not find one on the lot anywhere within 200 miles of the Fort Collins Co area, and finally found what we wanted in transit down in Denver, went there, and a month later it came in. Here in the US, there have been some pretty bad stroms in the Midwest, so the deliveries kept getting pushed back, we finally picked it up last weekend. I have yet to see one on the road.

#37 ·
I would agree that the problem is with lack of units to sell. I have been stalking this veh since I first heard about it in Sept 2014. My dealership finally got one in March 31st. They just got the first mysky last week. I have just been waiting for one with the options and color I want, and now I'm hearing that the color I want has been discontinued so I probably can't even order a '16 like I want. :(

#38 ·
It's a first year product. Most people don't know it exists, and some that do know are waiting for the bugs to get worked out or simple are still doing their research. If I could have waited I would have too.
The people that have approached us about the Reney are asking, What is that? What model of Jeep is that?, When did that come out?, etc. Marketing would help the awareness, but I wouldn't expect sales to skyrocket overnight.
And I agree about the "boot analogy". This isn't a Wrangler, and if it was I would have bought another brand of car. I don't need or want a "combat boot".

#39 ·
Well given the hr-v numbers, I doubt renegade can beat them without either reducing eu allotment from melfi, or shipping units here from Brazil. However, it isn't shipping numbers that should use all the output from melfi dedicated to the U.S. and Canada yet either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.