Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the new 2015 Renegade will outperform a new KL Cherokee offroad.

Consider this: a TJ Rubicon has a worse breakover angle than a new Renegade! And we all consider a TJ Rubicon to be a capable Jeep!

·
Registered
402 Posts
The numbers on the Renegade are quite impressive to be honest and helps point to the fact this is a "real" jeep.

Scott

·
Registered
134 Posts
We need the late Paul Harvey here to "tell us the rest of the story".

Breakover angle means absolutely nothing in this case. Going by this logic...my Craftsman lawn tractor would offroad better than the Renegade because it's breakover angle with the mowing deck detached would destroy any Jeep in this list.

The fact is, breakover angle is a small piece of the pie...a VERY small piece. You've got articulation as a much bigger piece, which the Renegade has zero of. You've got tire size, which the Renegade fails as well. You've got power distribution which is a solid 50/50 on the TJ and can't even be had as an option on the Renegade. You've got down-travel in the suspension which the Wranglers of all vintages are loaded with and the Renegade has none because of it's design.

I could go on all day but the sad fact is that as soon as you take a Renegade onto a mild trail it's going to become a turtle with no feet on the ground. Things that would be elementary for a Wrangler will be a true challenge for a Renegade.

The Renegade is going to appeal to a lot of people for a lot of reasons. Being an offroad machine is not going to be one of them.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
At this point i just want to see it in action.

And after that, see what modifications people will do to make it even more off-road capable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a video where they have taken the renegade out on the trail. Not sure who did it but I think you can pull it up on youtube. Looks very capable!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There is a video where they have taken the renegade out on the trail. Not sure who did it but I think you can pull it up on youtube. Looks very capable!!!!!!
I think i saw it, there's also a commercial or promotional video showing it in action.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Faulty Data: XJ Cherokee's break over angle is better than TJ Rubicon's

First of all, yes the Renegade's break over angle is better than the unlimited Rubicon's but that's actually not very difficult to find. If you,look at Tacomas, Defenders, FJ Cruisers, old Rav4s and Escapes, and any stock 1980s truck, you'll see that their break over angles all surpass the 4 door Rubicon's. In my opinion its been a weakness of the unlimited jeeps since their 2007 inception.

Also, I have a stock XJ cherokee and its break over angle well surpasses what is indicated on the chart. The data probably measures the wheelbase with the vehicles overall ground clearance which is around 8 inches due to the low-hanging rear diff. However, in the middle of the XJ, (where the break over angle is measured) it boasts around 11 inches of clearance. My trigonometry is rusty but 11 inches of clearance (slightly higher than a Rubicon's) plus a 101 inch wheelbase, a whopping 15 inches less than an unlimited Rubicon's, cannot possibly equal a break over angle less than 22.6.

·
Registered
534 Posts
for the record there is no way it outperforms a KL TH V6. I know I have one. I also have a BU TH on order but one of the things I am willing to give up is the capability.

·
Registered
129 Posts
for the record there is no way it outperforms a KL TH V6. I know I have one. I also have a BU TH on order but one of the things I am willing to give up is the capability.
Why is FCA buying back your KL TH? Lemon? Did you have issues with it? Just curious.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Why is FCA buying back your KL TH? Lemon? Did you have issues with it? Just curious.
Sadly it is a lemon and has had many problems that kept it in the shop for weeks at a time. I am driving it until my BU TH comes in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts