Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think the European HID option looks way better and more befitting of the TH edition's high price tag. As is, the US spec headlights look cheap. Anyway, since the Renegade is built in Italy and most likely use a CAN-BUS system, retro-fitting of the HID system will probably be either cost prohibitive or next to impossible. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Actually, I like the lights pictured on the left picture in the first post (the Anvil colored car).

Reactions: twospirits

·
Registered
97 Posts
If I had a Renegade, I would retrofit some HID projectors in there. I'd take OEM HID Projectors any day over standard reflector halogen. I don't know why they don't make it part of the Limited or Trailhawk package here.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wouldn't these just plug in?

Usually, low option cars have the higher optioned car wiring harness with the empty plugs left hanging.

I find it hard to believe the factory would make a completely different wiring harness for one option as simple as a different headlight..

·
Registered
85 Posts

Usually, low option cars have the higher optioned car wiring harness with the empty plugs left hanging.

I find it hard to believe the factory would make a completely different wiring harness for one option as simple as a different headlight..
Rarely the case with modern European cars. Most of the time the wiring (and, sometimes even the physical plugs) and computer coding are different, with the latter being the more challenging workaround (or, if you're like me, the more challenging problem to set up the way the factory intended).

I'm most interested in seeing the first person to retrofit the European tail lights and rear fog light/reverse light!

·
Registered
610 Posts

Depends. With CAN-BUS architecture, everything electrical is tied into the system. This makes retrofitting a headache as non-standard systems can't integrate/interface with the system and throw all shorts of error codes. A friend found this out the hard way, expensively, while trying to upgrade his girlfriend's VW TDI Sportwagon.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Actually, I like the lights pictured on the left picture in the first post (the Anvil colored car).
Me too. This is a Jeep, folks. The retro lights are effective and platform-appropriate.

The cutesy X's and other garb is getting tacky.
For me, it's not so much about looks. Having owned cars with conventional and Xenon headlights, the latter provides much better contrast and visibility at night. Plenty of Wrangler owners who do go off road retrofit Xenons to replace their factory halogen units. Enough so that there is a booming market for such kits. Light output and cut-off from well made projectors are superior to parabolic reflector. Period.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For me, it's not so much about looks. Having owned cars with conventional and Xenon headlights, the latter provides much better contrast and visibility at night. Plenty of Wrangler owners who do go off road retrofit Xenons to replace their factory halogen units. Enough so that there is a booming market for such kits. Light output and cut-off from well made projectors are superior to parabolic reflector. Period.
So a great question is are the Renegade Headlights the same as the Wrangler that the Wrangler Kits can be used or are they different so we would have to wait for someone to come up with a Renegade kit?

·
Registered
610 Posts
So a great question is are the Renegade Headlights the same as the Wrangler that the Wrangler Kits can be used or are they different so we would have to wait for someone to come up with a Renegade kit?
Yah I've been wondering the same. Are they the same diameter? depth? how are they mounted in the Renegade? Is there a factory service manual floating around out there already?

·
Registered
73 Posts

In theory they should, but the Euro spec lights would be aimed/angled differently to account for RHD. You'd have to flip them upside down for a better viewing angle here in the US (or somehow adjust the angle, etc.).

I haven't measured/looked yet, but I'm interested in how the Renegade lights compare to the JK's in terms of size and mounting as well. I'd love to be able to use the KC HiLites LED retrofit kit designed for the JK: http://www.quadratec.com/products/97025_0020.htm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.