Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Jeep guy. My wife is a Jeep girl. Together we own 2 CJ7's, a YJ wrangler, and a TJ wrangler. I bought them all non-running and brought them back to life. I can turn wrenches, but get frustrated with the electronics of modern vehicles. When we first learned of the Renegade, she fell in love immediately. We made 2 trips to the Chicago Autoshow just to see it in person. We started "making payments" to our savings account so she could have a nice new ride when they came out. Initially disappointed that the first wave did not have mysky, she wanted to order one immediately, but I was hesitant to order that feature until I had seen it in person (autoshow Renegade had the panels removed). We took a trip to a large dealer in Chicago that had 40 Renegades in stock. We were able to see them in the storage lot, not showroom. Upon opening 2 different units not yet prepped for sale, water poured out from between the bottom of the doors and the rockers. That had me concerned. So I crawled underneath and noted that there are gaps in the plastic cladding and the rockers. No doubt for drainage, but I can totally see that area collecting dirt and debris and rotting out like the XJ's do. Now reading the forums, I cannot let my wife get behind the wheel of one of these and commute to work everyday. She merges onto two different interstates each way to and from work. I had been subtly dropping hints that I was not so sure about the quality, and finally read her about 10 of the threads on the major issues people have been having. She cried. I am not sure we can hold out for the 2016's and are probably going to have to look elsewhere. Just so disappointed.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I only have 1,500 miles on mine, but it too has been flawless. What's the big deal, it's only a car. The warranty will cover any initial "flaws." Just let her get it. I think she'll be happy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have about 3K now. It hasn't been flawless, but I've had one "major" issue which is the wind noise. That is a serious bummer for me and my wife. They solved it with that "drain tape" which turned the doors into a swimming pool, but abated a little of the wind noise and most of the driver side door whistling.

It's really tough to know if yours will be that way, especially if you're just looking at it in the dealer lot before prepped. Now, I don't think a whole lot goes on during PDI, especially considering some of the awful deliveries some people cited on this forum. However, I can totally understand your concerns.

With all that said, I personally, would probably still purchase it. It's a great car for what we do, travel very long distances. However, I would 100% assert that all things you care about are resolved before you even look into buying one. I'm an idiot and test drove a different Latitude which was quieter but certainly had shift weirdness. I was none the wiser that noise would be a chronic concern. If only I could go back in time.. :p .I would drive the exact car and scrutinize it more. I was very tired that day :(

I suppose I rolled the dice. My transmission shifts perfectly. I inspected most things when I got the vehicle in the air to double check. The only concern I had came down to the wind noise, and the way my dealer is treating me.

So far, Jack @ FCA is handling our situation with the tact and professionalism that I expect. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about our dealer.

/codev

·
Registered
953 Posts
The Renegade has been having some issues, but its not like every Renegade has a ton of problems. There are other vehicles out there that I'm sure you can get your wife excited about, but ultimately, if she really loves the Renegade, maybe its okay to defer to her judgement and let her decide if she wants it or not. After all, she is the one who will be driving it each day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wind noise and rust potential I can deal with, stalling, transmission limp mode, inability to accelerate, service 4wd, door lock issue, control module and others I am very scared of. If I were driving it, fine, bring it on. But for my wife, merging onto 6 lane traffic, any hiccup could be fatal. It seems that 300 miles is the "safe point" if you made it past there, you were ok, but newer threads have popped up with issues beyond that. I understand that this forum is skewed because people not experiencing problems are not searching out forums to vent, and it seems that FCA is working to remedy the issues, and for some people "is just a car". For us in non-profit ministry, this investment needs to be around for at least 10 years and I have to say my confidence is not that high.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The '16s will be out just after July its not a horrific wait. have you guys considered the KL Cherokee as well? If its any consolation the KL's had bad bugs early which eventually all got ironed out... I'm weary of the first batch, holding faith in the second...Welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So far I have just over 1000 miles on mine, and have had no problems (well, a burned out bulb, but that's not a problem).

I drive in LA traffic and it does fine...

While it's not a daily commuter, mine does exactly what I want it to when I ask it to (and I hope it stays that way for a long time) - if it breaks it'll be sent to the dealer for repair (that's what the warranty is for anyway).

As with any first gen item, if you get it, expect issues...

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's a material object. If one can cause strain on a marriage, then perhaps something is to be said about the marriage? For your sake, I hope things are not as bad you sound. Frankly, it's a new car born out of a new partnership between two manufacturers (neither of which are known for quality)... and at a new production facility. The Renegade has a lot stacked against it and it will take time. If you are set on a Jeep, best to just wait for the dust to settle. This is a wiser move because you'll have more time to save up, leaving less to borrow.

If it's any consolation, it seems that most who have reported problems here have been able to get their issues resolved. And, Jeep representative going by the name @JeepCares, does seem to be very proactive about contacting and helping those in need.

Yes, there are issues, but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps I am being melodramatic, and for that I apologize. I understand it is a first run vehicle and bound to have issues. But my world would end if anything happened to my wife while driving any vehicle, but I would have a much more difficult time if I knew it could have been prevented or that I knew something was wrong. Threads like these:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...ew-jeep-family-sadly-not-best-experience.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...lutions/12706-my-trailhawk-died-me-today.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...9-my-new-renegade-needs-new-transmission.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...17-oh-noooooooo-hate-bearer-bad-news-but.html

All have some commonality, being fine one moment, and inoperable the next. We chose our professions and our livelihood, so that is on us, but we will get 1 shot at a new car over the next 10 years, so it has to be reliable. I made the mistake 18 months ago, setting the goal to be in position to buy a renegade when they came out. We made sacrifices and decisions with the end goal being a shiny new trailhawk. When the opportunity came up to sell her daily driver Neon for much more that we could get on trade, we sold it outright with the understanding that by summer, she would be riding in style. I know all of these issues are my fault, and I do feel like Ralph Nader trying to protect my wife from a corvair catastrophe, but if something were to happen to her, it would be the end of the world for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can certainly understand your trepidation about owning the vehicle but of those issues you refrence 2 apparently are genuinely transmission related while the others are an alternator and a hose that came loose while in operation.

As serious as those problems are, I can't help but feel like that statistically these sort of fluke things are bound to occur to a handful of vehicles each and every time a new line or year model is released.

Perhaps I am just trying to convince myself considering I own a latitude but I feel like there is a sense of impending doom among a lot of Renegade owners that post here and I don't see how it is warranted quite yet at least in comparison with my experience with owning the vehicle so far.

At any rate, I hope it works out for you and that your experience will be an awesome one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The '16s will be out just after July its not a horrific wait. have you guys considered the KL Cherokee as well? If its any consolation the KL's had bad bugs early which eventually all got ironed out... I'm weary of the first batch, holding faith in the second...Welcome to the boards.
I am on the Jeep Cherokee owner forum and the '15 model seems to have as many problems as the '14 model. The 9 speed automatic has been problematic for both the Renegade and Cherokee.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think the OP is genuinely concerned about his wife's safety and well-being, and may want to opt for a more proven platform.
I had a friend who insisted that he and his girlfriend would have split years before they did if his car were not equipped with dual-climate control. That is melodramatic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had two problems with my Renegade, but both have relatively simple fixes. I would not use this board as a gauge for reliability. Those who bought Renegades and did not have a problem were not searching for answers to their problems - thus not represented. I would not have found this board if I was not researching a problem.
Every problem I had was first for dealer and FCA.
So ask your dealer how many have come back and if they think it is unsafe. I think you will find we are the exceptions, not the norms.

·
Registered
221 Posts
3300 Miles and 2 months.

Used as a commuter to work. 40 miles round trip 40 hours a week. 4 days of offroading on 3 different trails. Used 4wd and 4low lockers a good amount of times. Works really well and haven't had any major issues.

Minor issues I ran into has not effect the every day useability of the car.

- Transmission has been very good for me. There was one time when the car hesitated to down shift when I tried to pass another car on the freeway. It's only happened once. I figured, if it does it again, I'll just switch it to manual shifting and down shift myself. A software update should be coming soon to fix all of the transmission problems.

- Another small issue I have with my transmission is when I put it in park or when I switch between drive and reverse. The car rolls a little bit, about an inch before switching gears. Kind of the same way old cars roll a bit when putting the car in park because the gears are worn and there is a bit of play. The Jeep didn't do it for me until recently. But the Jeep rolls a bit more than all of the older cars I've driven and I didn't expect it from a brand new car so soon. I figured it's the software and electronically controlled transmission is to blame. When I switch from reverse to drive, the Jeep rolls back a bit before engaging into drive and moving forward.

* Both of those issues have not really effected my trust or usage of the car. I take it as this is how the car is and you have to be aware of it when driving it. Same as switching between cars and being aware of each one's unique personality.

- The last issue I just experienced happened a couple of days ago. After driving the Renegade to work for a week, it did something weird. When I was leaving from work and started the car it gave me a Service 4WD warning on the dash and said that the 4wd system will not work and the car will be only running in 2WD/FWD mode. After the warning cleared off the dash, the Service 4WD warning light stayed lit. I drove the car home like this and could not manually engage the 4WD and none of the other drive modes would work. The car also showed a lack of power. I'm not sure if it went into limp mode to protect the car or if it's because the car was only in 2WD and I wasn't feeling the same acceleration like in 4WD. When I got home I turned the car off and turned it back on. The Service 4WD went away. I test drove it around the neighborhood and tested all of the drive modes. Everything worked like is should and the power came back. The service light has not come back on since. After doing a bit of research, others have seen this light as well, and turning the car off and on seemed to have cleared the light. No one has reported the light coming back on after the first time. Other model Jeeps have had this issue too, with solutions ranging from transmission software updates, bad wiring, bad sensors, bad battery connection, or bad battery.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Perhaps I am being melodramatic, and for that I apologize. I understand it is a first run vehicle and bound to have issues. But my world would end if anything happened to my wife while driving any vehicle, but I would have a much more difficult time if I knew it could have been prevented or that I knew something was wrong. Threads like these:
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...ew-jeep-family-sadly-not-best-experience.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...lutions/12706-my-trailhawk-died-me-today.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...9-my-new-renegade-needs-new-transmission.html

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...17-oh-noooooooo-hate-bearer-bad-news-but.html...

Yes, there are issues. But, when you read stories like that it's important to keep context in mind. There are some 4,500+ Renegades sold so far. A dozen reports of problems is still a very small percentage. If you're really that concerned, the answer is clear: you are not ready. Wait longer, or shop something else. Honestly, what's another year?

·
Registered
46 Posts
As serious as those problems are, I can't help but feel like that statistically these sort of fluke things are bound to occur to a handful of vehicles each and every time a new line or year model is released.

Perhaps I am just trying to convince myself considering I own a latitude but I feel like there is a sense of impending doom among a lot of Renegade owners that post here and I don't see how it is warranted quite yet at least in comparison with my experience with owning the vehicle so far.

At any rate, I hope it works out for you and that your experience will be an awesome one.
Im a "glass half full" kind of girl and I can honestly say I tended to think along these exact lines too! Until I passed 3000 miles and started having problems. :( (My jeep is currently still in the shop for what they thought was the alternator and now seems to be a bad PCM module) Just trying to cover all angles. Its a great looking super fun Jeep BUT if I could go back and do it again...I would absolutely wait or buy something else. (Sorry Renegade)

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is a pretty safe bet and general consensus that FCA vehicles are more problematic than most. That said, Jeep vehicles are are unique in capability and styling. Many are willing to deal with dealer visits, downtime, and as you experienced, breakdowns/towing. I think this works as a weekend toy and for those who can shrug off reliability issues. If you are concerned about your late-night travel and ultimate reliability, there are more proven/refined options, albeit not as exciting.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The facts;

1. Both Jeep and Fiat aren't known or famous for reliability.
2. All new platforms- doesn't matter who makes it, have issues. To me it is never wise to buy first run vehicles
3. In this segment there is no other vehicle that has the off road capability that the Renegade has.
4. Given the ratio on the forums, the amount of issues is excessive when compared to others. It's not the quantity but the severity. The transmission issues is a major one and it doesn't only affect Renegades and Cherokees, but also Landrover and Acura as well anybody using the ZF transmission.

Personal opinions from owning a Fiat and being a part of Fiat forums for three years and 56K miles.

1. Build quality is not the best.
2. Other than a really sketchy beginning, after a year and half and 25K miles most problems have been worked out and my Abarth has been reliable ( I have an 80 mile commute everyday that involves two interstates).
3. There are permanent mechanical flaws I do have that can not be fixed.
4. Dealership relations and service suck but FCA has been helpful to a point when needed.
5. FCA lags when it comes to fixing design issues. Example; Most manufactures it takes about a year to get most things sorted but with Fiat it seems like it takes two to three.
6. Fiat, in my experience and opinion, is not the worst manufacture out there.

The only reason I'm still considering the Renegade is because I want and need a vehicle that has off road capability with good gas mileage and Jeep is the only one that offers this option and it is also cool looking. Other than the first 25K miles being pure **** and coming to grips my car will always have permanent issues, the car has been reliable.

Now if another manufacture came out with something to match the Renegade I would probably take a very hard look at it and maybe even let the Renegade go. If however, I do get the Renegade there would have to be a much closer inspection upon acceptance that I would do before taking ownership such as extended test drive, putting it on a lift to check the underside and having the alignment checked before it left the lot. Excessive for a new car but if I would have done this with the Abarth I would have skipped a lot of headaches and troubles. Another thing to have is an extended warranty and I am waiting at least TWO years before deciding. That is an absolute must.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.