Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Renegade is putting a strain on my marraige

16K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  tldoney 
3300 Miles and 2 months.

Used as a commuter to work. 40 miles round trip 40 hours a week. 4 days of offroading on 3 different trails. Used 4wd and 4low lockers a good amount of times. Works really well and haven't had any major issues.

Minor issues I ran into has not effect the every day useability of the car.

- Transmission has been very good for me. There was one time when the car hesitated to down shift when I tried to pass another car on the freeway. It's only happened once. I figured, if it does it again, I'll just switch it to manual shifting and down shift myself. A software update should be coming soon to fix all of the transmission problems.

- Another small issue I have with my transmission is when I put it in park or when I switch between drive and reverse. The car rolls a little bit, about an inch before switching gears. Kind of the same way old cars roll a bit when putting the car in park because the gears are worn and there is a bit of play. The Jeep didn't do it for me until recently. But the Jeep rolls a bit more than all of the older cars I've driven and I didn't expect it from a brand new car so soon. I figured it's the software and electronically controlled transmission is to blame. When I switch from reverse to drive, the Jeep rolls back a bit before engaging into drive and moving forward.

* Both of those issues have not really effected my trust or usage of the car. I take it as this is how the car is and you have to be aware of it when driving it. Same as switching between cars and being aware of each one's unique personality.

- The last issue I just experienced happened a couple of days ago. After driving the Renegade to work for a week, it did something weird. When I was leaving from work and started the car it gave me a Service 4WD warning on the dash and said that the 4wd system will not work and the car will be only running in 2WD/FWD mode. After the warning cleared off the dash, the Service 4WD warning light stayed lit. I drove the car home like this and could not manually engage the 4WD and none of the other drive modes would work. The car also showed a lack of power. I'm not sure if it went into limp mode to protect the car or if it's because the car was only in 2WD and I wasn't feeling the same acceleration like in 4WD. When I got home I turned the car off and turned it back on. The Service 4WD went away. I test drove it around the neighborhood and tested all of the drive modes. Everything worked like is should and the power came back. The service light has not come back on since. After doing a bit of research, others have seen this light as well, and turning the car off and on seemed to have cleared the light. No one has reported the light coming back on after the first time. Other model Jeeps have had this issue too, with solutions ranging from transmission software updates, bad wiring, bad sensors, bad battery connection, or bad battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.