Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying Renegade Latitude and I wanted to know what the off-roading capabilities on the car are. I know they won't be as good as the TH, but I want to know to what extremes can I take the Latitude. My dealer didn't have any TH and I needed to replace my current car. I'm not looking to do extreme off-roading, but I wanted to know if I could take it on trails and be fine.
This is my first Jeep so I'm new to all this. Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
It ain't a car, it's a Jeep. A lot of people make that mistake. I assume that you are looking at a 4x4 Latitude? The Renegade 4x4 is quite capable off road, from what I have read. Are you keeping the stock set up or going for upgrades?

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you're looking at rouigh roads and the odd trail, you should be fine. Lots of videos out there of Renegades tackling stuff most of us wouldn't even try.

Others can correct me here, but the biggest advantage the TH has offroad is a front bumper with a better approach angle (at the expense of an air dam), lower differential gearing, and a "rock" setting on the 4WD system (that takes advantage of the lower differential gearing to allow a very low "crawl" gear, using 1st gear on the automatic transmission which is normally not used during regular driving). It also has a "hill descent" mode which controls the speed down a steep hill. These are features which are important to serious off-roaders, but from what you describe I doubt you'll miss them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Latitude, Limited, and Sport are basically restricted to dirt roads with a rock here and there. Reasons for this are no low range (not even the Trailhawk has low range), no recovery points, most importantly, no spare tire. You put a hole in the sidewall you are SOL. You also have to consider a Suburban is more capable offroad than a Trailhawk.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I don't think about "I only have a Latitude". I just think, "It's a Jeep, I'll be fine."

This isn't my first Jeep, but it is the first I've bought since the invention of the Trailhawk badge. I refuse to conform to some design teams' idea of what I can and cannot do in my Jeep. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Push it, take it to the limit, LittleRedJeep! It will talk back to you and also maybe show you its limits after looking at the exterior of your vehicle after traversing extreme topography. Hopefully, a trip to dealer service department will not be necessary.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Latitude, Limited, and Sport are basically restricted to dirt roads with a rock here and there. Reasons for this are no low range (not even the Trailhawk has low range), no recovery points, most importantly, no spare tire. You put a hole in the sidewall you are SOL. You also have to consider a Suburban is more capable offroad than a Trailhawk.
Yeahhhhhhhhh Rightttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hahahahahahahahahahha!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am in the process of buying Renegade Latitude and I wanted to know what the off-roading capabilities on the car are. I know they won't be as good as the TH, but I want to know to what extremes can I take the Latitude. My dealer didn't have any TH and I needed to replace my current car. I'm not looking to do extreme off-roading, but I wanted to know if I could take it on trails and be fine.
This is my first Jeep so I'm new to all this. Thanks everyone!
Get the Latitude and go for it! I did and haven't looked back......proving ALL the naysayers wrong time-and-time again! I'm a Jeep-Mom and this machine ROCKS!! No baby-drivin' in the "rain only" here and I drive it daily....EVERYWHERE with 28k trouble-free miles on the clock already!!! Pavement is for sissy's!!

See for yourself in pictures AND video!

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...ade-can-make-sand-dunes-win-trophies-lol.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
A Suburban has low range, larger tires, more ground clearance, and articulation. Plus it has an equivalent traction control system.
So does a Humvee and many other 4x4's, but that's NOT what the OP was looking to buy, so who's gives a s****t! The OP was asking about a RENEGADE they were interested in and wanted to know if it could handle trails and minor off-roading duties, which myself and many on this board have proven it CAN....easily!:)

Go for it OP, it's a quite-capable machine....and then some! ;)

Cheers Lads!
:x

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I want to take my FWD Longitude (UK/European equivalent of Latitude & North) off the black top and see what it can/can't do, as a comparison to a 4x4 Sport, Latitude and Limited. Mine is stock including the tyres.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.