Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size of light bar is best suited for the Renegade?

Size as in length, wattage, rows of LEds etc.

What about ease of fitting in laymans terms? Colour of wire to connect into?

I am not an electrician and really need this kept simple.

To make life easy for myself after reading on an almost daily basis regarding the light dispersal that an LED lightbar offers I am not at the stage of buying one. I see that most of the lightbars come with 2 threaded, adjustable screws yet have no mounting brackets. It looks like its simply a case of drill into your bumper and attack using a washer and nut.

I ordered a number plate, overhead bar attachment in the hope of merely drilling 2 holes in the bar so as not to damage the bumper and mount an adjustable headlight bar to that directly.

Some of the "bars" come with a seperate harness but is it really that simple of passing it through a bulkhead grommet or do I need to cut the harness, pull it through the bulkhead and then find a suitable place to mount it eg the A post plastic at the dash board?

How can a massive plug fit through the bulkhead? It cannot so IMHO something needs cut and reatatched unless of course the ends of the wire are bare and merely need a couple of spade connections to be fitted inside the driver compartment to a suitable switch.

Next issue:

Some of the bars come with spot lights and combined fog lights. I want to be able to turn on the bar with full beam and seperately as and when I need them.

UK Law says if if full beam comes on then fog lights go off. I dont want that.

I am a Renegade :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have the light bar and number plate bracket.

Should be starting tomorrow weather permitting.

Many people have shown the way of how to wire the lightbar but very few have shown how to bumper mount it.

My thinking was to use extended stainless steel bolts and 2 "penny" washers or "mud guard washers" and fit it directly between/across the 7 slots on the front grille.

If I use the number plate steel mount I fear that I will not be able to reach beneath and up, behind the bumper to connect the nut to the bolt and tighten them.

Failing that I may resort to removing the lower grille and trying to access the rear of the bumper via that access.

Does anyone know if the number plate on the front bumper passes into any structural steel? If so I can drill and tap a hole large enough to accept 4 bolts as opposed to screws.

Meanwhile I am still searching the forum.

PAVEL YOU ARE MY HERO (y)(y)(y):love::love::love: I found your post after a quick search. 2 Toggle bolts it shall be directly into the bumper (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course I will. Anything to see a lovely Jeep having a facelift.

Seems almost like my missus, always needing something else to make them attractive :love::love::love:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I tried uploading 9 pics and they duplicated.

However I am stuck and cannot find a way through the firewall as I have the UK version ie right hand drive and the tutorials are all on USA models. I have searched our forum, Jeep Toaster forum, You Tube and none show a UK model.

The pictures show the light bar mount being fitted with spring toggles to the bumper with penny washers to spread the load. That was simply a 15mm hole and push the spring toggles into the hole and tighten up the screw to lock them in place. That mount is solid.

Then I have tried to show the route of how I can pass the harness from the engine compartment up and over the fan (a 12mm gap at the top) then down behind the grille and fished out at the bottom.

That was the easy part as the the bumper had no metal support behind it where I drilled. Wasn't that lucky?

There is plenty of cable on the harness and it will easily fit onto the battery with the relay being fitted close to the fuse box and away from the scooshy bottle to prevent accidental flooding.

However I now hit a problem as I cannot find a way through the firewall bulkhead. I have a right hand drive Jeep and Ive had a look at where the main harness passes through. Item 9 shows what looks like a T-piece and thats the harness but it has everything fitted all around it and it looks like I need to strip everything out to do it. Closer inspection on the picture shows a clip? Am I seeing that correctly, perhaps that T-piece opens up?

In other words, I'm giving it to an auto electrician to finish. Once on the overhead ramp the chassis can get drilled, rust proofed, grommet fitted and cable passed through with its 20mm plug (cut the plug off and reconnect)

Quite literally all it needs is passed therough the firewall and the job will be complete in 15 mins. I did see a video of the harness being passed from behind the battery and out the side of what would be your drivers left side panel on the side of the dash at the door. I cannot find that hole unless its the one I have as picture 9

ps Picture 8 only looks as though the harness is linked up on the outside of the Jeep. It's only the camera angle. I have tried to show you it getting pulled through but the harness length is massive.

bar1.JPG
bar2.JPG
bar3.JPG
bar4.JPG
bar5.JPG
bar6.JPG
bar7.JPG
bar8.JPG
bar9.JPG

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now for the next installment.

The lightbar is successfully installed and working. The only pictures missing is the glove compartment removal but its on this forum and the original poster has it on YouTube.

Windscreen wipers were removed and then the internal plastic trim was removed from below the windscreen and was held in place with a couple of plastic push bolts. This revealed exactly where the main electrical harness was going and it made life so much easier as I could now see the massive grommet where the cable and plug from the lightbar harness was going to pass through.

Having removed the side plate on the dash board it was now obvious that the glove compartment had to be removed. It was only 6 torque screws.

A long thin fibreglass pole was inserted beneath the dash and I could see it pressing against the grommet. A little cut with a knife and the grommet was opened up. Cable was attached to the rod and pulled through into the passenger footwell. A couple of the gear console sides were removed and the cable passed along until it was just at the drivers footwell.

I took the switch and started at the top by wedging it under the left side of my dashboard screen and the dashboard itself. It was dropped down therough the side of the steering wheel where the adjuster is and then connected to the harness plug. Everything was secured and reassembled.

Now it was an easy job to fit the relay and install the Lightbar to the licence plate bracket. Solder the joints between the lightbar and the main light harness and wrap them up.

Finally connect to the battery and swith on the lights.

My only concern is that this light when turned on brings all the lamps on at once or I can use the second button and it flashes then in an almost SOS sequence which is useless unless broken down on a dark country single lane road.

Pictures are messed up. The working lightbar is right at the bottom.

All in all this was a simplified fit and was only possible by the assistance of some Forum members who took the time to document their fitting efforts. Many thanks to all you guys that made this possible.

FIT9.JPG
FIT8.JPG
FIT7.JPG
FIT6.JPG
FIT5.JPG
FIT2.JPG
FIT9.JPG
FIT8.JPG
FIT7.JPG
FIT6.JPG
FIT5.JPG
FIT2.JPG
FIT4.JPG
FIT3.JPG

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I tried my best to keep it simple as others may be interested in fitting one.

Now I can go onto the beach in pitch darkness safe in the knowledge that the whole area with all its gullies and soft sand will be brightly illuminated.

No more thoughts are needed about using LED light bulbs for the darkroad either.

If it's of any assistance to those that are thinking about fitting a Lightbar on the bumper it really was quite easy after my mate who works in a small garage assisted me with the proper tools. I had the knowledge from the forum and he had the experience to bring my task to a successful conclusion.

Please guys, do not think about putting your Jeep into a garage to do a fitting for you. A couple of hours is all it took for a 1st time fitting. I only wish I had seen some pictures beforehand and I wish someone had instructed me to remove the windscreen grille and the glove compartment. Once that was opened up the rest was really easy.

IMHO it is as professional a job as a garage will do. :whistle::whistle:

ps I tried it in darkness last night. It lit up the double driveway, both houses and all the way across the railway at the rear of the house. It is simply dazzling bright :love:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solving time. Lightbar should have 3 settings, Combo, Flood and Spot.

However the Lightbar has white strobe lighting and Combo only. White strobe lighting is powerful enough to play some 80s music and have an outdoor party. More to the point, why would anyone want white strobes on the front of their car.

It is not in the description given by the seller to Ebay that this has ONLY a combo light and Strobe. It clearly states and shows the 3 modes as described above.

What makes the lightbar flash ie Strobe mode?
Is it the interior on/off switch, the Relay or is the lightbar configured internally to strobe?

Can the lightbar and harness be modified? ie change the cabin swith to a single function illuminated light when the Combo setting is used (ie disconnection of the strobe light)

How do I know if the Relay is a flasher relay as opposed to a normal one?

Has anyone attempted to disconnect an internal LED connection within a lightbar and if so what did you do?

Thinking hats on guys. Seller offered a 30% reduction but I refused.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Click the red link below and it will give you Ebay with the different plates. I had to get mine sent from Belgium as there were no UK sites when I looked briefly a few weeks ago.

In here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts