Jeep Renegade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black limited 4x4 1.4 170bhp was delivered four weeks ago and I love it!

Like others I've read alot about issues with breaks, 9 speed transmission, electrical faults etc. But pleased to say haven't had any major problems. Couple of small things:

1. DAB radio keeps cutting out for a couple of seconds. Is this just a drop out of the signal in certain areas? I live in London so signal should be strong. Anyone else experienced?
2. Forward collision warning light comes on sometimes when car starts. I've found that turning the car on and off again usually sorts this. Anyone experiencing this?

Other than that all good. It's my first brand new car for years so I went a bit OTT and included the following options on the vehicle:

Panoramic sunroof
Parking pack (parallel and perp active park assist, blind spot/rear cross path detection and reverse cam)
Function pack (power outlet, height adjust cargo floor, folding and heated mirrors passive entry/keyless go although in UK the remote start and panic button isn't available no idea why?)
Visibility pack (xenon headlights, electrochromic mirror, rain sensing wipers, auto headlights and auto high beam)

The auto high beam headlights are amazing! Also lane sense is great. Never had auto headlights or wipers before so they are a revelation! Active park sense is very cool although everyone freaks out when the car takes over. Has anyone worked out how to exit parking spaces using active park sense? Manual says it parks and exits spaces but can't work out how to use it for exit-bear in mind I live in London so parking is a constant challenge.
The sunroof is well worth the extra cost too. And it's my first vehicle with heated seats, wow! And heated steering wheel, total luxury!

I was concerned that the interior may be a little cheap looking based on a couple of reviews (I viewed practically every YouTube video from around the world and read every review available) but it isn't at all, looks and feels really solid and smart. The high driving position is really great too after my Alfa 147 and in London it feels good to be higher up. I find the seats and position very comfortable (I know others haven't been very happy but no complaints from me or others that have driven my car). A couple of my mates questioned my choice of the renegade, thought it was a kids car, they said go for a Mercedes a class or Mazda but I liked the renegade purely because it's different to every other vehicle. It has a touch of retro, bit of style and an it's a bit rugged too. And class leading tech and safety? What's not to love. And my mates changed their opinion when they saw the car in the flesh, very impressed.

I really like, the 9speed auto too although I've seen lots about issues with it. My cars a 2016 second gen model so maybe they've dealt with the issues? The 1.4 engine is great, thought it may be underpowered but with the turbo I find it has plenty of poke. Although I'm getting ave 25 miles to the gallon which isn't great I expected 30. I suppose most of my driving is urban though. Can't wait to get out in to the countryside with it and try out the 4x4.

So overall extremely pleased with my renegade limited and would def recommend to anyone.

One last question, anyone know what type of plug you can use in the power outlet at the rear of the centre console?! Looks like a two pin, expected it to be a British three pin connection.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats and enjoy! Stateside, the 1.4 is exclusively matted to the manual transmission and the Latitude (I think Longitude for you mates across the Pond) is the highest trim you can get it in. So cool that you guys can get the 1.4 turbo in higher trims and even in an automatic! I spent a little bit of time on Jeep's UK website and was able to build a 4x4, Manual transmission, 2.0 Turbo Diesel. <3 Heck, I've seen you can even do that with the Cherokee! We have no 4cyl diesel options in any Jeep (only a 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 for Grand Cherokee) and the manuals don't exist at all on Cherokee.

Anywho, I'm rambling. I had a bit of chuckle when you said your Renegade sat up tall which helped you out in London. Unfortunately, Americans have been on the SUV kick ever since the mid-90's so my sightline is about what it is in a normal car in a normal country (war of attrition?), lol. And lastly, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you about the plug but perhaps we can work through it.

Does it look like the top two bits of this?

If so, it's an American socket with no ground.

If that's the case, I've found under-$5 converters that'll switch a US/non-Ground-to-UK/EU/AU converter here. If it's not the above type of socket, I'm sure a bit of Googling will yield the correct socket and you can procure a cheapo converter. I nonetheless find it weird that they wouldn't just give you your socket type for the country it's being sold in.

Cheers,
Rick

Finally, if you're the type of fellow that likes to keep an eye on wrecked Renegades to see what you can salvage, might you let a fellow know if one equipped with those beloved HID headlights become available? We don't get those as an option here at all, regardless of trim, and I want them bad!

·
Registered
580 Posts
2. Forward collision warning light comes on sometimes when car starts. I've found that turning the car on and off again usually sorts this. Anyone experiencing this?
If the light comes on only while the car is starting up, is probably the self-check of the bulb (warning lights with blow bulbs are very useless). That's why all idiot lights come on every time you start the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats and enjoy! Stateside, the 1.4 is exclusively matted to the manual transmission and the Latitude (I think Longitude for you mates across the Pond) is the highest trim you can get it in. So cool that you guys can get the 1.4 turbo in higher trims and even in an automatic! I spent a little bit of time on Jeep's UK website and was able to build a 4x4, Manual transmission, 2.0 Turbo Diesel. <3 Heck, I've seen you can even do that with the Cherokee! We have no 4cyl diesel options in any Jeep (only a 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 for Grand Cherokee) and the manuals don't exist at all on Cherokee.

Anywho, I'm rambling. I had a bit of chuckle when you said your Renegade sat up tall which helped you out in London. Unfortunately, Americans have been on the SUV kick ever since the mid-90's so my sightline is about what it is in a normal car in a normal country (war of attrition?), lol. And lastly, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you about the plug but perhaps we can work through it.

Does it look like the top two bits of this?

If so, it's an American socket with no ground.

If that's the case, I've found under-$5 converters that'll switch a US/non-Ground-to-UK/EU/AU converter here. If it's not the above type of socket, I'm sure a bit of Googling will yield the correct socket and you can procure a cheapo converter. I nonetheless find it weird that they wouldn't just give you your socket type for the country it's being sold in.

Cheers,
Rick

Finally, if you're the type of fellow that likes to keep an eye on wrecked Renegades to see what you can salvage, might you let a fellow know if one equipped with those beloved HID headlights become available? We don't get those as an option here at all, regardless of trim, and I want them bad!
Thanks Rick!
It's weird the variants across markets. We don't get remote start, headlights or panic button on the key fobs here, no idea why. Would love remote start! I hear you guys in US don't have the panoramic sunroof option? Also we don't get the fold down middle rear seat with cup holders or the integrated flash light (or torch as we call it). I've also seen renegades in other markets with gear paddles on the steering column on YouTube, not an option here.

Anyway yes from memory the plug does look like the US socket you posted. Why the **** wouldn't they fit sockets to match the plugs sold in that market? Am I really going to keep using an adapter in the car? Although I will check the link you sent many thanks. Long journey coming up so may be worth it.

And will certainly let you know about the HID headlights, assume these are what we call bi xenon?!

Cheers
LL

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the light comes on only while the car is starting up, is probably the self-check of the bulb (warning lights with blow bulbs are very useless). That's why all idiot lights come on every time you start the car.
Unfortunately the warning light comes on and stays on, only seems to go off if I stop and restart the vehicle. Also just today I've noticed a rattling on drivers side (RHD here) that sounds as though it could be the drivers door or window shaking. Annoying because it doesn't feel as solid which is a bugbear of mine!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks Rick!
It's weird the variants across markets. We don't get remote start, headlights or panic button on the key fobs here, no idea why. Would love remote start! I hear you guys in US don't have the panoramic sunroof option? Also we don't get the fold down middle rear seat with cup holders or the integrated flash light (or torch as we call it). I've also seen renegades in other markets with gear paddles on the steering column on YouTube, not an option here.

Anyway yes from memory the plug does look like the US socket you posted. Why the **** wouldn't they fit sockets to match the plugs sold in that market? Am I really going to keep using an adapter in the car? Although I will check the link you sent many thanks. Long journey coming up so may be worth it.

And will certainly let you know about the HID headlights, assume these are what we call bi xenon?!

Cheers
LL
We've remote start and a panic button on keyfob but I'm not sure what you mean by headlights on the key fob. For roof options, we've a ~$1k option which has two, manually removable, non-see through plastic panels and a ~$1500 option that makes the one over the driver electronically retract like a normal sunroof (but retains the ability to be completely removed and stowed). I'd prefer a full glass panoramic with moonroof like you folks get. That tri-fold down seat with rear cup holders I think is only for Limited models but I could be wrong there.

Yea the adapter thing is extremely weird, especially because they're bloody built in Europe (and Brazil and China). But I'm sure yours, like ours, are the ones built in Melfi, Italy. And yea, HIDs is an acronym for high intensity discharge; a catchall term for any high output light whether it be xenon gas, light emitting diodes, or now if you're Audi or BMW, laser headlights.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The plug in the power outlet behind the center console is the standard Southern European type.
I live in Greece so it suits me perfect.

What you need, is to buy an adaptor like that:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The plug in the power outlet behind the center console is the standard Southern European type.
I live in Greece so it suits me perfect.

What you need, is to buy an adaptor like that:

So I tried the adapter and it doesn't fit! The shape around the pin holes in the outlet doesn't allow the adapter to get near enough for the pins to go in to the holes!
Ridiculous.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So I tried the adapter and it doesn't fit! The shape around the pin holes in the outlet doesn't allow the adapter to get near enough for the pins to go in to the holes!
Ridiculous.
I know from trip to Thailand, all 2 pins are not the same. Could be USA, Europe or Asia.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will try to get a pic from my center console outlet to see if it is any different from yours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spoke to a dealer they told me to go to the shop and buy an adapter, apparently other customers have done this. I've looked all over the web and could only find this, it isn't the same shape, see outlet pic below. This is crazy how can Jeep get it so wrong?! Anyway I've tried it and it sort of fits but wont push all the way in as the shapes around the pins don't match. I'll try connecting something to see whether I'm getting power through it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Hmm. Strange shape for a plug/adapter? Looks like someone in the design department got over active with their rule. If the outlet had round ends, would the adapter be easier fit?

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Can the dealer source a console that the adapter will fit, at their expense, as it is a Jeep error not yours? Has to be easiest way round it, no pun intended.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.