Jeep Renegade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a YouTube video of someone in Germany with a 2020 or 2021 2.0 diesel Renegade, on the A9 Autobahn toward Nürnberg, going over 200 km/h. That's about 125 MPH.

New Jeep Renegade 2021 Limited Acceleration Top Speed Autobahn POV Test Drive - YouTube

Guy claims it was extremely stable.

I... Well, as much as I like my new Trailhawk, I'm not sure I'd take a short-wheelbase brick like a Renegade that fast, even on the Autobahn... (Yes, I've lived in Germany for a total of 10 years, and I know the Autobahn...)

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
I've had mine up to 180kph (GPS) it's pretty stable and the 2.0 MJet has plenty of low-end torque.
It is very much a capable Italian engine.

However it's nowhere near as nice or planted a GT as the LR Evoque with "Active Dynamics" (Magnaride).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had mine up to 180kph
OK, I'm impressed. But, um, weren't you in France? Different flag showing now. And isn't the speed limit on the Autoroute 130 km/h? :)

It is very much a capable Italian engine.
Are you sure? These various engines are built all over the world -- my 1.3T is made in Poland, I suspect at the Fiat plant there. But, yeah, I'm sure Italian design...

And it's not so much the engine -- it's the aerodynamics, wheelbase, and all the stuff that makes this a decent off-road vehicle. I definitely notice it doesn't hug the road like even a VW.

Of course, my Trailhawk is a bit higher. And European suspension may be different, too.

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
The engines are designed/developed by FPT. (Fiat Powertrain Tech) Who have produced some truly great engines and engine tech over the years.
All the common rail DERV stuff in cars came from Fiat originally.)

Speeding is very much frowned upon in France, yes. So don't do it kids. Nor in Spain. Nor Italy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, weird. You were showing a U.S. flag in your profile an hour ago. Now it's back to France. I thought the Concorde was retired...? ;)

Though I must say, 130 km/h on the uncrowded Autoroute is very...relaxing...

·
Super Moderator
1,714 Posts
Oops sorry. VPN. I likes my US and/or UK Netflix/Amazon Prime Video.

20 years ago you could cruise at 160kph with little intervention from the local constabulary.

Now there are cameras, moving undercover cars and the like.
Locally there are Autoroute stretches that are now only 90kph.

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
I think he would like you to send him a flag....
Thanks for posting the video.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
100mph on the UK motorway and it still has some oomph left in the engine.

I know, I know, the limit is 70mph but I just couldn't resist a wee blast of the engine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
100mph on the UK motorway and it still has some oomph left in the engine.

I know, I know, the limit is 70mph but I just couldn't resist a wee blast of the engine.
Good to hear that. Going camping last week we were driving some narrow twisty county roads in the mountains. I definitely had to watch my speed because of how high the Renegade felt, and how loaded it was. This was a straight section of one of the roads:

Hey, what's up again with your units of measure? You have road speeds posted in MPH...?

·
Registered
315 Posts
That's pretty crazy! Renaldo finds himself liking the fast lane but I don't think we've broken 100 yet...That's the beauty of the Ren it is so versatile! I know what you mean about the curves when you are loaded especially on top. I went through an old coastal route called "lost coast scenic route" I had borrowed my son's Thule cargo storage container for the trip. It began sliding back and forth on the curves😮 Even though my son assured me it was locked on and would not come off... I will be much happier when my custom rack comes in. I will try to post a pic of the crazy hairpin curves. To add to the drama the gas was getting low😯Our navigation quit working too because we were in the middle of "no where" Near the end I went over a one way old bridge to make it even more exciting!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
@Marek, I always convert centigrade to fahrenheit and I still measure in inches but can easily adapt to mm's. I prefer gallons to litres but prefer miles to kilometres. Lbs is easier than kilogram.

I'm just a sad old soul that can work imperial and metric. I was taught in metric but used imperial in shipbuilding. Imperial is easy but metric just has so many 0000's in it ie 10mm, 100mm 1000mm =1m etc.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Strange lot, you Brits. (I know, so are we Yanks.)

Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember speed limit signs in the UK strangely being in MPH. Which can be extremely confusing to someone (like me) who was living in Continental Europe at the time. This...

..means 50 km/h; while this, in contrast...

...means 50 MPH? ;)

Especially to someone who maybe doesn't realize that you guys still use miles...?

I'm a bit the same way... In the U.S. military we, of course, use metric to measure ground distance or range... Like that enemy tank is at a range of one-eight-hundred meters (1,800 m). Or, of course, "klicks" as a slang for kilometers. So I can visualize (long) distances in either miles or kilometers. Or car speeds, to a lesser degree, having lived in Europe so long.

But short distances? It's gotta be feet. For scuba diving, I can immediately visualize what a depth of 30 ft means. Not so much 18 meters...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts