Jeep Renegade Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Strange lot, you Brits. (I know, so are we Yanks.)

Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember speed limit signs in the UK strangely being in MPH. Which can be extremely confusing to someone (like me) who was living in Continental Europe at the time. This...

View attachment 2396351295

..means 50 km/h; while this, in contrast...

View attachment 2396351296

...means 50 MPH? ;)

Especially to someone who maybe doesn't realize that you guys still use miles...?

I'm a bit the same way... In the U.S. military we, of course, use metric to measure ground distance or range... Like that enemy tank is at a range of one-eight-hundred meters (1,800 m). Or, of course, "klicks" as a slang for kilometers. So I can visualize (long) distances in either miles or kilometers. Or car speeds, to a lesser degree, having lived in Europe so long.

But short distances? It's gotta be feet. For scuba diving, I can immediately visualize what a depth of 30 ft means. Not so much 18 meters...
Oh where to start. Often on the motorway I will find a vehicle in front of me toddling along the motorway around 44mph on a 70mph motorway and wonder why? Then I think again, 44mph equates to roughly 70kmph. It would appear that some foreign travellers have not converted from KMP to MPH hence the difference when they see a "70" speed sign.

I prefer the ready concept of 1 1/2 x KPH = speed in MPH ie 44 x 1.5 = 63. If anyone uses that quick calculation they should roughly be in line with UK speed limits.

Again as an example 30mph x 1.5 = 45kmph.

Drat cat on KB and Im just back from the caravan, gotta go quick.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Often on the motorway I will find a vehicle in front of me toddling along the motorway around 44mph on a 70mph motorway and wonder why?
Ha! Durn' foreigners, I assume?

Over here, the signs don't specify MPH, but there's no European who'd subconsciously assume this was km/h...

Speaking of MPH and km/h... I assume the Renegade's speedometer can be set to indicate either, through the instrument panel menus? The pointer would just point to the correct figure?

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Yeah Marek, Its on the left of my steering wheel on the wee arrow buttons. Clicking the arrows takes you to the speed settings and its a simple click to change to kmph.

·
Super Moderator
1,712 Posts
The digital part can be swapped between km/h mph. But the dials can't. Although UK ones are normally dual marked with both.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
The digital part can be swapped between km/h mph. But the dials can't.
Are you sure? Because the little notice that our Renegade's dial speedometer is in MPH is a light, not a permanent label. And with everything else electronic on this vehicle, it would be a trivial matter to just set the speedometer so that when the indicator is showing, say, 50, that means 50 km/h rather than 50 MPH. And the indicator light would show that.

I'll have to play around with it...

Although UK ones are normally dual marked with both.
Yeah, that reflects the Brits' metric indecisiveness I've been kidding with my dear friend puddlesplasher about.

You know we in the U.S. were intending to switch to metric back in the 1970s (ha!). That's when our speedometers started showing both MPH, with (generally much smaller) km/h markings. Made it real handy for those of us in or with the military who were stationed in Europe with our U.S.-spec cars. But, man, those km/h markings sure are indistinct on our 2009 Mk5 VWs.

This Renegade is the first vehicle I've had since the 1970s that doesn't have double markings on the speedometer. I just assumed that's because it could be software-set...

* edit * You're right. I just went to the garage and tried it. while the center dashboard mini-display can be easily toggled between MPH and km/h, the speedometer dial itself stays labeled as "MPH."

Oh God... What'll we do when we decide to go metric again...?

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Do what I used to have to do: ÷5 then ×8 ;)
See how easy it is! Nevs mind works like mine :p

Marek, I have large digital numbers in front of me as it's easier to see my speed that way. A click of the arrow changes Mph to Kph.

The dial has both Mph on the outside and the inner is Kph. It's made for us Brits that don't have a clue what to use :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I must admit that I so prefer the massive digital display. With my Bifocal specs the number looks around 2" BIG :p:LOL:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts