Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My Girlfriend has a really old 4Runner V8 that drinks a waay to much gas, we can't use it for nothing, and she really want's to get rid of it and change for something really efficient that she can use without the headache of stopping at the Gas station to refill a huge empty tank.

A couple of months ago we went to Italy, where someone we know had just Purchased a:

Jeep Renedade Trailhawk Diesel 2.0 Multijet 170hp

SIMPLY AN AMAZING COMBINATION

the FIAT Multijet Diesel has a really long power band revs up above 4000rpm and is still pushing hard, my Girldfriend didn't realize we were driving a Diesel until we got to the Gas station...

It did for us an average of 43mpg in all our Trips during our Italy vacation.

WE CAME BACK TO THE US AND FOUND THE RENEGADE WON'T BE OFFERED WITH DIESEL IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

So we started looking at other Cars and Specs, she needs either an Automatic or a CVT and it must be an AWD or 4WD as we want to have a Snow capable Car, but Fuel Efficiency is the Key, and here is what we found:

--- --- ---

NISSAN Juke
1.6 Liter TURBO 188hp @ 6000rpm 210Nm Torque {Best Performance}
MPG = 27 & 34

~~~

HONDA HR-V
1.5 Liter 130hp @ 6200rpm 138Nm Torque
MPG = 31 & 39 {Best Gas Mileage}

~~~

MAZDA CX-3
2.0 Liter 163Hp @ 6000rpm 210Nm Torque
MPG = 26 & 35 (estimated off of CX-5 FWD)

~~~

CHEVY Trax
1.4 Liter TURBO 138Hp @ 4900rpm 200Nm {Worst Performance}
MPG = 24 & 32 {Worst Gas Mileage}

--- --- ---

JEEP Renegade
2.4 Liter 184Hp @ 6400rpm 240Nm Torque
MPG = 22 & 31 (estimated off of Cherokee FWD)

=== === === === ===

We really like the RENEGADE looks, both exterior and interior... if we had to buy one of the Cars in the list purely for it's looks, the RENEGADE would be the 1st choice!

But reality is that in this Class FUEL EFFICIENCY IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS, and the Renegade lacks badly in Fuel efficiency... even if you look at the Gas Mileage of the Dodge Dart 2.4, it would still lose in Fuel Efficiency against the AWD SUVs in the List up here...
(unless you get the 1.4 Liter Manual... why don't they sell the 1.4L in Automatic as well?)

This makes me think the Renegade will not be able to win this battle against the Competition by it's Japanese competitors here in US because the only Fuel Efficient version is Manual Only, which in the US is a very restricted part of the Market... i personally would get it Manual, but my Girlfriend sure not!

BUT THERE IS A WAY THAT JEEP COULD OUTBEAT EVERYBODY

IF JEEP STARTS SELLING THE RENEGADE WITH THE FIAT DIESEL MULTIJET THEY WOULD WIN BIG

in Europe as well as South America, the RENEGADE is offered with several different FIAT Diesels options.

FIAT is right now the world leader of High Efficiency Diesel Motors thank's to it's MULTIJET Technology, and in fact, numbers speak well:

- The JEEP RENEGADE Diesel 1.6 MultiJet 120Hp 320Nm Torque does 57 MPG

- The JEEP RENEGADE Diesel 2.0 MultiJet 170Hp 350Nm Torque does 45 MPG

(NOTE: i checked and the Diesel MultiJet meets and exceeds all the US Emissions limitations, European Emission Limits are much more tough than the American ones, so it is not an EPA problem, is purely marketing)

These are specs that would annihilate the competition, but FCA needs to act fast.

With the current Mileage offered by the 2.4 Liter Renegade, my Girlfriend WILL NOT PURCHASE the Renegade... it simply doesn't meet the purpose

... with the Gas Mileage the 2.4liter Tigershark gets on the Renegade, we could buy a much bigger Car than the Renegade, even the Mazda CX-5 AWD has better MPG than the Renegade's 2.4 Liter Tigershark

but... WHY SUCH A BIG MOTOR ON SUCH A SMALL OFF ROAD CAR??? it would have made more sense to put one of FIAT's 1.8Liter or even 2.0Liter TURBO MultiAir Motors and get the same performance of the 2.4 Tigershark but with much better Mileage... buying a Small Car that does a bad mileage simply doesn't make sense!

The requirements we have are simple:

A Small AWD/4WD SUV that does at least 25mpg City and 35Mpg Highway

We need a High Efficiency car that allows us to take a Trip without having to worry about the Gas we spend, but it also has to assure it is capable of handling well on Snow and do a bit of minor Off Road.

The RENEGADE for me and my GF is the most beautiful of all the Small SUV in the market and it meets all our needs, and even exceeds them in Off Road capabilities (if we get the Renegade we already planned to go do some bit harder off road trips), the Renegade is also roomier than all the other Japan Competitors, which is surely a great thing we would enjoy a lot, but reality is that for a better Gas Mileage, if we need, we can squeeze in a little bit and live with it.

Off course, if there is a way to get the RENEGADE DIESEL, even if it means Special Order it, we would be willing to pay to import it, provided it does not brake the Bank.

moral of the story:
I DOUBT THE RENEGADE WILL SELL GOOD IN US UNLESS FIAT & CHRYSLER DECIDE TO IMPORT THE DIESEL MODELS THEY ALREADY PRODUCE

which absurdly they sell everywhere else in the world, so why skip the Mother Country of Jeep with such a great Motor option???

I still hope for the best, but i doubt that by next year i will have a JEEP Renegade in our Parking Spot

So far, the most promising purchases would be either the Nissan Juke or the Mazda CX-3, but we don't plan to buy anything until mid of next year, hopefully by then JEEP & FIAT will have decided to start selling the RENEGADE DIESEL also here in the US, in which case, i already know what will be parked outside our house!

CIAO

P.S.: i didn't mention the FIAT 500X because it would be a fotocopy of the Engines of the Renegade, and we really don't like at all the look of the 500X

·
Registered
304 Posts
You could always dump the girlfriend and get the car that you want. >:D

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hello,
My Girlfriend has a really old 4Runner V8 that drinks a waay to much gas, we can't use it for nothing, and she really want's to get rid of it and change for something really efficient that she can use without the headache of stopping at the Gas station to refill a huge empty tank.

A couple of months ago we went to Italy, where someone we know had just Purchased a:

Jeep Renedade Trailhawk Diesel 2.0 Multijet 170hp

SIMPLY AN AMAZING COMBINATION

the FIAT Multijet Diesel has a really long power band revs up above 4000rpm and is still pushing hard, my Girldfriend didn't realize we were driving a Diesel until we got to the Gas station...

It did for us an average of 43mpg in all our Trips during our Italy vacation.

WE CAME BACK TO THE US AND FOUND THE RENEGADE WON'T BE OFFERED WITH DIESEL IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

So we started looking at other Cars and Specs, she needs either an Automatic or a CVT and it must be an AWD or 4WD as we want to have a Snow capable Car, but Fuel Efficiency is the Key, and here is what we found:

--- --- ---

NISSAN Juke
1.6 Liter TURBO 188hp @ 6000rpm 210Nm Torque {Best Performance}
MPG = 27 & 34

~~~

HONDA HR-V
1.5 Liter 130hp @ 6200rpm 138Nm Torque
MPG = 31 & 39 {Best Gas Mileage}

~~~

MAZDA CX-3
2.0 Liter 163Hp @ 6000rpm 210Nm Torque
MPG = 26 & 35 (estimated off of CX-5 FWD)

~~~

CHEVY Trax
1.4 Liter TURBO 138Hp @ 4900rpm 200Nm {Worst Performance}
MPG = 24 & 32 {Worst Gas Mileage}

--- --- ---

JEEP Renegade
2.4 Liter 184Hp @ 6400rpm 240Nm Torque
MPG = 22 & 31 (estimated off of Cherokee FWD)

=== === === === ===

We really like the RENEGADE looks, both exterior and interior... if we had to buy one of the Cars in the list purely for it's looks, the RENEGADE would be the 1st choice!

But reality is that in this Class FUEL EFFICIENCY IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS, and the Renegade lacks badly in Fuel efficiency... even if you look at the Gas Mileage of the Dodge Dart 2.4, it would still lose in Fuel Efficiency against the AWD SUVs in the List up here...
(unless you get the 1.4 Liter Manual... why don't they sell the 1.4L in Automatic as well?)

This makes me think the Renegade will not be able to win this battle against the Competition by it's Japanese competitors here in US because the only Fuel Efficient version is Manual Only, which in the US is a very restricted part of the Market... i personally would get it Manual, but my Girlfriend sure not!

BUT THERE IS A WAY THAT JEEP COULD OUTBEAT EVERYBODY

IF JEEP STARTS SELLING THE RENEGADE WITH THE FIAT DIESEL MULTIJET THEY WOULD WIN BIG

in Europe as well as South America, the RENEGADE is offered with several different FIAT Diesels options.

FIAT is right now the world leader of High Efficiency Diesel Motors thank's to it's MULTIJET Technology, and in fact, numbers speak well:

- The JEEP RENEGADE Diesel 1.6 MultiJet 120Hp 320Nm Torque does 57 MPG

- The JEEP RENEGADE Diesel 2.0 MultiJet 170Hp 350Nm Torque does 45 MPG

(NOTE: i checked and the Diesel MultiJet meets and exceeds all the US Emissions limitations, European Emission Limits are much more tough than the American ones, so it is not an EPA problem, is purely marketing)

These are specs that would annihilate the competition, but FCA needs to act fast.

With the current Mileage offered by the 2.4 Liter Renegade, my Girlfriend WILL NOT PURCHASE the Renegade... it simply doesn't meet the purpose

... with the Gas Mileage the 2.4liter Tigershark gets on the Renegade, we could buy a much bigger Car than the Renegade, even the Mazda CX-5 AWD has better MPG than the Renegade's 2.4 Liter Tigershark

but... WHY SUCH A BIG MOTOR ON SUCH A SMALL OFF ROAD CAR??? it would have made more sense to put one of FIAT's 1.8Liter or even 2.0Liter TURBO MultiAir Motors and get the same performance of the 2.4 Tigershark but with much better Mileage... buying a Small Car that does a bad mileage simply doesn't make sense!

The requirements we have are simple:

A Small AWD/4WD SUV that does at least 25mpg City and 35Mpg Highway

We need a High Efficiency car that allows us to take a Trip without having to worry about the Gas we spend, but it also has to assure it is capable of handling well on Snow and do a bit of minor Off Road.

The RENEGADE for me and my GF is the most beautiful of all the Small SUV in the market and it meets all our needs, and even exceeds them in Off Road capabilities (if we get the Renegade we already planned to go do some bit harder off road trips), the Renegade is also roomier than all the other Japan Competitors, which is surely a great thing we would enjoy a lot, but reality is that for a better Gas Mileage, if we need, we can squeeze in a little bit and live with it.

Off course, if there is a way to get the RENEGADE DIESEL, even if it means Special Order it, we would be willing to pay to import it, provided it does not brake the Bank.

moral of the story:
I DOUBT THE RENEGADE WILL SELL GOOD IN US UNLESS FIAT & CHRYSLER DECIDE TO IMPORT THE DIESEL MODELS THEY ALREADY PRODUCE

which absurdly they sell everywhere else in the world, so why skip the Mother Country of Jeep with such a great Motor option???

I still hope for the best, but i doubt that by next year i will have a JEEP Renegade in our Parking Spot

So far, the most promising purchases would be either the Nissan Juke or the Mazda CX-3, but we don't plan to buy anything until mid of next year, hopefully by then JEEP & FIAT will have decided to start selling the RENEGADE DIESEL also here in the US, in which case, i already know what will be parked outside our house!

CIAO

P.S.: i didn't mention the FIAT 500X because it would be a fotocopy of the Engines of the Renegade, and we really don't like at all the look of the 500X
IMO kind of stupid to pass judgement and reject a vehicle when fuel figures haven't been released yet. I know for a fact that when not off roading that the rear axle becomes disconnected to save on fuel and according to articles, it is expected to get 30+ miles per gallon. Thats pretty good considering the Renegade is as aerodynamic as a brick.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Also, jeep accounted for 25% of the increase in car sales. I don't think they are in great peril of being wiped out in a segment by a couple mpg. Which isn't even verified btw. C

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO kind of stupid to pass judgement and reject a vehicle when fuel figures haven't been released yet. I know for a fact that when not off roading that the rear axle becomes disconnected to save on fuel and according to articles, it is expected to get 30+ miles per gallon. Thats pretty good considering the Renegade is as aerodynamic as a brick.
YES, i am aware of the Rear Axle Disconnect when on AUTO AWD Mode, but the weight involved to carry around is still there.

Anyway, i thought i would do an estimate considering the following:

The Jeep Cherokee is a bit heavier than a Renegade, so if i consider the FWD instead of the AWD, it should be pretty close to what the Renegade will get:

Cherokee FWD 2.4L = city 22 & highway 31

Now, as you said yourself the Renegade is as Aerodynamic as a cynder block, so for sure it wont beat the Gas mileage of the Dodge Dart with the same Motor:

Dart 2.4L = city 25 & highway 34

At this point we have a good parameter range for the Renegade

City = 22 to 25

Highway = 31 to 34

Even assuming the best case scenario, which would be rather optimistic, it's still not a great Fuel Economy compared to the competition.

MY FINAL GUESS:

The Renegade will get:

24mpg city
&
32mpg highway

I would be willing to vet a beer on this, but again: that doesn't change the fact it gets a pretty bad mileage for this category and as far as us buying it, i don't see it happening wereas the Renegade 2.0Liter Diesel with 170Hp Multijet we were already set to buy it as soon as we came back from Italy... Quite a buzz kill finding out it is not sold in US

CIAO

·
Registered
92 Posts
YES, i am aware of the Rear Axle Disconnect when on AUTO AWD Mode, but the weight involved to carry around is still there.

The Jeep Cherokee is a bit heavier than a Renegade, so if i consider the FWD instead of the AWD, it should be pretty close to what the Renegade will get:

Now, as you said yourself the Renegade is as Aerodynamic as a cynder block, so for sure it wont beat the Gas mileage of the Dodge Dart with the same Motor:

City = 22 to 25

Highway = 31 to 34

Even assuming the best case scenario, which would be rather optimistic, it's still not a great Fuel Economy compared to the competition.

MY FINAL GUESS:

The Renegade will get:

24mpg city
&
32mpg highway

I would be willing to vet a beer on this, but again: that doesn't change the fact it gets a pretty bad mileage for this category and as far as us buying it, i don't see it happening wereas the Renegade 2.0Liter Diesel with 170Hp Multijet we were already set to buy it as soon as we came back from Italy... Quite a buzz kill finding out it is not sold in US

CIAO

...and fuel in Europe is $8/gallon while the USA is only paying roughly $2.50 now. Who cares whether the end result is a few miles per gallon more or less?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Also, jeep accounted for 25% of the increase in car sales. I don't think they are in great peril of being wiped out in a segment by a couple mpg. Which isn't even verified btw. C
Interesting points in this thread, but Raz is correct. The alarmist title of this thread sounds like another death of Jeep post, like the naysayers who said the Cherokee would be the death of Jeep, yet it is selling very well.

We never get all we want in a purchase, unfortunately since most of use do not have a few spare billion lying around to produce our perfectly perceived car, we have to choose from what is publicly offered, sort of like choosing a politician.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...and fuel in Europe is $8/gallon while the USA is only paying roughly $2.50 now. Who cares whether the end result is a few miles per gallon more or less?
I DO!

I sure do: years ago i got "burned" really bad by thinking the way you just said.

In 2005 I bought a Car that could do 23mpg Highway (which in reality it did 20 when i was on perfect Cruise Control), but i didn't Care because Gas was $2,20 per Gallon... About 3 months later Hurricane Katrina arrived and did it's damage, which included destroying an Oil Platform.

DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED THAT DAY?

Because i do: i filled up the Car in the Morning with $20 and in the evening i refilled with $35.

Since then i saw gas going back down to about $2,50 twice but it just about leveled at $3,30, but then in 2008 Hurricane Ike took care of some other Oil Plattforms and the Gas Spiked over $4 per Gallon and i was forced to sell my Car that had only 70k miles (a Mazda RX-8 with MazdaSpeed kit... Loved it)

I promised myself to never make that same mistake... I buy a Car with the idea to keep it several years and i consider the Gas Price ready to spike up $1 a Gallon even today, and i don't want to find myself again selling a Car on which i spent more money in Fuel than the Car itself in just 3 years of ownership.

Nope, never again... I need 35mpg Highway minimum... OK, i could live with 34 maybe even 33, but it better do more than 25 city to justify a such low Highway mileage

CIAO

·
Registered
602 Posts

City = 22 to 25

Highway = 31 to 34

MY FINAL GUESS:

The Renegade will get:

24mpg city
&
32mpg highway

CIAO
I DO!

I sure do: years ago i got "burned" really bad by thinking the way you just said.

In 2005 I bought a Car that could do 23mpg Highway (which in reality it did 20 when i was on perfect Cruise Control), but i didn't Care because Gas was $2,20 per Gallon... About 3 months later Hurricane Katrina arrived and did it's damage, which included destroying an Oil Platform.

DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED THAT DAY?

Because i do: i filled up the Car in the Morning with $20 and in the evening i refilled with $35.

Since then i saw gas going back down to about $2,50 twice but it just about leveled at $3,30, but then in 2008 Hurricane Ike took care of some other Oil Plattforms and the Gas Spiked over $4 per Gallon and i was forced to sell my Car that had only 70k miles (a Mazda RX-8 with MazdaSpeed kit... Loved it)

I promised myself to never make that same mistake... I buy a Car with the idea to keep it several years and i consider the Gas Price ready to spike up $1 a Gallon even today, and i don't want to find myself again selling a Car on which i spent more money in Fuel than the Car itself in just 3 years of ownership.

Nope, never again... I need 35mpg Highway minimum... OK, i could live with 34 maybe even 33, but it better do more than 25 city to justify a such low Highway mileage

CIAO
The Renegade is lighter than the Cherokee and has a nine speed transmission that the Dart doesn't. So, your numbers that you came up with you can't go by. If you want to go by sticker numbers, they are all inflated. They are not based on real world driving. Plus when you add in peoples driving habits, terrain, and even weather you have a margin of error that puts the Renegade with in a few if not the same MPGs as it competition. If you are splitting hairs over just a couple MPGs between the competition and you want the best MPG possible then you shouldn't get a small crossover at all and go with a Prius C or Mitsubishi Mirage or something like that.

Seriously the few MPG difference is ridiculous that you are so wound up about. I will give an example; I have an 80 mile commute everyday. Before my Abarth I had a Honda CR-Z. Both have a 10.5 gallon tank and the CR-Z had better fuel mileage. Regardless, I had to fill up every third day on both anyway. Yes the Abarth was a little more "empty" but the price at the pump was a difference of less than $10. The trade off was I have more fun driving to work in the Abarth than the CR-Z. Same thing with the Renegade. It might consume more fuel but it will be negligible as far as money and the trade off is something you can't do with any other of the competition is go off roading.

So if your budget is so tight that you can't afford or so freaked out over the cost of fuel to make you disregard it over MAYBE a $5- $12 max difference in cost of fuel per fill up then you need to consider something else all together other than a SUV.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I had a 4x4 Nissan Xterra when Katrina hit and I did 90 miles a day commute. I went from happy go lucky to Ramen Noodles for dinner to pay the rent. Now I ride a commuter van to work and only put 100 miles a week on my car instead of 1000.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
Let's do some math.

Kia soul (comparing the 2011 my wife owns) has a cd of .38. Renegade had .36. The 1.4 has a curb weight of 3183 for 4x4. Renegade has 7 more hp, but 4 more overdrive gears. (You want fuel efficiency, I don't know why you look at the 2.4).

That soul does 30mpg highway. The renegade should do at least the same.

Let's say, based on your numbers complaining, you drive 25k a year.

The difference between 35 and 30 at $4 a gallon is $480 a year. Between 32 and 34 is $208. If your world is turned upside down financially over $200 a year, you should be looking at small slippery fwd vehicles, not mini SUVs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
let's do some math.

Kia soul (comparing the 2011 my wife owns) has a cd of .38. Renegade had .36. The 1.4 has a curb weight of 3183 for 4x4. Renegade has 7 more hp, but 4 more overdrive gears. (you want fuel efficiency, i don't know why you look at the 2.4).

The difference between 35 and 30 at $4 a gallon is $480 a year. Between 32 and 34 is $208. If your world is turned upside down financially over $200 a year, you should be looking at small slippery fwd vehicles, not mini suvs.
bingo!!!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
The Renegade is lighter than the Cherokee and has a nine speed transmission that the Dart doesn't. So, your numbers that you came up with you can't go by. If you want to go by sticker numbers, they are all inflated. They are not based on real world driving. Plus when you add in peoples driving habits, terrain, and even weather you have a margin of error that puts the Renegade with in a few if not the same MPGs as it competition. If you are splitting hairs over just a couple MPGs between the competition and you want the best MPG possible then you shouldn't get a small crossover at all and go with a Prius C or Mitsubishi Mirage or something like that.

Seriously the few MPG difference is ridiculous that you are so wound up about. I will give an example; I have an 80 mile commute everyday. Before my Abarth I had a Honda CR-Z. Both have a 10.5 gallon tank and the CR-Z had better fuel mileage. Regardless, I had to fill up every third day on both anyway. Yes the Abarth was a little more "empty" but the price at the pump was a difference of less than $10. The trade off was I have more fun driving to work in the Abarth than the CR-Z. Same thing with the Renegade. It might consume more fuel but it will be negligible as far as money and the trade off is something you can't do with any other of the competition is go off roading.

So if your budget is so tight that you can't afford or so freaked out over the cost of fuel to make you disregard it over MAYBE a $5- $12 max difference in cost of fuel per fill up then you need to consider something else all together other than a SUV.
Let's do some math.

Kia soul (comparing the 2011 my wife owns) has a cd of .38. Renegade had .36. The 1.4 has a curb weight of 3183 for 4x4. Renegade has 7 more hp, but 4 more overdrive gears. (You want fuel efficiency, I don't know why you look at the 2.4).

The difference between 35 and 30 at $4 a gallon is $480 a year. Between 32 and 34 is $208. If your world is turned upside down financially over $200 a year, you should be looking at small slippery fwd vehicles, not mini SUVs.
Seems like great minds think alike. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
... If you are splitting hairs over just a couple MPGs between the competition and you want the best MPG possible then you shouldn't get a small crossover at all and go with a Prius C or Mitsubishi Mirage or something like that.

... (You want fuel efficiency, I don't know why you look at the 2.4).

That soul does 30mpg highway. The renegade should do at least the same...

OK Guys,
maybe you missed an important part of this post:

I already have a Car, it is small a sporty car with Manual Gears low profile tires and low center of gravity that is a whole lot of fun to drive, but 5 inches of Snow put a quick stop to it's movability.
Nice part is that i get 35-36mpg on hte Highway with it!

The Car we are looking for will my my Girlfriend Car that WE will use when we will go on Trips.

Unfortunately she doesn't like Manual Gears, and unfortunately the Renegade 1.4 is offered only in Manual, that's when we are forced to the Automatic Version which is only offered with the 2.4 liter Engine.

We need an AWD or a 4WD Car, so at least one of the 2 is capable of handling Snow, she is used to the high ride height of an Off Road so we want an SUV so we will have space for eventual future passengers.

Moral: WE NEED A SMALL SUV

Considering the Jeep Renegade is built and sold with Engine Options that offer 40+ mpg both in Europe and in South America, i can not consider anything that does anything less than 35mpg, because moral of the story is:

30MPG it is a pretty junky mileage!

COME ON, let's face it: in Europe a Car that does less than 47mpg is it considered a low efficiency Car (in Italy you even pay extra property taxes if your car is rated less than 47mpg), there are thousands of Cars in the market in just about all segments that do anywhere between 47 and 70mpg... interestingly: THEY ARE ALL DIESELS

Now, here is the thing: the RENEGADE has a perfect size, it is not too small, it is not too big, it is the perfect car for a family of 3 as far as size, but as any family: leisure trips are part of life

Taking a Trip to Disney World with a Car that has a bad mileage, the trip will be "hampered" by the fuel expenses thus reducing the fun stuff we could do once there.

SO, we have to draw a line... in Europe such line is 20Km/liter, which equals to 47mpg... sadly we know that the US tends to be pretty Fuel Wasteful, so we discounted 10mpg and rounded down to 35mpg

that is the Treshold... 35mpg on the Highway, but we are willing to settle for 33 provided the car does a good city mileage, meaning 25mpg or more.

It is not unreasonable, especially on a Car that at the end of the story is being produced in 2 Factories worldwide, one in Italy and one in Brazil, and from which they build models that do over 40mpg on both.

So we have already spoken with a Dealership that said it should be possible to special import the Renedage Diesel, but there will be costs involved.

We are OK dealing with the extra Costs, after all, it is not just the advantage on the Gas Mileage, but also the fact Diesel Motors require much less Maintenance.

I know the DIESEL MULTIJET by FIAT very well, i owned 2 when i lived in Italy, and i worked on them personally in the shop i used to work for: you do an Oil & Filters (Oil/Air/Fuel) change every 9-10 thousand miles and that's it!

My first Diesel was an ALFA ROMEO 147 Diesel MultiJet with 140hp, i sold it that it had 184k km (about 110k miles) and was still running like a missle!

The second one i had, which my mother still uses in Italy, is an ALFA ROMEO 159 Diesel Multijet with 150hp, at the moment it has 100k miles and still works like a champ!

A Car with an Engine like that would be a dream for us, that's what we would like.

Sadly, it looks we will be forced to settle for something that not only will do less than 40mpg but also will require to be serviced every 5k miles (and NO, i do not trust when they say you can do 7k miles on the same Oil on a Gasoline Motor, i have seen myself what it looks like to do that, and i never seen a Gasoline Motor last too long when serviced that little... 5-6k miles maximum for Oil changes on Gasoline if you want it to last many years)

NOTE: she drives about 25k miles a year

I mean... this is a lose/lose competition.

Don't take me wrong, we haven't already scratched off the RENEGADE, we really like it and we will evaluate every possible way to get it, but so far, it looks pretty bad for us.

But we still hope, maybe they will bring the Diesel for 2016, in which case we could wait for it until end of 2015, but that would be the final deadline... then it will all boil down to a good Fuel Efficiency and good interior space

CIAO

·
Registered
402 Posts
Another point is American vs European gallons. Remember Euro gallons are 160 Oz vs American gallons at 128 Oz. of One Euro gallon equals 1.2 US gallons.

So, you aren't comparing apples to apples when comparing fuel usages between Europe and American.

Scott

·
Registered
602 Posts
OK Guys,
maybe you missed an important part of this post:

I already have a Car, it is small a sporty car with Manual Gears low profile tires and low center of gravity that is a whole lot of fun to drive, but 5 inches of Snow put a quick stop to it's movability.
Nice part is that i get 35-36mpg on hte Highway with it!

The Car we are looking for will my my Girlfriend Car that WE will use when we will go on Trips.

Unfortunately she doesn't like Manual Gears, and unfortunately the Renegade 1.4 is offered only in Manual, that's when we are forced to the Automatic Version which is only offered with the 2.4 liter Engine.

We need an AWD or a 4WD Car, so at least one of the 2 is capable of handling Snow, she is used to the high ride height of an Off Road so we want an SUV so we will have space for eventual future passengers.

Moral: WE NEED A SMALL SUV

Considering the Jeep Renegade is built and sold with Engine Options that offer 40+ mpg both in Europe and in South America, i can not consider anything that does anything less than 35mpg, because moral of the story is:

30MPG it is a pretty junky mileage!

COME ON, let's face it: in Europe a Car that does less than 47mpg is it considered a low efficiency Car (in Italy you even pay extra property taxes if your car is rated less than 47mpg), there are thousands of Cars in the market in just about all segments that do anywhere between 47 and 70mpg... interestingly: THEY ARE ALL DIESELS

Now, here is the thing: the RENEGADE has a perfect size, it is not too small, it is not too big, it is the perfect car for a family of 3 as far as size, but as any family: leisure trips are part of life

Taking a Trip to Disney World with a Car that has a bad mileage, the trip will be "hampered" by the fuel expenses thus reducing the fun stuff we could do once there.

SO, we have to draw a line... in Europe such line is 20Km/liter, which equals to 47mpg... sadly we know that the US tends to be pretty Fuel Wasteful, so we discounted 10mpg and rounded down to 35mpg

that is the Treshold... 35mpg on the Highway, but we are willing to settle for 33 provided the car does a good city mileage, meaning 25mpg or more.

It is not unreasonable, especially on a Car that at the end of the story is being produced in 2 Factories worldwide, one in Italy and one in Brazil, and from which they build models that do over 40mpg on both.

So we have already spoken with a Dealership that said it should be possible to special import the Renedage Diesel, but there will be costs involved.

We are OK dealing with the extra Costs, after all, it is not just the advantage on the Gas Mileage, but also the fact Diesel Motors require much less Maintenance.

I know the DIESEL MULTIJET by FIAT very well, i owned 2 when i lived in Italy, and i worked on them personally in the shop i used to work for: you do an Oil & Filters (Oil/Air/Fuel) change every 9-10 thousand miles and that's it!

My first Diesel was an ALFA ROMEO 147 Diesel MultiJet with 140hp, i sold it that it had 184k km (about 110k miles) and was still running like a missle!

The second one i had, which my mother still uses in Italy, is an ALFA ROMEO 159 Diesel Multijet with 150hp, at the moment it has 100k miles and still works like a champ!

A Car with an Engine like that would be a dream for us, that's what we would like.

Sadly, it looks we will be forced to settle for something that not only will do less than 40mpg but also will require to be serviced every 5k miles (and NO, i do not trust when they say you can do 7k miles on the same Oil on a Gasoline Motor, i have seen myself what it looks like to do that, and i never seen a Gasoline Motor last too long when serviced that little... 5-6k miles maximum for Oil changes on Gasoline if you want it to last many years)

NOTE: she drives about 25k miles a year

I mean... this is a lose/lose competition.

Don't take me wrong, we haven't already scratched off the RENEGADE, we really like it and we will evaluate every possible way to get it, but so far, it looks pretty bad for us.

But we still hope, maybe they will bring the Diesel for 2016, in which case we could wait for it until end of 2015, but that would be the final deadline... then it will all boil down to a good Fuel Efficiency and good interior space

CIAO
Again you are making assumptions when numbers have not even been released yet. If you want something for snow and fowl weather you won't beat the Renegade. And again if your are splitting hairs over a couple MPGs consider a Subaru. They get better MPGs than anything you mentioned. However, with a nine speed transmission I think the mileage is going to be better than most.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Another point is American vs European gallons. Remember Euro gallons are 160 Oz vs American gallons at 128 Oz. of One Euro gallon equals 1.2 US gallons.

So, you aren't comparing apples to apples when comparing fuel usages between Europe and American.

Scott

In Europe the unit of measure is Metric, and no Fractions like in US, so NO Gallons, but Liters, and NO miles but Kilometers.

The Treshhold for a Car to be considered "High Efficiency" in Europe is '20
Kilometers per Liter'

So if you do the Conversion is

20km/L = 47mpg US

I believe the Gallons you were referring to were the UK Gallons which are bigger, and infact

20km/L = 56mpg UK

But reality is that Nobody around the world uses the Imperial Fraction System (confusing & erratic) with the exception of just US & UK

The Jeep Renegade Diesel 2.0 Multijet 170hp does 18km/L which equals to ~43mpg US

In fact in Europe they sell a less powerful version of the same identical Motor but with 30hp less:

The Jeep Renegade Diesel 2.0 Multijet 140hp does exactly 20km/L that equals to ~47mpg which is exactly what needed to avoid the extra property taxes they charge in Italy for vehicles with more than 150hp.

Kinda silly the fact they are forced to sell the same Motor but with 2 different maps to avoid extra taxes, but Italy is all corrupt and any excuse is good to charge extra

But i do hope they will do something here in the US to not let vehicles that do less than 45mpg to get the HEV status, because it would push car manufacturers to start offering in US the High Efficiency Engines the rest of the world has been enjoying for many years already
CIAO

·
Registered
318 Posts

Scott
The main Point is that we over here don´t buy fuel in gallons anyway ... we all buy gas or diesel in liters ... we are metric ... ok those monkeys on the english islands perhaps not but who cares about them anyway ? ... :x;):D>:D

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.